mtbr member
    May 2005

Max or optimal rotor size

I was wondering what is the biggest rotor I can use on the Prophet??? thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    No problem running a Hayes 8" in the rear on my 4x. I have 8" up front, as well, but I'm not running a Lefty...

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    8 inches, no worries.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Cool just to decide what to replace the LX I have...need to decide soon, so I can give them to my bro for his bike.....Juicy &, Marta, Hope, Hayes.......trying to find the right price, works great and looks cool.......

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Stfightr
    trying to find the right price, works great and looks cool.......
    Let me know if you find that equation...it'd be like a partial reversal of the Bontrager Rule of Bike Component Equivalence.

Why switch from your LXs instead of just upping your rotor size? Make your brother hunt for new stuff...

If I were you, I'd find some old Hayes Mags and maybe put aftermarket levers on them if that's your thing. Old but dead reliable. Hopes are awesome...I just got tired of how finicky they tend to be. But I think Shimano are great, as well, honestly...most modern disc brakes work fine if you set them up right. Even Dia-Compe hydros work well.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The LX brakes really work great, but the lever sucks.....I'm 5' 11" 260 lifter, Chiropractor with big hands and they are just not happening for me.....buying my brother a Cannondale F series to replace his Old Mongoose, so since it has mechanical brakes, I'll give him these...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    If you have big hands, the GRC moto lever blades might be your thing...I think they might even make 'em for Shimano. They definitely made them for Hayes Mags.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'll check them out thanks much......