mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Lube scalpel frog linkage?

I recently purchased a new 2009 scalpel frame I'm beginning the process of swapping parts from my Caffeine frame.

I was initially cursed by a broken shock bolt; from perusing the archives this bolt has been problematic for some. Mine broke spontaneously; seriously. Cdale sent out a new bolt which has a less shiny appearance and hopefully more robust.

While reading about the bolt breakage, some posters recommended lubing the frog linkage. My question is since I'm starting a new build should I lube the frog linkage? It doesn't appear it was lubed from the factory but I'm not positive since I haven't disassembled the linkage.

I figure it can't hurt but I won't bother if it's completely unnecessary.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    It's a good idea to grease any suspension assembly components, contact points, pivots, etc (unless threadlocker is called for) It helps assembly, smooths movement, keeps contamination out, reduces squeaks, allows for easier disassembly. Just make sure to wipe off any excess.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    grease or not grease ...

check the manual where grease is needed
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I posted a month or so back about a broken bolt on my 2009 Scalpel. First real ride off road and the bolt for the shock snapped on the nut side at the threads. Cannondale did the same thing for me, sent another bolt that isn't nearly as shiny. I thought out of the box that the torque for the bolts would be spot on, it wasn't. The remaining bolt on the shock was way off. 13nm is a lot of force to apply to that bolt, and I assume it's to keep it snug and keep it from bouncing off the weaker part on the threads. I did some research and some people were saying Cannondale specifically recommends NOT lubing the bolt, so I didn't. I have 25 hours or so on it now, and it's doing fine.
    Torque it correctly and I think you'll have no problem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Torqued the the new bolts to 12 NM, disassembled and lightly lubed the linkage. No evidence of lube from the factory. The manual simply states to "re-grease" the link assembly every 50 hrs. (dry conditions).

Hopefully the new bolts hold up; can't wait to start riding my first fs ride!