mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Losing my Lefty - Scalpel 29er

Hello,

I don't expect a lot of kudos here but I have decided to part with my Lefty and go with a Sid XX. It started with me wanting a stem shorter than 90mm and my conversion to XX1 which required me to buy a new back wheel which led to me buying a set of carbon wheels and on and on. I have ordered the proper reducer headset for a tapered steerer. I am interested to know what I should be looking out for with regard to fork offset, axle to crown, stack height etc.. I know that the Scalpel has a steep head angle designed in conjunction with the offset of the Lefty (I believe the offset on my lefty is 46mm). I would actually like to slacken the front end in the process if possible. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Adding more travel to the front end would slacken the HT angle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thank you. The new fork is 100mm, so there will be no change there.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    You should be looking for a box to send that Lefty to me!

mtbr member
    Cannondale police have been informed and are on their way to you as we speak.

Your bicycle will be taken away from you and re-homed by the ISPCC (Intentional Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Cannondales)

P.S: I just thought you should know that you disgust me.
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

mtbr member
    Just throwing this out there, any chance you can just buy a different steerer tube to use something other then an OPI stem with the Lefty? Sounds like you are lightening the bike up with the exception of the fork which is going to be heavier. I don't know if such a thing exist, but was just a thought.
    '12 Flash 29r C3 with a few mods
    '10 Synapse 5 Carbon with a few mods as well..

mtbr member
    Really, pull the lefty just because you want more stem options, you can have the best of both worlds... Check this adapter out before making the move: PROJECT 321 | Products: 1.125" Cannondale Steerer Tube
    Klunk on............

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Dude, it's your bike. Do whatever you want. Carbon wheelsets are nice (according to my buddy).

I will respectfully ask that you let me inspect your old Lefty for 12-18 months to make sure it's suitable for selling to another rider. It will be tough, but someone has to do it.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I actually ordered the steerer tube but I'm having the shop return is as my plans have changed and it took too long. The issue with the lefty is that in order to run a short stem, even with that steerer, I would have to have a ridiculous number of spacers to get the stem high enough to clear the Lefty. I'm actually pretty excited to go with a conventional fork for a while. I'm just using the fork for an indefinite period of time and have the option to try a 120mm as well. My bike will be a weapon with the XX1, Reverb, wide-ass bars, carbon wheels. I'm guessing it will weigh about 23 pounds when I'm done.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    My Scalpel's transformation is complete and I couldn't be happier. While I was at it I moved the spacer to the lower position to slacken things out. I'm running a 60 mm stem, 750mm bars and a sid black box 29. No more creaking and best part is I can ride no hands in a straight line.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tranceinmypants View Post
    My Scalpel's transformation is complete and I couldn't be happier. While I was at it I moved the spacer to the lower position to slacken things out. I'm running a 60 mm stem, 750mm bars and a sid black box 29. No more creaking and best part is I can ride no hands in a straight line.
    Dude, you have a ton of issues and do not know what you are doing at all. If is creaking then you assembled it wrong, if you cannot ride no handed with a Lefty then your cables are routed wrong and if you need a 60mm stem on a Scalpel then the bike does not fit you. Please sell bike immediately because you are embarrassing the brand.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Your right about me having issues. It's something I work on every day. My no hands comment was just to see who would bite 1st. You won. 60mm stem on a scalpel has less to to with bike fit and more about shredding the downs. It really hasn't effected handling while climbing. It's fun to have a super light XC bike set up for more of an enduro style of riding. Is my frame being used for it's intended purpose? Probably not. Will I crack my frame soon? Quite likely.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Here is it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Losing my Lefty - Scalpel 29er-photo-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Glad to hear you got your bike sorted how you like it but can't imagine going back to conventional forks after riding the Lefty. I looked at the scraped stanchions on my wife's Foxes yesterday and thought to myself "that is such a stupid design" Honestly, good luck to you with it, though!

Just a note for anyone that might still be getting Lefty / headset creaking that hasn't seen the older posts: There's a steerer available that fixes this issue and not expensive:

UK: Cannondale OPI Steerer STD KH078/STD – Qwerty Cycles

US: Cannondale Lefty OPI Steerer Only - Standard - KH078 - CannondaleExperts.com

mtbr member
    May 2013
    soooo, where can you get a headset that would allow to use a tapered fox fork on a flash 29 headtube??