Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    LA CHÈVRE

Mixed review of the new Scalpel

A quick spin review of the new Scalpel from Bike Magic... Not sure how they review usually but they didn't seem to enjoy the new Scalpel that much. Too racy for them? Too flexy? Isn't it supposed to be stiffer than the first Scalpel? A magazine review shouldn't be taken too seriously but since it's the first ride report on the bike...

Last edited by Dan Gerous; 10-02-2007 at 08:43 AM.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

a.k.a.-Cranial Disharmony

eh...

I rode a pre-production model last week and I wasn't moved really one way or another. I can't see 4 inches of rear travel either.It felt like a rush but not as plush. But I think that the Rush races really well and does all things the old Scalpel did well.

It is STUPID light though. The one I rode was 21.3 lbs no pedals.
    "Life sucks, get a fu*king helmet, okay?" - Dennis Leary

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    thats a disappointment to scalpel fans, the first review is not all positive .
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    I rode the new scalpel for about 2 hours on Monday and then 30 Mintues on Tuesday. Getting to the demo first thing on Monday was a good call cause there were no lines and the trails were not clogged.

I took the shuttle to the top of the mountain and rode the easier of the two downhill trails. I mean it is a xc race bike afterall. All i can say is the bike worked perfect. The 69.5 head angle was perfect for the rocky and technical trail. It was so light and so fast. It would go right up the side of the rough climbs. You could climb it standing or sitting(unike the rush which is best climbed in the saddle). It is ligther and stiffer than the old design. More plush though. I thought it railed. On tuesday I hti up the "XC" loop. It worked just as good on the grommed ups and downs and it ralied the switch back decsents.

Now if you don't plan on racing and want a sweet bike, the carbon rush is the way to go. 2nd would be the Titus Carbon Racer X. I will gladly race a scalpel but i would also gladly race a rush. I am a little torn on what to get. I am a 1 bike person so my Taurine is going bye bye.
    one pedal stroke at a time

LA CHÈVRE
    Well, like a Rush but not as plush is to be expected, the rear suspension should be more progressive, less aimed at confort compared to the Rush. It's the lack of lateral stiffness that has me a bit nervous...

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Dog
    I rode the new scalpel for about 2 hours on Monday and then 30 Mintues on Tuesday. Getting to the demo first thing on Monday was a good call cause there were no lines and the trails were not clogged.

I took the shuttle to the top of the mountain and rode the easier of the two downhill trails. I mean it is a xc race bike afterall. All i can say is the bike worked perfect. The 69.5 head angle was perfect for the rocky and technical trail. It was so light and so fast. It would go right up the side of the rough climbs. You could climb it standing or sitting(unike the rush which is best climbed in the saddle). It is ligther and stiffer than the old design. More plush though. I thought it railed. On tuesday I hti up the "XC" loop. It worked just as good on the grommed ups and downs and it ralied the switch back decsents.

Now if you don't plan on racing and want a sweet bike, the carbon rush is the way to go. 2nd would be the Titus Carbon Racer X. I will gladly race a scalpel but i would also gladly race a rush. I am a little torn on what to get. I am a 1 bike person so my Taurine is going bye bye.
    I want a racy bike, a missile, my Prophet will handle the more relaxed or more technical rides...

banned

Wonder what you would think about any other bike with a HA of 68-66 on a downhill.

mtbr member
    I would think they were slow for that trail. The downhill wasn't really a downhill per say. It was up and down, no drops or jumps, but steep rocks and tight turns. It was more a rough XC/ normal AM type trail.

Overall I think everyone was really impressed with the new scalpel but the old one was so good. So basicaly they have a little better preformance but a lot more travel.

banned
    I just think the market in this area is so crowded that at this point, many shortcomings will become magnified.

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    It doesn't seem too bad to me. They complain that it is a race bike and that it is not a tech riders bike. Well as far as I can tell that was the intention. To win world cups. It's like buying a Ferrari and then saying it sucks in stop and go traffic. Well of course it does...That thing only wants to go faaaaasssssst...

One other point...Is it really possible to make a 22 lb bike super stiff? At some point people need to give up on nit-picking and just ride the damn thing. Decide for yourself, don't let some guy who is biased tell you whats up. Let your own bias decide for yourself

-R

LA CHÈVRE
    I agree with you Ron, it's just hard from these reviews to know if it's flexy compared to other true race XC bikes or flexy compared to all-mountain or stout trail bikes... Magazine reviews always have to be taken with a grain of salt, I trust A-Dog much more than magazine writers..

There's only one way to really know...
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 10-02-2007 at 12:12 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Size?

Unless something is terribly different then my current Scalpel, it looks like a ton of seatpost is showing relative to the bar height. High seatpost plus a low flat bar makes for a sketchy ride on ANY bike. First thing that comes off my new Scalpel is the flat bar for an Easton carbon low rise. I don't have near that amount of seatpost showing on my Med. and I am 5'10".
    Also what's up with the missing chain ring bolt, how stiff could the drivetrain be with that, seemed to be the only thing he was impressed with...........

mad aussie
    Dan, I would wait until one of the Euro mags actually objectively measures the stiffness (usually on some kind of frame jig that applies a certain load) and actually measures deflection to see how the bike rates. A lot could go into a feeling of "flex" such as loose rear wheel bearings or bushing wear.
    I do have to admit that it does concen me somewhat, I prefer my bikes to be stiff and accurate. It does push me in the direction I am leaning right now of getting a Taurine. I see Tinker has been using his a lot for Marathon and 24 hour racing.........

Kevin

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The most unattractive part of the new Scalpel is the price. How much is that bike $5-6-7,000 dollars? I have not ridden one so I cannot comment on the ride...but it did win the World Championship.

I ride Cannondale hardtails and have borrowed Scalpels before. I really like the way they setup. Very fast bike. Very fast. I can take a little different lines than I can with my hardtails and shave a little time here and there per lap on a race course.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

lateral flexy

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    I agree with you Ron, it's just hard from these reviews to know if it's flexy compared to other true race XC bikes or flexy compared to all-mountain or stout trail bikes... Magazine reviews always have to be taken with a grain of salt, I trust A-Dog much more than magazine writers..

There's only one way to really know...

Hi boys,
    well, as i remarked a few months ago on Rush section, the only defect i found on Rush (ALU) is the (little??) lateral swingarm flex, which is well noticeable if you put a finger between the seat tube and upper side of swingarm, close to the shock joints. Some other owners of Rush carbon told that maybe it was a little reduced on the carbon version (the famous, but, in my opinion, only a little useful for the problem), but not sure. Well: at this time, maybe i'll shift to new scalpel only if this problem is definitely (at least almost...) fixed. What do you and reviewers mean with lateral flexy?? The same of me?
    Not that it's a big problem and i noticed it only LOOKING at: but if it's there, for sure it sucks. So, what new scalpel should have to appeal me (and not only me, i suppose...) is not only the 1-1.5 kgs shave, but also the rear swingam stiffnes, that should be AT LEAST higher than carbon and alu rush.
    Elsewhere, as i race only a few, i'd go for upgrading to carbon rush.

mtbr member
    First off, I'm a huge fan of cdale, particularly the Scalpel. I had the opportunity to ride the new scalpel for a very short time today. My ride was in a parking lot. My goal was to get to the bottom of the lateral stiffness issue. In my opinion, it is no better than the old scalpel. But at the same time it is NO WORSE and it has way more travel. The thing I noticed most is that the suspension felt as if it had the smoothest pivots ever (though of course it has none). I'm still going to need to trail ride this thing before I buy it, but I am very optimistic about my future with one. I think they managed to make a bike with longer travel, lighter and it probably tracks just as well as the old Scalpel. One thing everyone must not forget, the old Scalpel is a great machine. So just to lighten it up a bit, move the rear shock to a better place, and almost double it's effective travel without losing anything it had before should be enough.

SkotOn
    Jun 2005
    what happend to the carbon fiber rear fork?

mad aussie
    Quote Originally Posted by jiina
    Hi boys,
    well, as i remarked a few months ago on Rush section, the only defect i found on Rush (ALU) is the (little??) lateral swingarm flex, which is well noticeable if you put a finger between the seat tube and upper side of swingarm, close to the shock joints. Some other owners of Rush carbon told that maybe it was a little reduced on the carbon version (the famous, but, in my opinion, only a little useful for the problem), but not sure. Well: at this time, maybe i'll shift to new scalpel only if this problem is definitely (at least almost...) fixed. What do you and reviewers mean with lateral flexy?? The same of me?
    Not that it's a big problem and i noticed it only LOOKING at: but if it's there, for sure it sucks. So, what new scalpel should have to appeal me (and not only me, i suppose...) is not only the 1-1.5 kgs shave, but also the rear swingam stiffnes, that should be AT LEAST higher than carbon and alu rush.
    Elsewhere, as i race only a few, i'd go for upgrading to carbon rush.
    For 08 the Rush now has a small bridge bolted on to the swingarm behind the seat tube. Comparing an 08 SL alloy with an 07 alloy side by side on the shop floor the old fashioned rear end hand flex test shows it has helped to stiffen up the rear end quite a bit. Here is a review from interbike of the Rush, Scalpel and Taurine.

Interbike Reviews

Interesting that on this review the reviewer noted that the Scalpel had good stiffness on the front end. I would find it hard to believe that the front triangle would have much flex given the stiffness ratings of the System Six that uses a very similar front triangle. Any flex would have to come from the rear triangle. The demo truck is supposed to be at Tour of the White Mountains this weekend so hopefully I can get to try a few of the bikes in person as unfortunately I had to miss Interbike this year.

Kevin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Wombat
    For 08 the Rush now has a small bridge bolted on to the swingarm behind the seat tube. Comparing an 08 SL alloy with an 07 alloy side by side on the shop floor the old fashioned rear end hand flex test shows it has helped to stiffen up the rear end quite a bit. Here is a review from interbike of the Rush, Scalpel and Taurine.

Interbike Reviews

Interesting that on this review the reviewer noted that the Scalpel had good stiffness on the front end. I would find it hard to believe that the front triangle would have much flex given the stiffness ratings of the System Six that uses a very similar front triangle. Any flex would have to come from the rear triangle. The demo truck is supposed to be at Tour of the White Mountains this weekend so hopefully I can get to try a few of the bikes in person as unfortunately I had to miss Interbike this year.

Kevin
    the 07 carbun rushes had the small bridge in the swing arm. it deffintely helped.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

awesome ride

I had the chance to spend 1.5 hours on a team Scalpel today. I could not be more impressed. It climbs like , or better than my Taurine , and rails corners and downhills like my carbon Rush. I also felt like the suspension was smooth , and I was surprised a bit at the performance of the DT Swiss shock. All in all a great bike.....can't wait to own one.

mnt bike laws of physics
    the 07 carbun rushes had the small bridge in the swing arm. it deffintely helped.
    Did you ride a Carbon Rush without the bridge? I believe most of the flex is coming from the front triangle flexing where the swingarm attaches and not the swingarm. The swingarm was already super stiff before they added the bridge.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

stiff

My carb rush oes have the bridge.....both bikes are great . The Rush is an all mtn. plabike compared to the Scalpel....it ia a race bike for sure...but still fun to ride.

mnt bike laws of physics

1 water bottle

All of the guys I race with (at least the ones who do really well) race Scalpels. They all have their orders in for the '08. I notice that they all race with 2 water bottles. I wonder what they will do now. I would personally not consider the one under the down tube. I race the Rush and use a Camel Back if 1 water bottle is not enough.
    The new Scalpel frame is about 1 pound lighter than the Carbon Rush - almost all from the rear end and a little from the shock although you can change the shock on the Rush. I would think that a lighter person would be better off with the Scalpel or the Taurine - as most racers are light. My racing weight is about 200lbs. so the Rush does it for me.
    The new Scalpel's rear assembly cannot be as stiff as the Rush's thich a$$ heavy aluminum swingarm. One needs to decide if overall stiffness is more important than being 1 lb. lighter.
    To each there own.
    One thing is for sure as most of us know at the Cannondale camp. The choices are clear. It is either Cdale or Cdale or Cdale.
    1) Lefty SL
    2) SI stem
    3) Sweet carbon frames
    4) SL Crankset
    5) yada yada yada

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    A quick spin review of the new Scalpel from Bike Magic... Not sure how they review usually but they didn't seem to enjoy the new Scalpel that much. Too racy for them? Too flexy? Isn't it supposed to be stiffer than the first Scalpel? A magazine review shouldn't be taken too seriously but since it's the first ride report on the bike...

Who cares about the review from a bike mag??? If I'm intrested in a bike (or anything else) I'll check it out and decide for myself.

Cannondale Snob
    Quite frankly, this bike has to be a no-compromise race machine, otherwise everyone would be better off buying the Rush. They are too similar otherwise. Personally, I'm hoping for a glut of old Scalpels to hit the market and drive the price down to something I might be able to afford.
    '06 Cannondale Rush 1000 4" travel 27lbs
    '04 Cannondale F600 SOBE -STOLEN!
    '96 Cannondale Uber-V 6" travel 30lbs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast