Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Might be picking up a MINT 2006 Scalpel

Hey guys, 2006 Scalpel with a carbon lefty, xt/xtr accessories. My only concern it is a size Large. I am a 32 inch seam 5'11. to big?? I will be seeing the bike this weekend. trying to figure out the value of it. it has about 400 miles on it total. the guy switched roadie along time ago. You think the size is right???

thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    nice find -
    I think the size is right, Im 5'8 with a 30" inseam and fits perfectly on a medium

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    thanks for the reply. How did these frames hold up?? it is superb cond and wants $1300 for the bike. what ya think?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

nice-

my first Scalpel was a 2004 - I kinda miss it. The alluminum frame and minimal travel felt very stiff compared to my then Jekyl but you will adjust to it very quickly.

I would familiarize with the set up first then upgrade to your likings. I would change the gearings from a 3x9 to a 2x9 and upgrade the wheelset

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks for the reply man. What do yuo think of the $1300 PRICE TAG??? good deal??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Might be picking up a MINT 2006 Scalpel-scalpel-small-.jpg  

mtbr member
    That bike is really tough to beat. Those frames are tough and there is just enough suspension to take the edge off. I won my first race on one of them. Oh, those were the days...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    rum, what do you think of the price though? $1300 seems fair??

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Double check the size, that looks like a XL size from the pic. That would be too big for you.

The bent top tube on the L size for that model year was more noticeable.

Measure the seat tube, you can get the measurements for each size from the archives at Cannondale website.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks, I will confirm it. What about the asking price, what ya think?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Confirmed, it is a Large. I am still questioning if it is a good deal though? bike is superb cond, not a scratch on it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I tend to agree with jiar577 the frame looks like it's an XL size as a large size would have a more prominent bend. Only ways to really find out is to check underneath the bottom bracket as there are numbers stamped into the alloy as well as stickers placed alongside which will indicate the size of the frame. I don't trust the stickers placed on the seat tube that cannondale place to indicate what size it is as i have seen medium stickers placed on large framed bikes before.
    As for the asking price of the Scalpel i think it's a really good deal just check the bike over throughly lefty's fork bearings, locks out to full potential, both shocks hold air, all pivot points on the rear stays & carbon chainstay for any defects. Are those rims Mavic 819's with the rear rim installed laced to a Cannondale wind titanuim hub or omega ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks, I will get the info from the owner.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bermudarocks View Post
    I tend to agree with jiar577 the frame looks like it's an XL size as a large size would have a more prominent bend. Only ways to really find out is to check underneath the bottom bracket as there are numbers stamped into the alloy as well as stickers placed alongside which will indicate the size of the frame. I don't trust the stickers placed on the seat tube that cannondale place to indicate what size it is as i have seen medium stickers placed on large framed bikes before.
    As for the asking price of the Scalpel i think it's a really good deal just check the bike over throughly lefty's fork bearings, locks out to full potential, both shocks hold air, all pivot points on the rear stays & carbon chainstay for any defects. Are those rims Mavic 819's with the rear rim installed laced to a Cannondale wind titanuim hub or omega ?
    Burm, the wheels are 819, rear hub is cannondale ti and front omega. still getting serial number

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I insist, that's a XL frame I'm 99% sure based on that pic. Can you get & post a pic taken from the side?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Here you go, hopefully you are wrong
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Might be picking up a MINT 2006 Scalpel-side-small-.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images    

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    What a bummer can't read those letters/numbers as they are underneath that black cable guide. all you need to look for is the letters LG which will indicate the frame is a large typo XL extra large, MD medium & SM small

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    NP, I got a huge pic of it, looking at it now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    yep, cant read it even when zoomed in, must be directly behind the cable guide. He is getting back to me on that. Whats your thoughts on the other pics?? Bike looks good?? decent gear? thanks man!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    From what i can see the bike looks like it's in very good condition especially that close up pic of the BB area. (cosmetically perfect)
    The bike is equipped with xt groupo, a carbon lefty, Mavic rims & a fox RP3 rear shock you cant go wrong with that.
    Just need to find out if it's an XL or large? I'm 6ft 1" & once upon a time had a 2006 cannondale scalpel in an XL size & it was just too long for me even with a 90mm stem, it just did not fit me right thus went back to a large size & all is good.

pic is of a large sized scalpel note the more prominent angle of the top tube.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Berm, it is confirmed. it is a L. There is only an L above the serial number on the frame. Looks like I am going to pick this puppy up soon thanks for all your help! BTW. whats the weak spot on these bikes?? wheels??

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Don't want to piss on your cheerios but that's a XL frame.

Look at the pic that bermudarocks posted, that's how the top tube on a Large scalpel should look.

Search for the Post your Scalpel thread and look into older posts, see some pics and read descriptions. I'm sure you'll find at least one pic showing the difference in the top tube between L & XL frames, the latest looking like the one you want to buy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    See post #63 in the Post your Scalpel thread, that's a L frame size.

Can you note the difference?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    So is this guy talking smack??? is it possible its the camera shots?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    hmm, dont know what to think now. the bike is 2 hours from me. He seems to be an honest guy but something is up?? This is a size large from that post you are talking about. I see what you are saying.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Might be picking up a MINT 2006 Scalpel-side-small-.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast