don't stop
    Mar 2009

MBAction Review of the Trigger 29er 1

The last line says it all: "The Trigger 29er is nothing short of revolutionary."

'nuff said. I've read a lot of MBAction reviews over the years, and this is the first review that ended like that. If you think you need more, here are some other excerpts...

"It only takes one pedal to realize you have never ridden a bike like the Trigger 29er. It messes with your mind. The Lefty looks massive and the tires are gigantic, but you don't feel like you are pushing a tank. It steers with light input, and the drivetrain gets all 30 pounds rolling along nicely."

"All of Cannondale's tweaks to the Lefty and those big axles in the rear suspension make for an incredibly stiff bike laterally. Again, it messes with your mind. We constantly found ourselves intentionally taking the worst lines (ruts, flat-edged rocks, off-camber) in corners just to see if we could detect a weak spot. We couldn't."

"It remains plenty stable at speed, but never feels like some raked-out, lethargic downhill bike when you want to change a line. The suspension soaks up landings with a progressive feel - and forget about flex throwing you off. It is just not going to happen."

"Cannondale's sponsored enduro riders will be reluctant to go for the bigger wheels. Our advice is to keep an open mind. This bike is full of surprises."

"Even if you've never pictured yourself as a Lefty (or Cannondale) owner, you need to seek out a demo ride on this bike. It is really different than anything we've ever ridden, and you feel that difference very quickly."

"The bike is such a departure that riders will have to rethink how they ride. Honestly, your brain will have to lighten up and let you ride stuff you avoided in the past."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by runbaileyrun View Post
    The last line says it all: "The Trigger 29er is nothing short of revolutionary."

'nuff said. I've read a lot of MBAction reviews over the years, and this is the first review that ended like that. If you think you need more, here are some other excerpts...

"It only takes one pedal to realize you have never ridden a bike like the Trigger 29er. It messes with your mind. The Lefty looks massive and the tires are gigantic, but you don't feel like you are pushing a tank. It steers with light input, and the drivetrain gets all 30 pounds rolling along nicely."

"All of Cannondale's tweaks to the Lefty and those big axles in the rear suspension make for an incredibly stiff bike laterally. Again, it messes with your mind. We constantly found ourselves intentionally taking the worst lines (ruts, flat-edged rocks, off-camber) in corners just to see if we could detect a weak spot. We couldn't."

"It remains plenty stable at speed, but never feels like some raked-out, lethargic downhill bike when you want to change a line. The suspension soaks up landings with a progressive feel - and forget about flex throwing you off. It is just not going to happen."

"Cannondale's sponsored enduro riders will be reluctant to go for the bigger wheels. Our advice is to keep an open mind. This bike is full of surprises."

"Even if you've never pictured yourself as a Lefty (or Cannondale) owner, you need to seek out a demo ride on this bike. It is really different than anything we've ever ridden, and you feel that difference very quickly."

"The bike is such a departure that riders will have to rethink how they ride. Honestly, your brain will have to lighten up and let you ride stuff you avoided in the past."
    I could not agree more. Although I am a relative novice, only riding mountain bikes for one year and starting out late at 56 years old I find myself riding like a true intermediate level on this bike. I rode Lake Norman NC's Laurel loop, 9 mi. of what I call difficult terrain with lots of climbing, with surprising ease yesterday. I cleared all but one steep section, mostly due to lack of fitness but the downhill sections at speed is where I was really surprised. Although I am not afraid of speed on another bike I would have had a lot more hesitation. I was what I call, (railing it) through the downhill corners and that's exactly what it felt like. The bike absorbed every thing and kept me on my line and stable. As far as bike weight, I didn't notice that it is about six pounds heavier than my Superfly. If you have any legs at all this bike will climb like a goat. I used the 80mm option for most of the climbs. When I left it in the 130 mode I could tell I had much more bob.
    This bike is every thing (they), say it is.

ONE NEGATIVE TO ADD:
    That patent leather saddle has to go! Although completely comfortable my shorts made a crazy scrunching sound for the entire ride. Fortunately I was riding alone so no one else was bothered. LOL
    Last edited by gcappy; 04-04-2013 at 03:12 PM. Reason: addition

Icebiker
    Thanks for posting the MBA review. I also agree fully. I have been riding for close to 25 years now and prefer very technical east coast trails. At 6' 3", I find 29'ers are just right for me, but always felt my 100mm of travel (which until the last few years was the norm for 29'er FS bikes) was often overwhelmed on my hairier rides. I came close to buying a Tallboy LT based on the feedback from the forums and the mags, but when I got wind of the Trigger 29er last summer I held out. I'm glad I did. Love being able to climb smoother sections with shorter travel, then open it up for the nasty stuff, 1.5" headtube (can you say stiff!), and the lifetime frame warranty. Tallboy LT, while certainly a lust-worthy bike, doesn't come with any of these. And Cannondale's buying power got me a Fox 34 fork which would have cost me much more from a boutique brand.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugeye View Post
    Thanks for posting the MBA review. I also agree fully. I have been riding for close to 25 years now and prefer very technical east coast trails. At 6' 3", I find 29'ers are just right for me, but always felt my 100mm of travel (which until the last few years was the norm for 29'er FS bikes) was often overwhelmed on my hairier rides. I came close to buying a Tallboy LT based on the feedback from the forums and the mags, but when I got wind of the Trigger 29er last summer I held out. I'm glad I did. Love being able to climb smoother sections with shorter travel, then open it up for the nasty stuff, 1.5" headtube (can you say stiff!), and the lifetime frame warranty. Tallboy LT, while certainly a lust-worthy bike, doesn't come with any of these. And Cannondale's buying power got me a Fox 34 fork which would have cost me much more from a boutique brand.
    Thanks to runbaileyrun for being the op on that.
    I love my Trigger 29er-1

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm so close to buying this bike. The only thing stopping me from buying this bike yesterday was because I'm still debating on:
    - Ibis HD
    - Specialized Enduro 29er
    - Santa Cruz Bronson
    - Yeti SB95

This world is so cruel!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by racinghk View Post
    I'm so close to buying this bike. The only thing stopping me from buying this bike yesterday was because I'm still debating on:
    - Ibis HD
    - Specialized Enduro 29er
    - Santa Cruz Bronson
    - Yeti SB95

This world is so cruel!

I got the trigger 29er 2 and took it for a 22mile xc ride the other day, it was PHENOMINAL, stiff, great suspension super stable at speed, comfortable and FAST!

I also ride a 2010 giant anthem x, and 2008 scalpel team, and the trigger makes them both look boring and inadequate. I wish i had the extra grand for the 1 but I am happy with the fox forks. Do your self a favor and get the trigger!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Anyone have a scanned version of the article?