noob
    Aug 2010

Looking at buying a Cannondale

I am looking at buying a 98-02 F800-3000. Something along these lines, it is not set in stone. If I could get a deal on a newer model, or just find a frame for a reasonable price, I would do that too.

The thing is, I want to swap out parts and make this a city commuter. I have been trying to find out what parts on these bikes are different from every other manufacturer (aka headset/headtube and bottom bracket?) and if I can get around these issues, or I should scrap the idea entirely.

I have never owned a Cannondale, but always liked them.

Ridin' dirty!
    The only things that are different are the headset, headshok fork and stem.
    But there are after market headsets available which allow you to use a traditional 1 1/8 steerer suspension fork/stem combo too.
    Keep us updated on your project....F series makes a real nice commuter bike.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

noob
    Aug 2010
    Thanks, and will do! I am pretty excited, but I also might go with a road bike instead, I am weighing my options. Decisions decisions.

How hard are Lefty's and Headshoks to sell? I will end up getting a bike with one or the other, and plan on switching to a rigid front fork.

mtbr member
    Get a road bike w/ drop bars for commuting. Flat bars are for the woods. IMO of course.
    My one says BRAP!

noob
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by plume
    Get a road bike w/ drop bars for commuting. Flat bars are for the woods. IMO of course.
    I have ridden MTB's my whole life, and never road bikes. Sorta worried about hitting the brakes quickly with drop bars, especially since I live in NYC. Am I just being paranoid?