makin skid marks
    Jun 2007

Long(ish)-travel 20mm fork on a Jekyll?

A friend has a Jekyll 800. He was perfectly happy w/the lefty until he rode a Gemini(Sherman). He's a motorcyclist & used to the stiffness of a dirtbike's front end. Is it possible and/or even advisable to put a longer-than-the-lefty's-140mm-travel fork on his Jekyll or should we look for a complete new bike?
    Actually I abhor cycling- I just like wearing tight shorts

makin skid marks
    Jun 2007

Dumb question?

Does my breath stink? Bikes are dumb..?

mtbr member
    Your buddy is pretty much capped on the type of fork he can mount by Cannondale's maximum axle to crown length, which on the Jekyll is 525mm. This includes length includes whatever headset he's using along with the reducers. Here's the link http://www.cannondale.com/asset/iu_f...echnote_en.pdf

There are several Uber V's running 6" travel forks which have to right at this limit, if not a bit over and nobody has reported cracking a head tube yet. I'm using a 10th anniversary Z1 bomber on mine and enjoy it immensely.
    Alea Jacta Est

makin skid marks
    Jun 2007
    Thanks- I'm thinking he'll be better off selling the Jekyll & getting something more stout all around. This was his first good MTB, so it was hard to guess which way to go- XC vs AM vs DH.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Apologies for reviving a dead topic - I have a 2000 Cannondale Jekyll 900Sx and would like to replace the dead Lefty with a 140mm Fox Vanilla. Does anybody know whether this is possible? Will the bike be too choppered out? Leftys (even on Fleabay) are too expensive. Thank you.