mtbr member

Mark Weir on Cannondale!

Yep. Word has it he loves the bike.

mtb'er
    That's the word. And the rest of his WTB homies. Interesting...

mtbr member
    link?

I give it a year tops....I predict personality conflicts.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

swag ho Administrator

I do what I want
    crazy move!!!! Im completely WOWed by this news, be interesting to see how the king of coil suspension deals with an air shock only bike. Bold move and great rider for Cannondale to have pulled.
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

I'm with stupid
    Wow this is crazy. Hope good things come from this move.

I do what I want
    more info...

After months of talk, Mark Weir and his fellow teammates, Jason Moeschler and Ben Cruz, will be riding for Cannondale.
    The trio will be racing and product testing the new Jekyll and Claymore bike for 2011.

Although we've been talking to Mark Weir for several weeks about how much he's loving his new Jekyll, we couldn't announce it until it was official.

Weir notes that he never thought he'd like an air shock but has been impressed with the DYAD RT2 dual shock, specifically it's ability to take a hit and remain stable at speed. "I've already broken all my downhill records at the ranch," he told us. Weir, Moeschler and Cruz spend a lot of time riding at a private ranch on trails they built for testing and training. All three riders have been on the Jekyll Ultimate (see stock photo below from Cannondale's website) and have been nothing less than impressed, which is a good thing because we are finally getting our Jekyll test steed today.

Right now, Weir is just finishing up the Urge Cabo Verde event on his new bike. He's been sending text messages about how gnarly it was riding down the face of the main mountain of Santo Antao Island. Stay tuned for more about Weir and Cannondale and the Urge Cabo Verde event.
    Guy.Ford

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Looks like he's modded his Jekyll Ultimate. In the pick the fork looks like a 36 Talas, he's got a chain guide on and he's dumped the Crank Bros wheels and reverb seat post. Interesting since it seems to indicate he's beating on the DYAD and fame which bodes well for carbon Jekyll owners who maybe want to go a little bigger than typical AM...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Weir is sponsored by Shimano (XTR Trail components, no Reverb), Fox (36 TALAS, and the pull shock), and WTB (Stryker Wheels, Saddle, etc...)

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    Here's a shot of him ripping down the volcano at the Urge Cabo Verde event.

Last edited by bad ronald; 02-11-2011 at 10:47 AM.

No e-drama please!!
    Cool.
    I just built up a new Prophit with 2.4" Weirwolf tires & my friend is building up a Gemini.Must be the year for Cannondale!
    I'll take some photo's later..
    DEMO8
    Santa Cruz Bullit
    Bianchi SASS

I do what I want
    Quote Originally Posted by dkestar
    Looks like he's modded his Jekyll Ultimate. In the pick the fork looks like a 36 Talas, he's got a chain guide on and he's dumped the Crank Bros wheels and reverb seat post. Interesting since it seems to indicate he's beating on the DYAD and fame which bodes well for carbon Jekyll owners who maybe want to go a little bigger than typical AM...

typical weir, he doesnt do front gear systems opting for single ring only and MRP chainguides on all his bike, he was the pioneer of the 1x9 movement (first big name to get notority for running 1x? system). Also he is sponsored by Gravity Dropper so he will likely be running one of their adjustable posts, along with the other changes that wangamachang had mentioned earlier.

This is def big new for Cannondale as Weir is a phenom and did great things for Santa Cruz bikes showing the versatility they had by dominating the Downieville Classic year after year as well as some other well named Super D comps. Cannondale, IMO, couldnt pick a better rider to showcase what their Over Mountain range can do and to respresent the All Mountain community as a whole. Bold move for both Weir and Cannondale.

Edit: apparently hes dropped Gravity Dropper for the Fox Adjust post....pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mark Weir on Cannondale!-s1600_weir_cdale.jpg  

Last edited by Guy.Ford; 02-11-2011 at 10:05 AM.
    Guy.Ford

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Kinda funny that Cannondale's kit is Royal...... Steve Peat's company........

mtbr member
    Looks like he's using the Fox seatpost.

EDIT: Duh. I obviously need to read the whole thread...
    Last edited by Duncan1104; 02-12-2011 at 08:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I doubt it has much to do with superior equipment. It's all about the paycheck. Cannondale was the highest bidder in this instance.

Don't get me wrong, I love my C'dale, WTB is my tire of choice and Weir rips, but he'd ride a Schwinn if they paid him to.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

:-( oh nooooo!!!!!

Wow....this is really bad news for all of you homos that just bought carbon nomads. Now you're going to have to sell them and buy what Weir rides!!
    Last edited by gunnrunner; 02-15-2011 at 05:30 PM.

Now broadcasting from CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc D
    Don't get me wrong, I love my C'dale, WTB is my tire of choice and Weir rips, but he'd ride a Schwinn if they paid him to.
    And he'd still rip...
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnrunner
    Wow....this is really bad news for all of you homos that just bought carbon nomads. Now you're going to have to sell them and buy what Weir rides!!
    Ha ha totally true. My buddy is a Santa Cruz ho. He has like 4 Santa Cruz bikes. And mostly because Weir is his mtb idol.

I'm timing from now until he buys a Jekyll...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Sorry...that was a little harsh. Who am I fooling...I love Santa Cruz and am a big Weir fan (I ride a Turner however.) Anybody know why he left, or was just the need to put steaks on the table? Nothing wrong with that.

here to make friends
    That bike looks so badass...I have always hated cannondales but he makes it look rideable

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    http://www.spokemagazine.com/2011/02...day-mark-weir/

"Whatís the skinny behind your recent move from long time sponsor Santa Cruz to Cannondale, why the move after all these years?
    Well that was just one of those things. It seemed we kind of grew apart and headed in different directions. Iím still close with all those guys they are great people and love riding bikes but it seemed I was not in the five year plan. I have always been working towards being more involved in trail access and getting more kids on bikes. Donít get me wrong, racing bikes is something I will do till I am consistently considered pack-fill (maybe not far off).

In Marin were I live, we have spent the good part of that last few years working on getting places to ride for kids of all ages. My pump track really showed me the light. Just from a bunch of dirt made in to flow we built a community of mothers, fathers and kids that all have the same goal. Working with Cannondale gives team WTB a stronger motor and one of the top dealers in Mikes Bikes who is also behind the movement. With all of us working to make a difference for the next generation. I hope by the time my son Gus is riding he will have a place to do it safely without being a threat to the community. He is almost two now and he is already a threat to the walls in my house when he rides his striderÖ."