mtbr member

Mech vs Hydro rear brake on Jekyll

I'm about to replace my rear brake (Coda Expert Hydraulic) with an Avid mechanical but I just read in one of the magazines that anything other than hydraulic in the rear of a Jekyll will be mushy due to the cable routing wierdness.

Anyone using mechanical disk brakes on the rear care to share?

Thanks.

mtbr member

avid

fear not and go with the avid mech. i switched the coda out for shimano xt at first and then to the avid mech on my jekyll. i have had them there for 3 years now and they work great and always have. i ended up using more cable housing on mine. i run full housing until the rear seat stay, then just cable for one foot, then back to housing into the rear der. ( in my case the sram xo, another great addition) go with avid speed dial levers (i went witht the 7.0) and the adjustability is endless.

Good Luck
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Thanx for the reply and the reassurance. This is a great forum since there are lots of Jekyll rider out there to get advice from.

Thanx again,

Ed

mtbr member
    I put Avid Mechanicals on my 2004 Jekyll and they are buttery smooth with no mush. However, I did route the cable a little differently than Cannondale did. I'm not going to try and explain what I did differently, partly because I don't really remember how it was originally routed, but my point is, consider your routing options before just blindly following what C'dale did. Look for a path with the gentlest curves in the housing, and consider what will happen when the suspension compresses. I let the air out of my shock so I could compress it and see what happens. And as others suggested, run full length housing. It won't by mushy or high friction, but it will help keep junk out.

Tinker Tailor
    Have Avid mechs on my 04 Jekyll 600 and can not complain. Solid braking and very smoothe. The front may need a little tweaking to make up for the lockups,but besides that the work very well. The Avid click adjusters are really easy to use making adjusting a sinch.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback. I took my jekyll on a first real ride with the mechs and they are awesome. No mushiness issues at all.

Yes, very adjustable. I'm impressed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'd say mechanical until i rode my friend's Specialized with hydrolics... amazing. I've never felt anything nicer. It isn't that mechanicals won't lock your wheel, but hydros are so smooth and they lock with the slightest touch. On the downside, they are probably a pain to maintain and are generally more expensive.