Ridin' dirty!

Good job! Mendon, you're the best!

I finally managed to finish my "Franken Lefty" project today thanks to Mendon who was extremely helpful answering all of my questions......believe me....I had - A LOT- of questions......
    Here's a quick rundown:
    Got rid of my Prophet, replaced it with a Rush.
    Kept my Lefty Max carbon, which sucked on the Rush.
    Bought a used Lefty Speed DLR2 with broken upper on eBay.
    Mated the Lower of the DLR2 with the Uppers of my MAX.
    Upgraded the DLR2 internals with a 2011 PBR....
    I guess I lost 10mm of suspension (PBR 100 vs DLR2 110) but I can't really tell.....it is unbelievably smooth now...can't wait to hit the trails tomorrow!

For anyone thinking about upgrading their old lefties: Go ahead, it's definitely worth the money!

Funny thing is that nobody seems to know about these 2011 kits for older lefties...
    One of my German buddies e-mailed cannondale Oldenzaal and they didn't know about it, my lbs was clueless and so was 88+ (My bud e-mailed them too).

So: THANKS A BUNCH, CRAIG!
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

LA CHÈVRE
    You remind me, I have to send him two Lefty Speeds that are laying on my living room floor, spring's coming fast!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Ridin' dirty!
    Do you need them serviced or do you want to upgrade them too?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    + 1 for MCS!

Craig refurbished an older lefty (with very rusty, crusty races among other problems) for a friend of mine.

The lefty now works very well and my friend is a much happier first gen Jekyll rider.

If your lefty needs work send it to MCS.
    Forks are for eating, Lefty's are for racing,

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac
    Funny thing is that nobody seems to know about these 2011 kits for older lefties...
    It is odd, considering that they were all sent the info. Perhaps they just don't grasp the potential, or they'd rather sell a new fork to you, or, they simply aren't behind the Lefty (that'd be dealers I'm thinking of, not 88+ etc).

Glad that worked out for you, I can't wait to get my 140 Carbon updated, it's gonna make my Milk Money one sick unit!

Thanks for the kind words, these sort of threads always make me
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    how much weight did you save

Music & Bikes
    +1 for Mendon.

Got excellent service on my very old and very beaten up Headshock
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by danridesbikes
    how much weight did you save
    You know what? I didn't even bother putting things on the scale......I'm not a weight weenie and on top of that I couldn't wait to get it installed after UPS delivered it......
    The cartridge itself was pretty much the same size as the old one, but the solo air system only had 1 elastomer instead of 2 but came with a longer air spacer.
    So my guess would be weight is the same as before....

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    So what is the deal with the 2011 Upgrade kits for older Lefties? I have a Carbon Lefty DLR that came on an 04 Scalpel 3000.

Quote Originally Posted by ssc280
    So what is the deal with the 2011 Upgrade kits for older Lefties? I have a Carbon Lefty DLR that came on an 04 Scalpel 3000.
    Sorry, just 2005 and newer. The threading changed in 2005 to metric, and since it's still that, newer stuff can be made to fit. Older? Hope it works well, If so, it should continue to do so for a while to come with proper loving care.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mnt bike laws of physics
    Yes, time for some service from the Lefty Guru.
    Mendon, I have (2) 2007 DLR SL 110mm cartridges laying around that both have the same problem. They both lost their rebound damping in the same way. That is, they lost it not at one instant but over about an hours time while I was riding. One lasted me 3 years and the other 6 months before it went kaput.
    Can you fix them?

BTW cdalemaniac, I am doing almost the opposite of you. I am taking the 110 Lefty from the Rush and moving it to the Prophet with a 650b wheel up front. Personally, I like the Prophet for how stiff it is compared to the Rush and the Prophet has a longer TT and I am sick of using 120mm+ stems to compensate for a bike that is too short. They are both XLs.

Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    They both lost their rebound damping in the same way. That is, they lost it not at one instant but over about an hours time while I was riding. One lasted me 3 years and the other 6 months before it went kaput.
    Can you fix them?
    Tough telling from the back seat where I am

Question, is the lock out complete? If not, you likely have a leak somehow/where. Otherwise, it sounds like tired oil, a broken shim in the rebound circuit, etc.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Sorry, just 2005 and newer. The threading changed in 2005 to metric, and since it's still that, newer stuff can be made to fit. Older? Hope it works well, If so, it should continue to do so for a while to come with proper loving care.
    You serviced it a couple of months ago so it should be good to go.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Tough telling from the back seat where I am

Question, is the lock out complete? If not, you likely have a leak somehow/where. Otherwise, it sounds like tired oil, a broken shim in the rebound circuit, etc.
    Yea, I'm prettty sure the lockout works.
    I do know that friends and fellow racers did have problems with the same damper. I was fortunate for my first one to last so long.

Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    Yea, I'm prettty sure the lockout works.
    I do know that friends and fellow racers did have problems with the same damper. I was fortunate for my first one to last so long.
    They generally hold up pretty well. The SL versions had some issues with the connection point between upper and lower shafts causing a slight misalignment, which caused quick wearing, then leaking.

The standard ones work well, and with a normal service interval, seem to be work horses. Common breakage parts are still the same as ever, so no worries there.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Ridin' dirty!
    Ok. So here's the deal:
    I rode it for about 2 hrs. and overall it handles pretty nice....not as plush as before with the DLR2 internals and a black negative spring though....
    It seems to be much firmer overall with less small bump compliance so I wonder if it's because the 100pbr cartridge is valved for XC racing rigs like the Flash and Scalpel and therefore more stiff??
    Is this the only upgrade possible for the older lefties??? Maybe the 120pbr cartridge would have been a better choice?? Or doesn't it fit the Speed forks??
    The damping in the fully opened position is like 5 clicks in on the DLR which I really like

Ok. So here's the deal:

Hmmmm, the conundrum begins.

Shoot me an email, there's a bunch of details to check, and I don't want to bore the masses with it all. It should be more plush, not less.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Ok. So here's the deal:
    I rode it for about 2 hrs. and overall it handles pretty nice....not as plush as before with the DLR2 internals and a black negative spring though....
    It seems to be much firmer overall with less small bump compliance so I wonder if it's because the 100pbr cartridge is valved for XC racing rigs like the Flash and Scalpel and therefore more stiff??
    Is this the only upgrade possible for the older lefties??? Maybe the 120pbr cartridge would have been a better choice?? Or doesn't it fit the Speed forks??
    The damping in the fully opened position is like 5 clicks in on the DLR which I really like
    You're probably feeling the new low speed compression damping check valve. While it does slightly cut down on the small bump compliance, it does add improved handling during heavy braking and allows you to ride higher in the travel. Now, that being said, you can have the check valve removed and increase the small bump compliance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Mendon Me Love Lefty TPC+ Max Rebuild

This is redundant but thanks Mendon Cycle Smith for the Lefty TPC+ Max rebuild (from a Jekyll 3000 model yr 2003. Works great!

Ridin' dirty!
    Thanks Headshok'r
    After messing around with various pressure settings I think I have dialed it in to my liking.....I have to run it with way less than I did before.....I was skeptical at first to do so because I thought that automatically would mean more diving while braking, but to my surprise it's the same if not less than with my previous internals.....
    So I'm real happy I did this upgrade....money well spent!

Still wonder if a 120pbr cartridge would fit.....