mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Love the Headshok

One of the best upgrades I've ever done on my bike was getting rid of the heavy 100mm Manitou shock that came on my F300 and installing a DLR 80 Headshok. I don't know if I could ever go back to a regular shock. It has turned the slow, heavy F300 in to a fast, nimble XC machine. The front end is so light that if I over-do trying to wheely I will end up on my back. I don't miss having a 100mm shock at all. I don't know why more bike manufacturers don't adopt this technology, except perhaps it is proprietary.

Is it time to ride yet?
    Jun 2009
    Congrats on the upgrade, I have the same DLR 80 on my F3 and could not be more happy with it over a traditional fork. I was amazed at how responsive the steering is over other bikes I have ridden. The light front end makes it easy to wheelie over mud puddles and lifting the front tire over roots while climbing. I know it would be hard to switch back to a triditional fork now.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE= I don't know why more bike manufacturers don't adopt this technology, except perhaps it is proprietary.[/QUOTE]

Because the headshok went out of fashion. like all good things, It will come back in style someday as it is uber reliable/simple design.....compared to 50% of forks out there................. it would be so cool if they made a 29'er with one.

Mr. Knowitall
    The reason more manufacturers do not have similar technology is that it is a high cost to develop, and volumes will not be big enough to defend the R&D that needs to be done. Cannondale started the Headshok deal when most suspension suppliers were fumbling on where to go, and Cannondale has stuck with their concept. As you can see now compared to the 1990s product lines from Cannondale, you can see that there are very few models supplied with a Headshok or Lefty these days, and only on higher end bikes. Others are supplied with off the shelf forks. This is also visible when one looks at the aftermarket prices for Cannondale forks. Not especially cheap...

When that is said, I have mounted an old Lefty on my new Yeti ASR frame, and I am going to fit a Lefty Max to my Yeti 575. This is the best concept I have seen in the low to mid travel segment of forks.

mtbr member
    Two thumbs up for the DLR 80! Th only two or four wheeled vehicle that can turn in quicker than my '09 F3 is a 911