mtbr member

Lost 2013 Cannondale Trail SL2 29er bike

I lost my bike last sunday when I was heading up to a trail when my cannondale trail sl2 29er bike fell off the thule raceway 9002 bike rack. The industrial strength rubberbands just snapped open. I looked at the rear mirror to see my bike drop and flop over the highway. My jaw just dropped and I tried to pull over the shoulder but there was none. I had to get off at the next exit and turn around but my bike was no where to be found. The bike is defintely replaceable but thank god no body got hurt. I later found out that the rubber bands on the thule bike rack popped open and the sway bar cracked on the bracket and the sway bar itself. I have posted this LOST&Found on craigslist to see if anyone picked up the bike and will return it back to the owner. I only had the bike for 3-4 weeks.

LOST CANNONDALE TRAIL SL2 29er bike
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2013 Cannonale Jekyll 3 M

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    [QUOTE=fondoo;9801848]I lost my bike last sunday when I was heading up to a trail when my cannondale trail sl2 29er bike fell off the thule raceway 9002 bike rack. The industrial strength rubberbands just snapped open. I looked at the rear mirror to see my bike drop and flop over the highway. My jaw just dropped and I tried to pull over the shoulder but there was none. I had to get off at the next exit and turn around but my bike was no where to be found. The bike is defintely replaceable but thank god no body got hurt. I later found out that the rubber bands on the thule bike rack popped open and the sway bar cracked on the bracket and the sway bar itself. I have posted this LOST&Found on craigslist to see if anyone picked up the bike and will return it back to the owner. I only had the bike for 3-4 weeks.

LOST CANNONDALE TRAIL SL2 29er bike[/QUO

Make sure to go back to the shop that you bought the Thule carrier from. I bought a rack this past summer that dented the bumper on my brand new Lexus and they covered repair expenses. I would think they would work with you on some level

mtbr member
    i bought the Thule bike rear bike rack from amazon. I did contact Thule and explained what has happened. sent them pictures and proof of purchase. They responded last week:

I regret to inform you that this type of misfortune is not covered by a THULE life time warrantee as the damages shown on the pictures would not be caused by a manufacturing defect.

Please refer to your owner’s manual for the Thule Limited Lifetime Warranty (Page 10):

· No warranty is given for defects caused by normal wear and tear, cosmetic rust, scratches, accidents, unlawful vehicle operation, or modification of, or any types of repair of, a load carrier system other than those authorized by THULE.

· No warranty is given for defects resulting from conditions beyond THULE’s control including, but not limited to, misuse, overloading, or failure to assemble, mount or use the product in accordance with THULE’s written instructions or guidelines included with the product or made available to the purchaser.

I am not happy with the response. I will keep persuing them. I have since purchase a Thule 990xt double track hitch bike rack, since i do NOT trust those rubber bands anymore.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mtbr member
    They will not buy you a new bike .
    They limit them selves to fixing and/or replacing the failed
    part or assembly of their product only .
    Pretty much all manufacturers put this in the fine print of their
    warranties .
    Happened to me .........

I thought these things happened to somebody else :-(

mtbr member
    what kind of trunk bike mount did you have?? i know cannondal top tube is 1.5 and it sometimes has issues sitting on the thule raceway 9002

mtbr member
    Tube size was not an issue for me as mine rack (hitch mount) was a
    Saris Thelma .
    Holds the bike by the wheels only .

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Really Sorry to hear about your loss.

I have the Thule Raceway Platform 2 Bike.
    It is the one that leaves the dent in the bumper.... never mind that.
    I make sure to secure the bike with an additional strap(s) to the rack in case of catastrophic failure.
    Flash29C2
    Scalpel 29C1
    Niner One9 SingleSpeed RDO fork
    Supersix Evo 1 Hi Mod D/A

Just Ride
    wow that sucks. But I'll tell ya, if my bike fell off my rack, I'd stop on the side of the road and pick it up, shoulder or no!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    I still use my Saris but made up some tie down straps with mountaineer web strapping ;-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I always add extra tie-downs to the racks.....disused inner tyre tubes makes excellent tie-downs. THat way when the original straps give way the inner tubes will still be there to keep the bike in place - i never just rely on the original straps. Once the bike settle down there'll be some give and with the wind turbulence and car vibrations the straps can give.

I'm surprised and shocked this happens to the thule 9002 - its supposed to be one of the better trunk racks available. So did u say the actual swingarm also broke - isn't that one solid piece of plastic?.....

mtbr member
    i have since then installed a hitch and upgraded to thule 990xt. i feel more safe with the wheels and frame strapped down. i refuse to use bike carriers that use those rubber straps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hi Fondoo,
    Can you elaborate a bit more on the damage of the Thule Raceway? did i understand correctly that there was more damage than the strap? - how can that be? - what caused the other damage? I've seen the Thule Raceway up close and it looks pretty burly and strong with lots of large plastic all round. And i was thinking the steel cables are more durable/stronger over the standard nylon straps for regular use.