mtbr member

low end prophet - impressions after first year

I live in London for few years now, and when it comes to offroad cycling I'm the "sunday rider" at best, so prophet 400 '06 seemed to be not bad choice for me. Withing last 12 months my bike seen not much action - It went twice for holidays in Spannish Alpujarras, one long weekend in Peak District and few one day rides. Probably less than 150h of ride in total. Cannondale sells is as "enduro" bike, and I've done nothong more with it.

Here are the conclusions: I love the frame, mixed feelings for the components:

sram X.7 shifters and rear mech: didn't need to touch it or think about it, which is good :-)

truvativ isoflow cransket: the "weakest link" of the drivetrain, managed to bent big and middle chainrings without hitting any rocks whatsoever. Noises in BB after 6 months. first thing to be replaced (with shimano hone I think)

manitou radium shock: managed to kill it within first month (only one week of serious riding during it), replacement unit recently started to leak oil.

marzocchi am3 fork: not reallly worked on factory setttings, spent great amount of time trying to find right air pressure and oil level combination. Now it works reasonably well: still not very plush and doesn't fell as marzocchi fork at all. Will be replaced with something better in near future.

wheelset: sun black eye rims in 5.5 inch travel bike? I call it "mistake", 2.2 and wider tires effect "floating". I've tried to ride nobby nics 2.4 and it caused me thinking about new wheels and wider rims (single track / ex325).

magura julie brakes: I've managed to smash front lever in first month, except that they are OK - powerful enough, people complain for lack of modulation but they work just fine for me.

Conclusion: Sometimes I regret I did'n mailordered lefty equipped prophet 600 '05 instead...

Last edited by devix; 08-14-2007 at 03:58 PM. Reason: typo in subject

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by devix
    Conclusion: Sometimes I regret I did'n mailordered lefty equipped prophet 600 '05 instead...
    And now you're going to regret it more cause Cannondale pulled the plug for the Lefty MAX in '08.

mtbr member
    I wonder if C-dale actually really intends riders to actually keep the low-end components for any length of time on the bike. I bought the low-end (2007 6 Model) so that I could replace the components myself rather than have C-dale choose for me. I'm left now with a sweet ride; customized to what I want (almost no stock parts). In hindsight, and seeing what other manufacturers tend to do, I think C-dale should either sell these frames individually, or spec out a few with excellent components; not make so many configurations available. I think this is what they're doing for 2008 though? Anyways, just my thoughts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jiar577
    And now you're going to regret it more cause Cannondale pulled the plug for the Lefty MAX in '08.
    What may be the reason? Maybe its just not as great as they say? ;-)

mtbr member

Good job!

I love the colour, I'd never seen another orange one. I looked long and hard to find one. Mine died, a crack where the shock mount is welded to the frame. Cannondale replaced it under warranty on the strength of photos taken by my LBS. I've now gort a Cut replica. My riding sounds of similar frequency to yours, a trip to France, the odd trip to wales and irregular outings to Chicksands

My two pence worth..........

truvativ isoflow cransket: the "weakest link" of the drivetrain, managed to bent big and middle chainrings without hitting any rocks whatsoever. Noises in BB after 6 months. first thing to be replaced (with shimano hone I think)
    Mine was creaking after no time at all. It went when the kit got swapped on to the replacement frame. The Hone is a good bet, looks good and stiff as.

manitou radium shock: managed to kill it within first month (only one week of serious riding during it), replacement unit recently started to leak oil.
    It's not too bad but I suspect that after the brakes it'll be the next to go. Rocco coil as recommended by Dirt mag.

marzocchi am3 fork: not reallly worked on factory setttings, spent great amount of time trying to find right air pressure and oil level combination. Now it works reasonably well: still not very plush and doesn't fell as marzocchi fork at all. Will be replaced with something better in near future.
    I managed to get Cannondale to swap this for a 2006 Marzocchi All Mountain SL as it wasn't the fork advertised in their brochure or on the web. (Advertised was an All Mountain 3 150mm from memory rather than a 130mm AM3). The SL is great although if I were upgrading after I'd done the wheels or had the cash at the time I got the new fork I would have gone for something with a 20mm axle.

wheelset: sun black eye rims in 5.5 inch travel bike? I call it "mistake", 2.2 and wider tires effect "floating". I've tried to ride nobby nics 2.4 and it caused me thinking about new wheels and wider rims (single track / ex325).
    Have a look at the Hope Hoops - Pro II hubs with DT swiss 5.1 rims. They are perfect for these bikes strong, reasonably light and well priced (220ish). Tire wise the stock tires are much better on wider rims but I'm considering something a bit tougher.

magura julie brakes: I've managed to smash front lever in first month, except that they are OK - powerful enough, people complain for lack of modulation but they work just fine for me.
    Until my recent trip to the Pyrenees, I didn't really have any problems with these, they seemd to be good bang for the buck. The fade was getting alarming towards the end of the day! They are now next on the list to go, probably for a set of Hopes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Orange Prophet

I managed to get Cannondale to swap this for a 2006 Marzocchi All Mountain SL as it wasn't the fork advertised in their brochure or on the web. (Advertised was an All Mountain 3 150mm from memory rather than a 130mm AM3). The SL is great although if I were upgrading after I'd done the wheels or had the cash at the time I got the new fork I would have gone for something with a 20mm axle.
    Inspired by your reply I've visited my LBS and started email dispute with cannondale, and guess what: They claim now AM3 and All Mountain III is the same fork...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    well all mountain 3 and am3 is def!!! not the same fork. The am's are way cheaper versions. Anyway, from the prices on cannondale's offerings it seems like selling frames for cheap isn't an option. As it is now you could buy the least expensive, sell all the bits and still get it ( a lot) cheaper than just getting the frame, which at least over here is way overpriced. One can get a caffeine prob cheaper now due to the end of season sales as a bike than as frame, go figure.

In terms of shocks i would rather get a air one if i were you and the excellent manitou evolver isx6 speings to mind (sorry, i'll stop recommending this shock soon.. i jusy really like it).

And about the lefty, there are multiple posts on the subject and as the more optimistic of us thought there's a lefty revival in the making. Makes sense as mavic introduced the crossmax st lefty for 08. oh happy day. And yes, you can prob get one used rather cheap, send it mendon for a pro tune up and have him ship it to you. I really like the lefty, but mine need some maintenance pretty bad. i'm waiting for the local store to get their act together and get the tools needed for the job. I don't think i have the skills for a total rebuild, or picking it apart, cleaning, lubing and reassembling it. I'm sure i don't have the tools as you need some special tools to do the job (right?).

mtbr member
    Inspired by your reply I've visited my LBS and started email dispute with cannondale, and guess what: They claim now AM3 and All Mountain III is the same fork...
    Who's your LBS, I see from your earlier post you're in the UK. I may be able to give you some help. PM me.

mtbr member
    The 2006 AM3 - which is what came stock on my 2007 Prophet 6 - only has 130mm of travel. Pretty sucky that on a 2007 model bike they use a 2006 shock with less travel than what's listed on the spec sheet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin G
    The 2006 AM3 - which is what came stock on my 2007 Prophet 6 - only has 130mm of travel. Pretty sucky that on a 2007 model bike they use a 2006 shock with less travel than what's listed on the spec sheet.
    that's shame indeed, I'm going to ask Trading Standards UK for advice as this seems to be violation of Trade Descriptions Act...

mtbr member
    i aksed my lbs about the am3 fork and why on the spec it said am4 or something and my bikeshope said if u read the fine print it said components and details are subject to change with out reasoning