mtbr member
    Jun 2017

(Maybe) Funny Noob Story

I'm new to bikes, or, at least, to repairing them. I have a Trail 5. It's plenty of bike for me. Anyway, I crashed the other day, and the handlebars were knocked out of alignment with the front wheel.

I put the bike in my son's repair stand (mistake #1). I then removed the stem bolt (mistake #2) and loosened the 2 pinch bolts near the top of the stem. After I got the handlebars where I wanted them, I started putting the stem bolt back in. At that point, I must have jostled it just right, and the wheel and fork drop to the ground. Bearings and spacers and all kinds of additional pieces just bounce into every nook and cranny of my garage in every direction.

I can't find any comprehensive assembly instructions on the internet, so not only do I have no real idea of what pieces go where and in what order, but I have no real idea if I even found all the pieces.

So, unless someone here has a blow out diagram of this particular bike's stem, I'm gonna have to bring it to my LBS. Any suggestions that don't me feel even more inadequate are appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Oops!
    (Do not take this as a dig, it's not) Given your mechanical skills I'd definitely have a shop or someone competent put it back together. Perhaps you could watch or take it apart after the fact to learn what does what. With that said, I'm sure you could find a blow up + youtube vids and some patience to figure it out.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Oops!
    (Do not take this as a dig, it's not) Given your mechanical skills I'd definitely have a shop or someone competent put it back together. Perhaps you could watch or take it apart after the fact to learn what does what. With that said, I'm sure you could find a blow up + youtube vids and some patience to figure it out.
    No worries. I'm a pretty confident person telling a self deprecating story. I'm not really ashamed, just being playful.

Yeah, I looked long and hard for a video, parts list, or diagram...just couldn't find one.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Sheldon Brown is a good place to start

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/headsets.html
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Cycologist
    Looking at the specs on Cannondale's site, it looks to be a FSA 1-1/8" Semi Integrated Headset. This is what most of the pieces are from, along with spacers that raise the stem on the steer tube (and they may also be on top).

Documentation | Full Speed Ahead

But you do want it back on right, a headset that comes apart or loosens when your are riding is not a good thing.
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams.