mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Looking for an adapter, not a reducer for my Gemini

I'm looking for an adapter that will allow me to use the 1.5 headset that is on the bike. I don't want to buy another headset and a reducer, or another headset like the one cane creek has that will get the job done. I'm trying to get something like what clc concepts had. It looks like they are out of business. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by r32657
    I'm looking for an adapter that will allow me to use the 1.5 headset that is on the bike. I don't want to buy another headset and a reducer, or another headset like the one cane creek has that will get the job done. I'm trying to get something like what clc concepts had. It looks like they are out of business. Any ideas?
    What kind of 1.5 headset do you have? I'm not familiar with clc concepts but from what I got from googling it was designed as a reducer for the headshock. If your Gemini original had a Lefty with a SI headset then the clc might work.

If your lucky you might have a FSA Extreme Orbit Pro. This headset can run 1.5 or 1 1/8 by just changing the crown and top reducer. Easy 5 minute swap.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    It's just the Cane creek 1.5. The thing that I was looking to get allowed you to just slip the adapter onto the bearings of the 1.5 headset, and would hold the 1 1/8 steerer of the fork

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It's just the Cane creek 1.5. The thing that I was looking to get allowed you to just slip the adapter onto the bearings of the 1.5 headset, and would hold the 1 1/8 steerer of the fork
    The 1.5 standard is not the same as the 1.5 standard for the Cannondale headshock and Lefty standard. So if this adapter was designed for the Cannondale 1.5 it probably won't fit.

COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
    Quote Originally Posted by racerzero
    What kind of 1.5 headset do you have? I'm not familiar with clc concepts but from what I got from googling it was designed as a reducer for the headshock. If your Gemini original had a Lefty with a SI headset then the clc might work.

If your lucky you might have a FSA Extreme Orbit Pro. This headset can run 1.5 or 1 1/8 by just changing the crown and top reducer. Easy 5 minute swap.
    racerzero, So I have a Extreme Orbit Pro on my Gemini and all I need is two parts to change to 1 1/8"? The crown race and the top cap race? Where can I get these parts at? Through my LBS?

Earlier today I was just looking at the pdf on my headset because I think I need a new lower bearing. I did not know, but I found out they are gauranteed for ten years. So I plan on calling my C-dale dealer and see what they can do for me, and I will have them check on the 1 1/8" parts as well.

Here is the pdf for FSA headsets. Page 105 and 108 for the Extreme Orbit Pro 1.5 and the 1.5 / 1 1/8". Parts 2,3,8, change from 1.5 to 1 1/8". Answered my own question while researching.

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/downloads/headsetbook.pdf
    I can fix it............... my dad has an awesome set of tools

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The 1.5 standard is not the same as the 1.5 standard for the Cannondale headshock and Lefty standard. So if this adapter was designed for the Cannondale 1.5 it probably won't fit.

The adapters that I was looking for have been around before the rest of the bike industry started to shift to 1.5. So this is Cannondale 1.5 specific. I just don't want to have to buy another headset, and the reducer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by spacoli
    Here is the pdf for FSA headsets. Page 105 and 108 for the Extreme Orbit Pro 1.5 and the 1.5 / 1 1/8". Parts 2,3,8, change from 1.5 to 1 1/8". Answered my own question while researching.

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/downloads/headsetbook.pdf
    I have these headset on my Prophet and Gemini. The Prophet is running 1 1/8 Marzocchi & the Gemini is running a 1.5 Sherman. Everything is identical except for the parts you mentioned. Both my headset does not have part 1 (rubber o-ring)

My lower bearing is a little rough too. I'm thinking part 1 maybe needed to minimize water leaking into the lower bearing. I was just going to the hardward store put an o-ring that will fit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The adapters that I was looking for have been around before the rest of the bike industry started to shift to 1.5. So this is Cannondale 1.5 specific. I just don't want to have to buy another headset, and the reducer.
    These probably won't fit your Canecreek 1.5. The Cannondale 1.5 is really something like 1.57.

COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
    I have these headset on my Prophet and Gemini. The Prophet is running 1 1/8 Marzocchi & the Gemini is running a 1.5 Sherman. Everything is identical except for the parts you mentioned. Both my headset does not have part 1 (rubber o-ring)

My lower bearing is a little rough too. I'm thinking part 1 maybe needed to minimize water leaking into the lower bearing. I was just going to the hardward store put an o-ring that will fit.
    That's strange you don't have that o-ring. It sets in a recessed groove in the top cap (part #2).

I'm getting a little clicking out of mine when landing or braking hard. It didn't do it until I changed forks and removed and reinstalled the lower race. So I took it apart and found the lower bearing to be a little rough. Not sure if that's the problem or my lower race wasn't fully seated. The headset has no play in it at all.

I'm happy I don't have to buy a new headset to go to 1 1/8" if I want,especially with the cost of a good quality headset. Very smart move on FSA's part.

Thanks for your original post, I would have never known.
    I can fix it............... my dad has an awesome set of tools