mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Looking for a bike and need your help, maybe a Bad Boy 9....

Hello All,

I've always wanted to ride but never got into it... Back in March I had cervical spine surgery ( neck ) and at 40 years old and never being much of a working out type of person I decided I want to get my body as strong as possible and think going for some nice long rides could be helpful... But I don't know what to get...

I had a friend mention the Cannondale Bad Boy but also wanted something I could take on trails but didn't want to go crazy just yet spending alot of money...

So, I wanted to see if you guys could help me out and let me know which way I can go... I found the Bad Boy 9 at REI for $699 which is a bit more than I wanted to spend but I guess it's worth it for a better product and I'm sure the hobby is worth it...

So, I wanted to know what your opinion was on the Bad Boy 9 or should I go with something else in that price range... Think i'm willing to stretch it to about $800...

Cannondale Bad Boy 9 Bike - 2014 at REI.com

Rockhopper Comp 29

CANNONDALE PROPHET 800 MOUNTAIN BIKE

20 inch Specialized Rockhopper M4 Mountain Bike

Specialized mountain bike

or

Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - 2010 Motobecane Fantom Trail

Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Fantom 29PRO

So, what to do?

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    The bad boy isn't really meant to be taken off-road. It's got a decently strong frame, sure, but it's not a mountain bike. If what you're doing is riding on bike paths, streets, and the occasional gravel road, then it'll be just about perfect.
    But before any more recommendations are made...
    a) What kind of riding are you looking to do? Mostly street/paths? Mostly offroad on fire roads? More normal mountain biking on single track?
    b) How tall are you, what is your inseam, what is your weight (approximate), and do you know what kind of terrain is near you?
    2009 GT Sanction 2.0
    2007 C'dale Prophet 5
    1994 C'dale M400

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Well, I live about 15 minutes from New York by car. So most of the riding i'll be doing here will be on the road and your occasional ride through the park and dirt roads. So really want something that is pretty tough and can handle these beat up streets and that's hey I wanted a mountain bike but was told the bad boy was a great bike which I can do this on. But I also want to find nice trails to ride on. I can't go hard because of the surgery I had but still want to find trails to ride and use the bike on. I'm 6'0, 220, inseam is 32.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Maybe a mountain bike I can put some road tires on?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Ok. After being on this forum and looking around a mountain bike it is...

mtbr member
    I had 2 Titanium rods screwed into my spine a little over a year ago and I bought a Salsa Fargo afterwards. The geometery is much better for my back than a road bike. I would look at something with a more upright sit form and I cant recommend enough the thudbuster seatpost for taking the edge off any bumps. I changed the tires to 2" Schwalbe Big Bens and they work great for road and gravel. For your price range, I would look more into getting a good used bike instead of something brand new

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks. Will consider it all. Keep suggestions coming. And how about the ones in the links I posted?