mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Lots of questions about my (hopeful) prophet purchase

Hey, I'm scrambling to try and buy a '07 3/3z prophet before all the ugly 08s are all that is available. I'm going with the 3z because I don't want to have to deal with oddities like the lefty, and I hear the SPV+ seems too stiff for my tastes since everywhere I ride is very rooty with millions of smaller bumps. I demo'd a Prophet 1 almost a year ago, and I can't remember anything about it. I thought I needed a M but now I'm thinking Large. I'm 5'11" with a slightly smaller than usual inseam. 31" I think. On Cdale's geometry page, is the "actual top-tube" listing what others call "effective top-tube?" or is the "horizontal top tube" listing? I've felt most comfy on a mongoose canaan with a 595 mm effective top tube. Any help is appreciated.....I want this thing so bad I can taste it!

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/07/C...eoName=prophet
    http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/07/c...del-7VE3Z.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The "horizontal top tube" dimension is the same thing as "effective top tube."
    Last edited by kentgbr; 09-27-2007 at 10:01 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    oddities like a lefty????
    its the reason i have a cdale. it offers you more control,imho, than a standard shock fork and is lighter. Not all leftys are spv either.

i think you need to take the lefty out and then get the mongoose out there. you will feel much better control and direction. Also, you will be able to blow over stuff better with a lefty.
    the fork does not twist or torque like normal shock forks and keeps the line way better.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Try the lefty first

Besides better preformance , if you have a lefty , you have a bigger re-sale market down the road. And you rig will fetch more money too.

A used Lefty alone can fetch up to 400-700 bucks on ebay, try that on a used rockshock

mtbr member
    I'm part of the anti-Lefty Prophet owners.

M should be fine for you; I'm 5'10" and I love my M. But it depends on your style and preference; you really can go either way. I think slightly smaller is better as it's easier to control and flick around.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    To "fanboy" the lefty once more,
    You don't have to take off the wheel to change a flat or switch tires. I have had to do a flat change out on the trail once. It was much quicker.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg
    To "fanboy" the lefty once more,
    You don't have to take off the wheel to change a flat or switch tires. I have had to do a flat change out on the trail once. It was much quicker.
    I've never really be sure about the whole "it's easier to change a flat ot tyres" thing.

I don't have a lefty and have never ridden one - I couldn't afford a prophet witha lefty but I'm not against the idea.

When I cahnge a flat I find that I pick the wheel up and handle in much more than I could if there was abike attached to the other end. I'm pretty sure that it would take me twice the time to switch a tire, I usually flip the wheel over to get at the other side which I couldn't do witha lefty.

Maybe for a XC race pro who can spend serious training time doing it but I'm sceptical about the average rider.

I fully expect to incur the wrath of the leftyistas!

I don't have a lefty and have never ridden one - I couldn't afford a prophet witha lefty but I'm not against the idea and understand the basics of why a left should out perform other shocks..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin G
    I'm part of the anti-Lefty Prophet owners.

M should be fine for you; I'm 5'10" and I love my M. But it depends on your style and preference; you really can go either way. I think slightly smaller is better as it's easier to control and flick around.
    I'm 5'10" as well and I've had both. The M is by far the best fit for me. It'll climb and do all the serious mountain bike stuff, descends at moron speeds without feeling overly twitchy and can be flung about like a BMX.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by The Orange Prophet
    I've never really be sure about the whole "it's easier to change a flat ot tyres" thing.

I don't have a lefty and have never ridden one - I couldn't afford a prophet witha lefty but I'm not against the idea.

When I cahnge a flat I find that I pick the wheel up and handle in much more than I could if there was abike attached to the other end. I'm pretty sure that it would take me twice the time to switch a tire, I usually flip the wheel over to get at the other side which I couldn't do witha lefty.

Maybe for a XC race pro who can spend serious training time doing it but I'm sceptical about the average rider.

I fully expect to incur the wrath of the leftyistas!

I don't have a lefty and have never ridden one - I couldn't afford a prophet witha lefty but I'm not against the idea and understand the basics of why a left should out perform other shocks..
    The quickest way I found to change the tire is to put the bike upside down.

The thing about changing a tube/tire on a normal fork since you have to take off the rim is the disk brake having to be messed with. ONce you get the wheel back on, sometimes the brake is not right for a variety of reasons. I have had to help buddies fix their brakes after their front wheel was off. Those self adjusting brakes, adjusted themselves into the disk.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg
    The quickest way I found to change the tire is to put the bike upside down.

The thing about changing a tube/tire on a normal fork since you have to take off the rim is the disk brake having to be messed with. ONce you get the wheel back on, sometimes the brake is not right for a variety of reasons. I have had to help buddies fix their brakes after their front wheel was off. Those self adjusting brakes, adjusted themselves into the disk.
    The brakes are not something I've ever hada problem with. Flip the QR lever, few turns, wheel out, do whatever it takes to change the tube or tyre and wheel back in, few turns on the qr, flip the lever, pump the brakes and off. That said I don't turn mike bike upside down, maybe your mates are managing to squeeze the brake lever a bit while the bike is upside down (pressuere on the lever dependant on lever angle) which would push the pads out. I find i can lift the front of the bike with one hand and drop the wheel out with the other.

I don't seem to be overly troubled with punctures either, I generally use maxxis DH badged tyres which may be heavy but survive the rockyness of the pyrenees and wales well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    change tires is faster on a lefty equipped bike. period. it's like working on a bike rack. unless your tires are a superclose fit, meaning it is really cold outside or something, fixing a flat or changing tires takes no time at all with a lefty. it's not that it is very time consuming with a regular fork, but it is just beyond fast with the lefty.

kevin, do you not like it or just not have one? a decent lefty prob outperforms an all mountain though ;-) hehe. oh well, we all have our likes and dislikes. and what's up with your prophet? selling it or keeping it? i might end up selling mine now as the new talas fork on my commencal supreme fr made that bike a lot more versatile and there's no way in hell i'm selling that one. i could prob get by with just the one bike. the prophet is 2kg lighter though, which is a lot, but the supreme can take whatever abuse i can trow its way and it has more travel. i love both of em, but i want a new laptop and some expensive dj equipment, so one prob have to go. too bad really.

mtbr member
    No technical objections to the Lefty; very simply it just seems "weird" to me. That's all! I know it sounds stupid. Must be a visual balance thing.

Klink> Cool you DJ; I used to as well. Still got my 1200s. If I can sell my Prophet as is for $1500 then I might sell it; but I'm tempted to just keep it as a rockin' trail bike. I'm assuming you don't want the ISX4? My ideal scenario is still Judge, Perp, and Prophet. The Supreme DH seems like a killer sweet bike. If they were more easily accessible here I would've considered it against the Judge.

I'm straying away from the idea of one "do it all" bike. I think this is really impossible; at least to pull it off in the absolute. With one bike for all types of riding you'd always be sacrificing something. I'd equate it to a primary care doctor (like we have here in the US) - knows a little about a lot, but doesn't know anything that well. You'd either be giving up head angle for DH runs, or have increased weight for XC runs. Granted I imagine not everyone wants to throw all their spending money into bikes!

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin G
    Granted I imagine not everyone wants to throw all their spending money into bikes!
    Well, we do, we just don't have enough spending money to begin with!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    well, yeah, i had a major "lefty can't be right, it'll bend for sure"-phase before i got the commencal, but i've now come to really like the lefty. And i kinda agree with what you're saying about the one do it all bike, but i'm not into hard core xc racing (too much work/of an hassle), it's all trails and rough all mountain riding for me, so a few kgs give or take... I'd rather have a bike that i can bomb downhill with than a really light one (though with a 4. something bombproof frame the current hopefully 14.something kilos of the supreme is in fact really light - it's just more than the 12.something prophet..) .

in terms of the isx, sure i really want it, but i just have to decide what to do with the prophet first. i'll go ride more of an xc trail tomorrow with the supreme and i'll see how i like it. If the supreme performs well there then i think that sadly enough the wonderful prophet must go.

my initial plan with the prophet was to use it as a to and from bike, but after i rebuilt it it got so overly nice that i couldn't use it that way. But with my commencal down for most of the season due to lacking bits and pieces and rebuilding projects, it has kinda been my trail bike this spring and fall, and partially summer. It is a sweet bike, but i firmly believe the supremes rear wheel setup is better. The lefty on the other hand, and the immensely nice handbuilt frame... it's just a gem i think. But... i need a laptop real bad and i've been in the marked for some top of the line dj equipment for two years now, i've just spent all my money on either snowboarding or my bikes. Maybe it's time i'd give the dj-hobby a little priority too ;-)

again, in terms of the isx, if can still have it i will prob take it. But if you're keeping the prophet... i recommended it to you so i can't very well go ahead and "steal" it from you. But, i kinda think you're dream setup would be the new 160mm bike with perhaps a little bit more travel up front and either the perp built as a dh bike, or the judge built more freeridish. Or are the perp and judge different enough that one can justify having both? What's odd with the prophet is while it "only" has 140mm in the reat, it still feels like a lot going down the trails. I just sometimes think that the lefty could be a bit taller, meaning the handlebars get too low when it gets really steep. A shorter stem could prob remedy this a bit, but oh well..

haven't tried the supreme dh, only my freeride (now the minidh), but it's quite different than the judge, at least in terms of travel, with only a 180 in the rear i believe. It is easily avaliable in the us though the new importer, but the handbuilt judge frame is prob of a slightly better craftmanship, if ever so slightly, and prob a bit lighter framewise. I dunno. If cannondale is your prefered brand buy a Cannondale. One should always buy the bike that on likes the best, even if it's not the best per say (or to some extent anyway). It's all about the stoke factor, get what gets your blood boiling, bot what someone else thinks is the shiiat (again, to some extent). I've never ridden a dh bike in anything other than in a shop, but i didn't really like em very much. Too much travel so they feel mushy, too heavy, too slack angles, just not enough supreme/prophet-like. I'm still relatively new to this mtbing as this is my second season on decent equipment and i think riding with less travel makes me a better and smoother rider. And besides i usually just hit trails to bomb down them so 6 inches is plenty i think.

and yes, sorry for semispam in the post. or hijacking it sort of ;-) and man, i write long replies don't i. hehe.

mtbr member
    I have a short stem and riser bars on my Prophet so it handles moderate downhills fine. I think I've mentioned this here, but I took it several times to Northstar (our local bike park here in northern California) and the Prophet did fine on black diamond trails. Granted, I craved A LOT more travel and a slacker head angle. And fatter tires. And higher BB.

Klink, ride the Judge if you ever get the chance. Your Prophet experience will come into play; you'll just feel like you can go down anything and over anything... and fast as hell too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    yeah, i'm suprised how much the 2cm extra travel up front and 1cm more in the rear of my supreme compared to the prophet does for the downhill part. I just point it and try to launch of stuff and more often than not it goes suprisingly well. A friend of mine owns a judge built up with some killer specs and i guess i should ask him if i could borrow the thing some day. It would be fun to try a dedicated dh rig. And i agree on the wish for a higher bb on the prophet, especially in the fr mode, but 2.3-2.4 tires are large enough for me. ;-)
    Last edited by klinkekule; 09-29-2007 at 06:15 AM.