A little of everything

Making a Lefty Ultra PBR work on a Flash

I can get a good deal on a Lefty Ultra PBR. I have a few questions in relation to using this on my Flash frame as an alternative to a Lefty Speed PBR.

Does this fork have the same A-C measurement as a Lefty Speed PBR?

Are there any difference in suspension feel, damping and lockout between the two?

Do I need to reduce the travel and will it make a difference to how it rides?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Flash manual says that max fork length is 500mm, Ultra is for sure more... so, the answer is no.

A little of everything
    The Ultra is 490mm, så I guess that's not an issue then.

A little of everything
    I just bought a 2010 Flash frame and put on the parts from my 2009 Scalpel including a Lefty Terralogic (A-C 480mm), which I'm about to sell. So I'm looking for a new fork.

Originally this Flash came with the Speed Carbon DLR (A-C 485mm). Looking at the specifications for the new Speed PBR/XLR the A-C is only 470mm on these. I feel the bike is already very sensitive in the steering and putting a new Speed PBR or XLR on it would make it even "worse".

That's where my idea for the Utra with an A-C of 490mm came into the picture. I guess it could be tuned with a small spacer at the upper air seal if I find it too tall, a spacer to reduce the travel if at all needed and some volume reducers if it's too linear for the Flash.

I know it may seem like a lot of hassle, but I guess there is no other way to get a PBR or XLR with an A-C of 480-490mm.

Lefty Experts, does this give sense or am I missing some important facts?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Anders View Post
    The Ultra is 490mm, så I guess that's not an issue then.
    note that I wrote "max fork length is 500mm", A-C is another.

A little of everything
    In theory you are right as Cannondale specify fork length as the A-C length plus the height of the lower headset cup. But in my case as the Flash doesn't have one they are equal.

Reference: http://cdn.cannondale.com/Manuals/20...echnote_en.pdf

Not dead yet, just playin
    FWIW, I think the A-C of the Speed DLR is closer to 480mm.. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the extra 10mm A-C. You might like the way it slows the steering down a little.

Though I haven't done it yet, I also plan to add a 10mm spacer to the upper air seal to use a 120/140 PBR damper (Red) in a 110mm DLR.
    www.msmtb.org - Mississippi Mountain Biking