mtbr member
    Apr 2005

looking for a solution for front derailleur on a gemini dh

Hi,

I'm pretty sure that you can stick a front derailleur on a 2005 Gemini DH since it looks like there is a braze-on for an e-type mount.

First - is that right?
    Second - anyone know the model # of a current e-type that will work? I've noticed there are a lot to choose from...
    Third - Will a dual chain guide work with this, like an e13 setup, or similar?
    Fourth - I don't see any front derailleur cable stops - how does this work? Could I run a full housing type thing?

Thanks for any help. After todays ride (which required pedaling in a gear that I didn't have), I'm trying to make my bike more versatile.

Cheers,

Colin

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Can't help with the specifics but I thought I'd give your post a bump. Stock the Gemini came with LX fd I'd guess E type. If you use the search function you'll find a thread full of Gemini's which will probably answer some of your questions. Posting pictures also helps with specific questions. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    thanks

Yeah, I've got it pretty much figured out through reading the forums and technical docs, although no one has given me a definitive answer not even cannondale - it won't be cheap if i do decide to do it. In theory i'll need:

proprietary cannondale piece that routes the shift cable under the bb shell into the derailleur
    etype front derailleur
    drs system
    drs special backplate for etype derailleur

I almost think it's easier to look out for a used gemini frame that comes with the cable piece and derailleur - all parts would swap over and it would turn into a more versatile machine...still need the drs stuff though I guess

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    And you change your car when the ash-trays are full?
    Don't be down this is not a big deal.
    The proprietary cannondale piece that routes the shift cable under the bb shell into the derailleur is dealer only but is just a small piece of plastic and can't be expensive.
    The etype front derailleur comes with the special backplate and are quite cheap here http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=7769 and so are shifters http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=10787
    You may do even better in the states and if that's too much cash I just bought an LX Etype fd on ebay for under $5.
    Go on make your bike how you want it and have fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    cheers!

haha yeah, it seems like a lot of work, but hey, winter is settling in so it'll be one of my projects. There isn't a cannondale dealer near me, but there is in Spokane, and I'll be there this weekend and hopefully at least they can order it for me.

thanks for the info

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Well i figure i should update this thread, as someone else might want to know - I had trouble finding info on this board and ridemonkey. A guy on nsmb was helpful as he did the setup as well.

I did it with mostly parts lying around like my BB mounted Stinger and LX shifter. I also picked up a Shimano EType M665 SLX derailleur and the part for the under the BB shell cable router piece. I decided not to get the e.13 drs, as I already had the stinger, and the drs would have cost a ton seeing as I would have had to buy the etype backplate on top of the drs system itself.

(I guess it's no different than a regular Gemini for parts and process.)

bike

cranks, derailleur, bash and chain guide. Since the stinger plate is 3.5mm, it took some trial and error to set up the Diabolus cranks just right - we will see.

I wrapped my derailleur cable with some electrical tape so it would fit a brake cable stop I had. It then fit into the Cannondale plastic housing which in turn fits into the frame guide. If the plastic doesn't last, then I'll have to find something else. But, it feels pretty strong.

Cannondale cable routing piece that a shop in Spokane had and charged me a whopping $2 for - cool!

Other angle

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Glad to see ypu've got it sorted.