mtbr member

New question here. Is the Mavic Crossmax SLR up to the Prophet?

It seems Cannondale of Brasil is trying to blow my chances of ever get my Prophet 2. I had the update from my shop that they will receive Prophets 1 and 3, but no 2 this time. Nice.

Since I don't want to lower the spec I already have on my bike, I'm thinking about getting the Prophet 1 and spec it full XTR. But one thing concerns me: aren't the SLRs too racy for the Prophet? Will they handle the hard riding the Prophet is intended, such as stunt jumps, rough-rocky terrain and nasty descent singletracks? They don't seem to follow the bike toughness... at least in their concept. Wouldn't be better if there ever was a Crossmax ST Lefty for the Prophet instead of the SLR? For the Carbon Rush it may make sense, but for a Prophet?

Last year the top Prophet spec'ed a SL set, but it is a tough wheel. So far, I've seen many Prophets in the forum sporting them, including Dan's. But bo SLR so far. Is the SLR up to it? Or should I consider building a stronger set? Anyway, why would CD spec these wheels on this bike if they weren't any good for it?

LA CHÈVRE
    Depends how you ride. The SLRs are tough for their weight, they can handle rocky rough terrain fine. Jumps and drops though, don't go too high or be extra smooth on landings. So depending how you plan to ride the beast, maybe another wheelset would be better.

Also worth noting is that the SLR rims are narrow, 17mm internal width I think. Some people say there is a 2.1" tire limit but they can handle bigger tires. Too big tires though, could have a weird profile mounted on them... I'm not sure I'd go over 2.3/2.35...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    I'm not sure I'd go over 2.3/2.35...
    Agreed on all counts, but I am currently running a 2.5 without incident, but I'm one of those sort of guys that likes to push the limits.....and then get mad when I go over the edge
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

italian globetrotter
    Aug 2006

slr question

[QUOTE=I am currently running a 2.5 without incident,[/QUOTE]

then do you think slr as good wheels? in italy there is a big discussion about....
    some claim hi friction in bearings and seals (which fade with time)
    in any case are very common on racecourses..

comments welcomed