Ridin' dirty!

New question here. Mavic Crosslands or 819????

I'm looking for a new wheel set that is stronger and hopefully more light than my existing Mavic Crosslands.
    I have 3 options:
    -Black and White Spynergy Xyclones for around $600.- (Gotta save some more money for those)
    -Keeping my existing Crosslands (Duh!)
    -Or buy some cannondale wheels with wind or fire rear hub laced into Mavic 819 rims.
    Any ideas?
    Pros and Cons for the pretty much stock 819 lefty wheels? Since they have 32 spokes I can imagine that they're heavier than my CL's
    Are they better than the Crosslands?
    I'm looking at eBay and they go for around $350.- to $400.-
    Are the Spinergy any good? Stiff? Strong?
    Any help is highly appreciated.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

LA CHÈVRE
    I haven't spent a whole lot of time on the Spinergys but I felt they were very flexy...

The XM819 rims are good, durable, stiff, not light though. If you go that route, STAY AWAY FROM THE 2005 WIND AND FIRE REAR HUBS! These are about the crappiest rear hubs you could find. Older models were made by DT Swiss and were good but the 2005 were made by Formula and they wont last... They are heavy too. If you get XM819, make sure the rear wheel is laced to something else, just about anything else is a better than those rear hubs. The front Cannondale hubs are good, light and durable though. But on ebay, for 350/400$ it's too much unless you have a much better rear hub. If you can them much cheaper, ride them until the rear hub dies and then have the rear rim laced to a decent hub and you'll be set.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    yup, second that one. i quite like the 819s, but busted my 05 fire hub the second time out. hopefully my newest spare wheel, 819s on wind titanium, 06 i believe will last a little longer. or, it's not like i'm gonna use it.

if i were you i would save up for a crossmax st front and sx (or xl) rear wheel. i happen to like mavic and would do it that way. note two things though. changing the rear wheel makes for the biggest change and should be prioritized and you could prob custom build wheels that are as good as or better than the mavics for the price. but, i'll stick to mavics for now ;-) if you're thinking about xt hubs, make the swap to centerlock as it saves a lot of weight over the 6 bolt hubs (or used to with the old xt anyway).

mtbr member
    I've also heard the flexy description about Spinergy's .
    After all , the spokes are made of some sort of nylon fibre .
    What bike are these for ??
    If it is a Rush , try to get a set of Mavic 717's .
    They are Mavic's lightest , strongest cross country rim .
    The are a bit narrower then 819's as well .
    I got a new set with Xt hubs for under $300 and I have seen
    more of these out there in that price range .
    The ones I got were for a regular fork but I had another Lefty
    hub that I had laced into it .
    It still came out cheaper then my LBS .

mtbr member

Go Crossmax ST

Mavic just released the Crossmax ST Disc for Lefty for 2008. That should beat hands down any other wheelset you may find or assemble for your Prophet. Those are stiff, rock-hard bullet-proof, lightweight wheels. And they go for pro. Can't ask much more of it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I got 12,000 miles out of my rear 819 rim before a crack developed near the valve stem hole. Always stayed true.

I have an 819 with a Cannondale Omega hub in the front. Never given me any problems at all. Have about 15,000 miles on it. I have no idea who makes the hub.

I usually run tubes in the 819's and only run tubeless tires during races.

LA CHÈVRE
    The Lefty hubs are Cannondale made... 12,000 miles? Not bad, especially when I think how long rims lasted before I went to disc brakes...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    I haven't spent a whole lot of time on the Spinergys but I felt they were very flexy...

The XM819 rims are good, durable, stiff, not light though. If you go that route, STAY AWAY FROM THE 2005 WIND AND FIRE REAR HUBS! These are about the crappiest rear hubs you could find. Older models were made by DT Swiss and were good but the 2005 were made by Formula and they wont last... They are heavy too. If you get XM819, make sure the rear wheel is laced to something else, just about anything else is a better than those rear hubs. The front Cannondale hubs are good, light and durable though. But on ebay, for 350/400$ it's too much unless you have a much better rear hub. If you can them much cheaper, ride them until the rear hub dies and then have the rear rim laced to a decent hub and you'll be
    set.
    Thanks Dan.
    One more question though.... What is it that is breaking on the Fire & Wind Hubs? Axle, Freewheel?
    A lot of riders complain about the Mavic Freewheels not lasting long either, but I never had any issues with my previous mavic CrossRide wheels, and so far the Crosslands are holding up pretty well. They're heavier than my Cross ride wheels though.
    That's why i'm looking for something lighter...

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by Black RONIN
    Mavic just released the Crossmax ST Disc for Lefty for 2008. That should beat hands down any other wheelset you may find or assemble for your Prophet. Those are stiff, rock-hard bullet-proof, lightweight wheels. And they go for pro. Can't ask much more of it.
    I guess that they're well above my budget though...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I will repeat: stay away from the Fire rear hub!!! Mine was shot in about 6 months. I rebuilt my rear 819 with an XT hub and have had no problems.

I have thought about this for my own bike and I am staying with my 819s until I can afford a set of CrossMax wheels.

My opinion: I don't think there are any other rims that are worth trading the weight for the durability of the 819s.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'd get DT Swiss 5.1 rims instead of the 819 as they're wider, weigth the same and durability should be equal. And they can be converted to tubeless if you need/want tubeless tires.

Ridin' dirty!
    Thanks for all the input guys (n'gals).
    How much do 'yall think is the following wheelset worth:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Mavic-XM819-Ring...QQcmdZViewItem
    Comments, suggestions?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    24 spoke wheels may need some extra maintenace vs std 32. If you are above 175 I would steer clear unless you are going to use them as race only wheels
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Ground Pounder

Spinergy Xyclone Disc - Light/Strong/Midrange $$

I'm very pleased with mine. They're the perfect compromise of durability, weight and price. I'm 215-220 with gear and they hold up to some nasty trails in Northern California. Picked them up for around $500ish on ebay around 6 months ago and I've been happy with them since with a few exceptions (below). If you don't want to go tubeless they're a great bet.

I'm not convinced the Quality Control is up to snuff, as I had to re-tension a good deal of the spokes, but after that I had no problems. The process of re-tensioning and truing is a pain because you have to take the tire and rim strip off. You'll also need a tension meter from Park. That said I've done it once and I don't take it easy on the wheels. They've been true ever since.

The 'flexy' reports are all from people who know someone who knows someone, or who have been on them for 5 minutes in a parking lot scenario. Look for a credible review. The spokes are kevlar, but the tension on them is significant.

If I had money to burn or needed tubeless* I'd go with the new Mavic wheels (probably the STs), but like I said these are a great compromise.

*I run 33ish psi in my 2.25 Mibro and have never had a pinch flat. Rock Gardens, logs, 2ft jumps. Did I mention I'm not light? Maybe I could go lower with tubeless, but to me it's a solution in search of a problem.
    My bicycle gets more dirt than your 4x4.