mtbr member
    May 2007

Mavic Crossmax ST on a Prophet Lefty

I have done the searches, but how is it on the Lefty? I ride agressive XC, but those 4 ft drop offs are avoided by myself.

I'm looking for a front wheel for my Prohet 600 with the Lefty Max(stock wheel and rim). I have the CK with an mavic 819 on the rear and love it.

I want to lighten up the front. I looked at the crossmax slr, but the 17 mm rim kind of eliminated that because I like to run a 2.3 front end once in a while(and they are pricey).

I was thinking the ST are the trick (under $400 a plus). They are lighter than the Omega hub with a 819 24 hole, (745 g for the ST and
    830 g for the 819)

Who had ridden on these ST front lefty's? Impressions???? compared to 819 set ups?
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I doubt you'll really notice the weight, but the stiffer spokes are a big benefit in cornering stability. I loved my Crossmax SL's, till I discovered I9's, then it was game over for Mavic
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

ganginwood
    so your saying the i9 aluminum spokes are stiffer than the bladed crossmax spokes? i'm not doubting you, i'm just trying to decide between the two and you the first one i've heard say that. can you expand your thoughts?
    i've been on crossmax for years and i can say with certainty that they are bombproof. however, some of the reps i have ridden with will run i9's for the weight (to show a light bike to shop owners) but admit to not liking them as much as the crossmax because of the stiffness.
    i'm in that 29er lefty/crossmax dilema which is why i ask. i9's might be my only light option.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ganginwood
    so your saying the i9 aluminum spokes are stiffer than the bladed crossmax spokes? i'm not doubting you, i'm just trying to decide between the two and you the first one i've hea
    Nope, not stiffer per spoke, in fact I have no info as to that comparison. What I can say is, 32 spokes is stiffer than 20 some odd. Toss in that you can build with an 819 for equal rim status, as well as a Stan's for a lighter, non UST tubeless wheel, (offered in 3 rim widths). Or, any other rim you can think of. Plus, the engagement of the rear hub, and the option of colors, and well, I'm not a marketing guy, but that's a winner in my book.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    i was dead set on getting a st front wheel, but i think a 819 built up properly can handle more carnage. i've read online that some people have a problem of spokes coming loose after drops and hard impacts due to how they are attached to the rim, so i ended up keeping my 819 front wheel, with crossmax xl in the rear. works as a charm and is cheaper to repair or replace. i basically ride am or enduro (and i'll prob use this bike for some 4x too), but do it full throttle, so the gear needs to be light but as bombproof as possible.i think the st is more for the marathon/am crowd

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    I doubt you'll really notice the weight, but the stiffer spokes are a big benefit in cornering stability. I loved my Crossmax SL's, till I discovered I9's, then it was game over for Mavic
    I looked at the I9s and got quoted $425 for a lefty front with an 819 rim. It was more than I wanted to spend. I may have to reconsider and save some more.

mtbr member
    Anyone on the Lefty STs? I'm planning getting them on my Prophet, and wonder how much stiffer they are compared to the 2006 SLs for Lefty. They weight the same, so it's not for the weight, but if they are really stronger and stiffer than the SLs to the point of noticing it and worth the change. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Black RONIN
    Anyone on the Lefty STs? I'm planning getting them on my Prophet, and wonder how much stiffer they are compared to the 2006 SLs for Lefty. They weight the same, so it's not for the weight, but if they are really stronger and stiffer than the SLs to the point of noticing it and worth the change. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    Is the ST the new version of the old XL?
    CDT

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have them on my Prophet and really like them. I replaced my 819's and there is a noticible difference. They just seem livelier- it's hard to explain.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vitaccop
    I have them on my Prophet and really like them. I replaced my 819's and there is a noticible difference. They just seem livelier- it's hard to explain.
    Thats because they are stiffer and lighter. I'm not given up my 819/Chris King rear wheel anytime soon though. It may be a little heavier, but I beat the piss out of it and it wants more. I also love the 72 pt engagement on the tech climbs and tight switchbacks.