mtbr member
    Jun 2007

New question here. Looking for a used Prophet 1000...

Hey all,
    I'm looking for a 2005/2006 Prophet 1000. I need an XL frame (6'3" 215lbs). I know I'll get various opinions, but some questions:

- What on earth is a bike like this worth? What would you consider good condition vs excellent? # of miles acceptable?

- Anything to look for when looking at a used lefty (or a used bike for that matter)?

- Anything special about shipping a bike?

- I'm looking on ebay and mtbr classifieds, also craigslist here and there. Anywhere else?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    well, the important point is, at least what i do whenever i buy something used here in norway, is to make a solid contract so you're covered if the bike isn't as described or something goes wrong write a way. what you do is get the seller to describe the bike as close to current shape as possible. you then define the types of problems you can have before the sale can be reversed. you then define these problems, when, how and where the bikes is delivered and paid for. also, get all, aand i mean all, the components on the bike specified so you're sure that you get what you're paying for in terms of what was on it stock and so that you know what's on the frame. it's no good paying for a prophet 1000 frame with a 3 way swinger if you get a metel no is it.

as i bought a 05 cannondale prophet 1000 the points you have to be aware of is:
    1) hubs. the formula made wind hubs are notoriously unreliable apparently and my rear hub got messed up the second time out on the bike. result, due to a waterproof contract i got a refund for the rear wheel. good stuff. also it's nice to know if the wheels are nice and true and that the rims aren't damaged.
    2) all the parts you regurlarly switch, like braking pads etc and the condition of these. replacing these are sometimes costly so get the seller to tell you how long you have to go before replacing them, or get him to replace em.
    3) frame! bent? any injuries in the coating? any replacements on the frame? any cablewear (on mine the rear braking cable actually had started making a crevasse or itched it's way slightly into the frame, which is no good). if the frame has issues it's easier if the original owner sort em out with cannondale.
    4) has the shock/fork had any service or any problems. if seller says no but you later find out that there has been, this is something that should be covered in the contract.
    5)the general shape of the components.

lastly it's an idea to find out for what type of riding the bike has been used. so people, like the previous owners of my prophet, were xc-riders that just had to have a really nice bike and you couldn't tell that the bike had been used almost at all. i use it for all mountain and light freeride/dh so i'm putting a lot more strain on the frame. frames sold by riders like me has to be checked a lot more carefully in the weldings etc to look for cracks etc which returns us to the frame section. it's the most important "component" so it has to be as close to 100% as possible.

the main point is just making sure you get what you pay for and that you hopefully don't have to spend too much on it before you can use it.

that being said, there's probably some new 05 and 06 prophets out there in xl as it's an odd size. search for it online with words like "cannondale prophet closeout" etc. i managed to find quite a few of em just after christmas, but opted to get on here in norway used even though it was more expensive than getting a new one from the us because it was less of an hassle. forgot to get one when i was over there in january.

and yeah, shipping a bike shouldn't be very expensive as one can prob get a real box from a store for free as they have to pay to throw em away and shipping em with ups ground isn't too expensive as the boxes aren't over size.

hope some of this was helpful and good luck on your purchase. it's a sweet bike i have to say. and yes, the components are pretty similar except the 05 has nicer, if somewhat xc-inspired 24 rim wheels. and the 05 brown one, the one i have, look really really nice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by klinkekule
    well, the important point is, at least what i do whenever i buy something used here in norway, is to make a solid contract so you're covered if the bike isn't as described or something goes wrong write a way.
    Thanks for the great advice - would you have an example of a typical contract?

mtbr member
    I was looking for last years Prophet MX of 4X so I called Cannondale and asked which were the the shops in my area / state who carried the most inventory.

I then called 2 shops and found one. Nice price too (200-400 off), but I just dont know if I want the 2007 or 2006 now.....lol.

Try the same and you might find a shop has one on clearance, but do it quick!!!!

As for ebay, I have sold 3 high end bikes and I always posted the max amount of images and provided links to super high def images as well (but I take very maticulous care of my stuff). I would never buy from someone who cannot provide you with similar images and withouth substantial feedback (and at 100 percent possitive at that)! Remember, your going to be bombing down trails on this thing so you gotta have faith its not going to tank on you!

Good luck and try the shops first
    PrOxY

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    well, i have the contracts i have used, but they're in norwegian- hehe, and they basically cover the above mentioned issues. you just write em yourself and get the seller to agree on the wording or try to find one on ebay or something. with some high def pictures and a detailed description of the frame and components is usually sufficient to guard you from buying a ruined bike.

other than that i would do some calling around and searching online. there's bound to be some clearance prophets out there if you search a little. if you can afford getting a new it's that much better because it is, well brand new.

for 4x i would get the 4x prophet. my brother has it and it's sweet. other than that the 06 mx1 is a little bit better spec'ed with a travel adjustable talas up front. the 07 has a float. dunno if six inches is too much for 4x-ing. guess you could set it up a little stiff if there's too much travel with all 6 inches. dunno. guess you could always go for the pike spec'ed one too.