mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Loving my new ride!

Had the new steed exactly one week and can honestly say its the most well rounded bike I've ever owned. Does everything well and the Hammerschmidt is the freakin' gravy. Test rode it on a whim and broke out the wallet with no hesitation afterwards .

Woodthrush trail/Mill Mountain

I Have Cookies
    Sweet! Ditch the platforms and get some clipless pedals on there!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say.” – Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It actually came with a fairly decent pair of clipless pedals but I told the shop to replace them asap LOL!
    I've always liked platforms since they fit in better with my laid back style of riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nice! Also seems like it needs clipless to me, especially on trails like that!... whatever you have fun on!

LA CHÈVRE
    No no no, what it needs is one less fork leg!
    Enjoy the ride Nocturnalnature!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks guys!
    I would have loved to have a Lefty but at the price it was offered I couldn't refuse. I will say the RS Revelation is a purty durn good fork though once it's set up properly.

I'm with stupid
    Nice you made a great choice. I just put a revelation on mine that had a lefty on it and the bike feels much better. I found the best improvement is a KS 950 post on there. Looks great i wish mine was a 3z frame with iscg tabs on it.

mtbr member
    There is a shop that has that exact bike in my size and the price is slashed down to $1800 from nearly $4k. I hate going into that shop and staring at it...that hammersmidt is amazing and I love the raw frame. I am a bit hesitant because of the revelvation team up front, I have read some mediocre reviews, all regarding the u-turn models having issues. I guess that is why we buy new with warranty tho...

Congrats on a sweet ride

mtbr member
    Congrats and welcome to the Hammerschmidt team!! There doesn't seem to be a lot of us around. I bought exactly the same bike a few months ago. Although I like the RS revelation fork, I got a great deal on a used Carbon Lefty Max that I couldn't say no to.

I notice that you have added some chainstay protection, but you really need to extend it closer to frame pivot point. The spot just behind the HS on the underside of the chain stay seems to get hit by the chain quite a lot on my bike.

I agree with you on the HS, it is an amazing crank. I love the instant ratio change, under full power. Really helps me on steep climbs, where I can power up in overdrive, then drop down to 1:1 as I start to slow down at the peak and pedal my way over the top.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Brit,
    Thanks for the advice on extending the chainstay protector. I'll dig into my bag of worn out tubes this evening to remedy that problem. I did put some 3m clearsheet there but I think after hearing that it takes a beating there I need to rethink that strategy.
    Believe me, if I run across a deal on a Lefty I have no qualms about changing but in all fairness the Revelation has been running pretty strong so far.

Dietz,
    That is virtually identical to the deal I got at my LBS. Unlike you, I couldn't withstand the temptations and buckled in short order LOL. I'll admit it was impulsive but I have no regrets whatsoever.
    The poor Trance X just sits gathering dust now. I think it misses me.

UPDATE - Good call Brit! Went ahead and had a look and the 3M had already gotten chewed slightly just from a weeks worth of outtings. A double wrap of innertube now lives happily there, right next to that sexy crank, and should hold up considerably better. I will be keeping an eye on it though since it would appear that is a high strike area.
    Thanks again because I surely wouldn't have checked for another month or so and it woulda' likely been too late.
    Last edited by Nocturnalnature; 07-29-2011 at 11:26 AM.

mtbr member

Before & After Lefty-fication

I've posted these pics before (I need some new ones that are taken on the trail, not in my house!!), but i thought you might like to see the before and after shots:

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    That is a sexy beast right there! The Lefty makes an already flashy bike really pop.
    Did you just re-hub the stock wheel to get it to fit?

I see you save your old tubes as well LOL! They come in handy don't they?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    NICE lefty

mtbr member
    I found a used lefty wheel on ebay for $75 inc shipping. I thought about changing the hub on the stock wheel, but the cost of wheel build plus a new set of spokes would have been more expensive.

Yep, when I swapped the fork, I went tubeless too with stans conversion of original wheel/tyre on the rear and UST with the Nobby Nic tyre and sealant on front. So, I have a couple of spare tubes for frame protection. I also added some self sealing tape (Check Lowes or HD) for extra protection where the chain slaps the stay.

This post details my total conversion cost:

Is it worth putting a lefty on an 08 F5?

mtbr member
    Lovely looking bikes. Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Nocturnalnature, a quick warning. Keep your eye on the suspension pivot bolts. In particular, the red ones on the rear shock pivot that connects to the seat tube. They tend to work loose very, very quickly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BritOnTour View Post
    Nocturnalnature, a quick warning. Keep your eye on the suspension pivot bolts. In particular, the red ones on the rear shock pivot that connects to the seat tube. They tend to work loose very, very quickly.

Thanks for the heads up. I tend to be pretty anal about checking fasteners every few rides so it'll be second nature. I've heard a few horror stories about them coming loose on the Rize/RZ models.

Man, you made out like a bandit on your conversion! Cheapest I've found so far would run me over $1000.00 used (carbon).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnalnature View Post
    Man, you made out like a bandit on your conversion! Cheapest I've found so far would run me over $1000.00 used (carbon).
    Yep, I think I did well. The carbon tube has a small ding in it, that's not a structural concern. Bought it locally from a guy that was switching to all 29ers.

And, I still have the RS fork, headset, stem & front wheel to sell to get some money back!