mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Marzocchi Roco on a prophet?

Hi,

I want to get a shock with adjustable bottom out for my prophet, to counter the regressive rate of the rear. I'm having bottom out problems when running more than 25% sag on the rear with my Fox Float..

Prophet rear shock size is 7.875x2 / 200x50mm.Now, Marz does only seem to do the Rocos in 7.875x2.25 / 200x57. Despite that the 4X team replica of 2005 came with a Roco.

And I have seen this :
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3363277/

Does it work or do the tire hit the seat tube? Anyone ride Rocos on their prophets? Help appreciated.
    Swedish trail/AM/Enduro/DH-rider - Currently rides Spitfire V2 & Devinci Wilson SL. Spending the summer 2013 in Whistler, BC.

mtbr member
    I believe that the extra stroke is not too big of a problem, but I think that the tire can rub the back of the seat tube when in the FR position. I thought about getting that shock, but it has a high volume air can, which is not that big of a problem either as long as the bottom out is cranked up. You could also ad shims inside the HV air can part to make the shock not as linear.

altazo
    A 7.875 x 2.25 shock will only hit the seat tube in the slack head angle position, but it will increase travel to about 160mm.

I could be wrong, but wasn't the '05 Replica spec'd with a Rocco Coil shock? In that case, the longer stroke is not an issue because most coil shocks won't physically fit in the slack HT position on the rear triangle anyways...

mtbr member
    I think that the '05's shock had the correct stroke. It may have been custom for Cdale.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    After some more research it seems that the coil roco was made in 200x50 for that model year, so the coil roco equipped 4X had the correct stroke.

I want to ride in the slack FR position all the time.. I read other owners of marz air cans saying that they only got about 54 out of the 57mm of stroke out of the shock. In which case it would not be a problem.

I guess I can crank up the bottom out to max to avoid bottoming out on the seat tube!?
    Swedish trail/AM/Enduro/DH-rider - Currently rides Spitfire V2 & Devinci Wilson SL. Spending the summer 2013 in Whistler, BC.