Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Mavic crossmax SLR wheels

I was considering some SLR' for my Cannondale Rush with Lefty. I currently run 717's on hope hubs with tubes. I was going to go for it with the slr's and ust tyres. But someone from the Wheels forum said that the hubs have very slow pickup. Is any one running SLR's on a Lefty and have any comments on how they perform. I would expect fantastic performance from wheels costing this much. I know the top end Cannondales run SLR's.
    Thanks

LA CHÈVRE
    They're not that bad, there are a lot of King hubs snobs in the wheel forums. True, the King hubs are faster and are great hubs but the Mavic is fast enough IMO. The only thing to consider with Mavic wheels is the freehub needs regular relubes. It's very easy to do, takes less than 5 minutes once you know how to do it but it's not a hub you put on the bike and forget. Great wheels with a nice feel. And Mavic UST rims work the best for tubeless if you ask me.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mad aussie
    A lot depends on the kind of riding you do. If you ride a lot of technical terrain that requires you to stop and then accelerate to lift the front end up onto obstacles then the slight delay in pick up on the Mavic wheels may be an issue.
    An alternative for similar money is the Industry Nine wheelset, they have a superfast pickup.
    I have had great luck with UST tires on my DT 4.2d with DT's tubeless rimstrips.

Kevin

mtbr member
    May 2007
    [SIZE=2]Are you guys talking about engagement points as pickup? [/SIZE]
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mad aussie
    Yes, from memory (shaky cause I'm old!) I believe the I9 has about 3 degrees of rotation max before pawl engagement, the Mavic is around 15 degrees due its two pawl system. I believe the CK is about 6 degrees. (anybody correct me if I am wrong on this one)
    I run a DT240 rear that is around 12, but it doesnt matter much to me as I am primarily an endurance rider/racer, if I rode a lot of technical stuff through rock gardens I would probably consider a I9 rear hub.
    The SLR is a great wheelset, remember that its aim is for racing and the rims are narrow so max 2.1 tire size if that matters to you.
    If they suit your riding and you like them go for it, but there are lots of options out there.

Kevin

mtbr member
    May 2007
    You should check the Spinergy Xyclone wheelset before deciding. They never get untrue, weight 1550 grs and cost half of the SLR's. I've been using them with Stan's yellow Rim Tape (7grs each wheel) and UST tires for 3 months now and working 100%.

mtbr member

Mavic SLR Maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    They're not that bad, there are a lot of King hubs snobs in the wheel forums. True, the King hubs are faster and are great hubs but the Mavic is fast enough IMO. The only thing to consider with Mavic wheels is the freehub needs regular relubes. It's very easy to do, takes less than 5 minutes once you know how to do it but it's not a hub you put on the bike and forget. Great wheels with a nice feel. And Mavic UST rims work the best for tubeless if you ask me.

Does anyone know if there is a DIY/how to maintenance for the Mavic SLR hubs around?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I love my Mavics. I have the SL and they are very fast with great acceleration.
    I had the LBS lube the front bearing which is sealed on the open side of the lefty. Cost me 5 bucks.

I ride primarily technical terrain and XC racing. I never noticed any delay in acceleration, I just know that they are faster , stronger lighter, and much better than the mavic 517's with XT hubs I had on my previous lighter bike. plus they are cool looking!

I believe there is a DIY on the Mavic website. You also get instructions on how to lube in the box when you make the purchase.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Where are Spinergy Xyclones available and what type of price range for the lefty setup? I have been thinking of them for my Prophet- any input?
    Thanks
    Brian

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm driving now for two months with the SLR's on my Caffeine 4SL. The wheels are light and stiff (I'm saving 500gr. in weight on my previous set wheels). The past week I've been riding in the Ardennes (Belgium) on a track with rocks, long fast descents and climbings (less fast ). The wheels have proven there quality over there... and they are good looking also.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Reassured

Thanks for the responses, I going to take the plunge and get the SLR's.
    I'll be mostly using them for racing with no big drops.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BLRacing67
    Where are Spinergy Xyclones available and what type of price range for the lefty setup? I have been thinking of them for my Prophet- any input?
    Thanks
    Brian
    You can usually get them new for U$550 shipped on eBay. One issue to keep in mind is that they don't come with the lefty hub's bolt and cap that you must buy on eBay or with your LBS (U$15.00).
    Attached Images Attached Images

mnt bike laws of physics

please clarify

Quote Originally Posted by schuster_md
    You should check the Spinergy Xyclone wheelset before deciding. They never get untrue, weight 1550 grs and cost half of the SLR's. I've been using them with Stan's yellow Rim Tape (7grs each wheel) and UST tires for 3 months now and working 100%.
    You are using the rim tape only, and not the rim strips?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    In Europe the Spinergy Xyclone has got approximately the same price as the SLR's.
    The Spinergy's are also heavier than the SLR's, SLR: 1.550gr., Spinergy: 1.695gr.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    You are using the rim tape only, and not the rim strips?
    Yeap. Although the rim is 23mm wide I'm using the 21mm yellow tape that Stan sells for ZTR Olympic, ZTR 355, ZTR 355 29er rims. I was a little bit reluctant at the beginning but the guys at my LBS have been working with it for a while in different rims with no probs and I’m in my 3rd month now without a leak.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tommieboy
    In Europe the Spinergy Xyclone has got approximately the same price as the SLR's.
    The Spinergy's are also heavier than the SLR's, SLR: 1.550gr., Spinergy: 1.695gr.
    We weighed my actual wheelset at my Cdale local workshop on a digital scale with the lefty bolt and cap and it was 1580 grs without the rim tape. We also compared it with the SLR and they averaged 1560grs compared to the 1510 grs that they claim

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    We weighed my actual wheelset at my Cdale local workshop on a digital scale with the lefty bolt and cap and it was 1580 grs without the rim tape. We also compared it with the SLR and they averaged 1560grs compared to the 1510 grs that they claim
    So, the SLR's are still lighter for approximately the same price.
    Strange, that Spinergy is lying about the weight in the negative way of the Xyclones. Normally a manufacturer is lying in the positive way, look at Mavic about the SLR's.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    spinergy aren´t necessarily lying. the weight you se is on the one with skewers, the lefty hub is usely alittle bit lighter

Cannondale Snob
    If you know someone in the industry, you can actually get the SLRs for around $600 as well. But you didn't hear that from me...
    '06 Cannondale Rush 1000 4" travel 27lbs
    '04 Cannondale F600 SOBE -STOLEN!
    '96 Cannondale Uber-V 6" travel 30lbs

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RiskEverything
    If you know someone in the industry, you can actually get the SLRs for around $600 as well. But you didn't hear that from me...
    That's very cheap!
    I've bought them from an online shop. € 619.95 ( $886 ) that was the cheapest price I've could find on the net for Western-Europe.

http://www.futurumshop.nl/ice.cgi?te...&element=51315

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Sometimes I put the SLR's on my ebay watch list. A couple times they have ended below $550....

mnt bike laws of physics
    Yeap. Although the rim is 23mm wide I'm using the 21mm yellow tape that Stan sells for ZTR Olympic, ZTR 355, ZTR 355 29er rims. I was a little bit reluctant at the beginning but the guys at my LBS have been working with it for a while in different rims with no probs and I’m in my 3rd month now without a leak.
    WOW! I would never have though you could seal the spoke holes with just tape. Can you do this with other rims as well? I suppose the latex does not interfere with the adhesive on the tape.
    How do you install the valve with this setup?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    WOW! I would never have though you could seal the spoke holes with just tape. Can you do this with other rims as well? I suppose the latex does not interfere with the adhesive on the tape.
    How do you install the valve with this setup?
    I'm not sure if you can use it in any rim, but the first time I saw this setup was on a DT 4.2 Disc rim. What I can tell you is that this is not the same universal spoke tape that comes with the Tubeless kit, this is a new one that Stan sells for his NoTubes rims that is 21mm wide and intended to be used without rim strips (there is a wider tape with 25mm for AM/DH rims). The valve setup is very easy; after you fit the tape you cut it at the valve hole with a sharp knife and then install the valve. I'm using the new Mavics Presta valves that have a replaceable core with no problems but you could also use the NoTubes Valves.
    Last edited by schuster_md; 10-22-2007 at 07:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have been using Stan's yellow tape for over a year now with no problems. I have also experimented with nylon reinforced strapping tape which is quite a bit cheaper than the yellow tape and is available anywhere.

I have had no problems with the strapping tape. I apply it the same as the yellow tape. I am currently running it on Stan's Olympic's, DT 4.1 and DT 4.2 rims. Over 2000 miles on these three wheel sets this year with no tape failures.

I use a modified Bontrager valve stem on the DT rims and a Stans valve stem on the Olympics.

Enjoy, Mike

italian globetrotter
    Aug 2006

Smile slr lefty review

well i was in doubt before buying a pair of lefty-slr,
    in every 3D in italy and USA somebody was complaining about noises and rolling resistance.

well i decided to buy them and I am pretty happy with it, they are light and accellerate the bike very fast(compared to my old 819x32spokes + lefty competition hub +Xt rear hub)

the annoying noise "sqeek" appeared in the first 10 km and finished after the last downhill the same day. Some days ago, after few months i opened the hub bolt(the one you need the green park tool) and some black plastic bits come out , probably the usless sealing dangerous was talking about in other 3D, crushed to pieces!!

well, as spotted in BIke german magazine, what i feel is that the front wheel is very laterally flexy, (try to do with your hands) and this is trange as the wheeel are very stiff radially...

that's mean very tiring ride but not as precise as i expected in carves....

in any case, are a good upgrade and I suggest it if you cannot have a custom made montage near your place...custom wheel , when good done can outperform it , but not in the aestetics!!

ciao

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast