Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Live in Taiwan?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator

Live in Taiwan?

Hey, long story, but I'm wondering if there's any folks on here who live in Taiwan, and wouldn't mind shooting me an PM? I need to get some local info on how the justice system works there, and how I should best approach the local authorities with a problem I'm having with an eBay purchase. eBay and Paypal are about as helpful to sellers as a hammer in a watch factory.

Long story, and I won't bore the boards with it....

Thanks!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Hey, long story, but I'm wondering if there's any folks on here who live in Taiwan, and wouldn't mind shooting me an PM? I need to get some local info on how the justice system works there, and how I should best approach the local authorities with a problem I'm having with an eBay purchase. eBay and Paypal are about as helpful to sellers as a hammer in a watch factory.

Long story, and I won't bore the boards with it....

Thanks!
    Well, now you've done it....tell us the whole story...pleeeeeeeease....
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac
    Well, now you've done it....tell us the whole story...pleeeeeeeease....
    +1
    And its obligatory...But...This thread is useless w/o pics...?

Well, the short version is this. eBay's feedback system gives you an idea of who your dealing with, right? So, someone with over 120, 100% positive in two years, would seem to be a solid cat, agreed? Add close to a dozen emails back and forth, over a two week timeframe, all in depth conversations regarding shipping details, the frame in question, swapping stories of vintage roadie builds etc, would confirm the feeling that you were dealing with an honest person.

Very few Post Offices around here, deal with GXG, which is sadly, the only way this could ship to Taiwan. Cost $320 to ship. He felt there was a less expensive way, but through lot's of fact checking, multiple trips to said far away PO, and lots of emails, he finally said okay, send it. I gave him several chances to back out no hard feelings or negative feedback, as it's a stupid amount to pay, but based on box size/country of destination, it was the best and cheapest choice. He said OK, ship it, the price is fine.

Here's my mistake, which I alone, own. I shipped it without payment in hand, and then confirmed the total with him via invoice.

Why? Because two months previously, I got a GXG quote from USPS rate calc of $200 to ship a frame to Israel. Charged the guy, and went happily to the PO to ship. He's paid in full mind you. It ended up costing $455.

Much painful back and forth later, we agreed to split the difference. and I was out $125 on the sale, crap, and lesson learned.

I'd been so in touch with this guy, and his feedback was good, and he was a decent guy it seemed, no weirdness at all. I told him I'd go, get a total, from the PO let him know, and ship after he paid. He didn't even know I was going to ship before payment.

I sent him an invoice (no mention of it's already shipping), gone. No response. Wait a few days, a few more emails, now he has it, how do I know? Cause it took two days to get there, and the mother flocker signed for it. More polite emails, nothing, Started an unpaid item dispute, nothing. Contact eBay, sorry, can't help, call Paypal (in an Indian accent BTW) . Call them, nope, call eBay (also Indian). Call eBay back, fumed, ask to speak with a higher up, get disconnected, call back really fumed, tell the whole story, (again) finally get a manager (also Indian) who makes me tell the whole story (again), then tells me "good news", he can help me get my final value fee back. WTF? Did you even comprehend what I told you? Do you understand how insulting what you just said is? Freak out on him, get transferred to PayPal (funny how they have "nothing to do with each other" when I first called, but now they have direct transfer)????

Am told there's nothing they can do. She asks if this is my first transaction, no, try 360th+. Explain the whole thing again. She suggests I send an invoice through Paypal, which I do. Surprise, no response.

What really gets me is how you're told they have your back, you're protected. This guy is still active, selling, buying, etc. In fact, his feedback has grown 4 since this started. I'm the long standing member, who's never done anything to anyone, and you can't even shut his account down? Let alone, with all the emails, proof of auction completion, proof of shipping to said individual, both through CC receipt, and FexEx/USPS paper work take some kind of actual action like say, get me the funds from his Paypal or bank account, like they did to a buddy of mine a few years back, who was in a dispute not of his making (whole other nightmare story there)? I'll bet if it didn't show up at his door when I said I'd shipped? Even if I could prove I'd shipped? He'd get his money back, in full, and I'd have a black mark on my account.

I'm out $770 and some asshat in Taiwan is laughing at me. I plan on contacting local authorities, hopefully someone speaks some English, and give them all the details. I have address, phone number, name, and paperwork to back up my story. I'd like to think that they'd be interested in chatting with someone committing international fraud, particularly with so much proof.

God I'm mad, is it obvious?

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Quote Originally Posted by CdaleTony
    +1
    And its obligatory...But...This thread is useless w/o pics...?
    I got your pic right here....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Live in Taiwan?-2-480x640.jpg  

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

I'm sure it's against forum rules Tony, but if it'd please the court, I'd be happy to post his user ID, as well as phone #, street address, name etc.

I'd love to hear he got a good beatdown by the local bike gang.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Name and Shame... you have my vote!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    sadly i'm not the one to be overly loud here after the fork/stem/headset debacle (huge appology for that one - tried to make up for it by recommending you to a lot of guys from Norway and i think you've gotten some business that way - hope so at least), but might i suggest either contacting the US embassy in/on Taiwan (they should be very helpful and know all the right procedures to yield a swift and satisfactory solution) or if that fails to yield any positive results I would suggest contacting the guy who runs Banshee bikes, a compatriote of yours. I know he recently moved to Taiwan. I've heard he's a great guy and could prob help you get connected to the right people or at least call the douche in question. A friend of mine has bought three frames from him over the last year so getting his info shouldn't prove to be an issue if that is something i could help you out with. Sadly i don't know anybody from Taiwan nor am I an expert in international law, so can't help you there. I'm absolutely baffled though that neither Ebay nor Paypal could help you, but I've seen other people complaining that the buyer protection far outstrips the seller protection. I hope to hear that things are gonna work out for you and to be honest i'm stupified at the level of sheer audacity and stupidity of the buyer in question.If the authorities gets interested in the case and act to solve it he will have a snowballs chance in a vulcano to prove his innocence.

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by sp3000
    Name and Shame... you have my vote!
    Yep, I 2nd that!
    Mendon, did you try to contact your local authorities in order to find out how to deal with this?
    They might be able to point you in the right direction....
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    Is it a western guy? What city was it in? Unfortunately I doubt you will see much reconciliation if any...Taiwan has a lot of stuff to worry about (ahem China) and the last thing they will put much attention to will be an ebay auction gone wrong. Also, I am curious why shipping is so expensive? Do you not have access to FedEx or DHL? I ship international all the time with FedEx and it usually lands well under 100 dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by bad ronald
    Is it a western guy? What city was it in? Unfortunately I doubt you will see much reconciliation if any...Taiwan has a lot of stuff to worry about (ahem China) and the last thing they will put much attention to will be an ebay auction gone wrong. Also, I am curious why shipping is so expensive? Do you not have access to FedEx or DHL? I ship international all the time with FedEx and it usually lands well under 100 dollars.
    Western as in, from this side of the world? Nope, unless his Mom gave him a very Asian sounding name

He's in Fongshan City.

I doubt it too, but I'm going to do my best to extract a pound of flesh, even if it's simply police stopping by to chat him up......

Shipping, yep, I do it a lot too. It has to do with the dimensional inches allowed into a certain country. USPS International Priority to many countries is very reasonable, like you said, less than 100 bucks.

But those countries allow 108 dimensional inches USPS Int. Priority. Taiwan, Israel, Astralia and I'm sure others, say 79 dim. inch maximum, anything larger, it needs to go GXG. When I went through the first fiasco with Israel, I checkd Fed Ex, UPS, DHL, hell, I even checked Greyhound, and a few migratory bird flocks And all were more than GXG by at least 20 or 30 bucks.

If it were a FS frame, it'd fit cause it can be broken in half. I have a frame shipping to Australia soon, that will get the break down and box shave to meet the 79" requirement.

What a freaking PITA, it's just a money making scheme I swear.....

To the others who took the time to respond, thanks, all good ideas too. I ship a lot internationally, but I have to say, I don't deal with much else internationally, so I wouldn't have considered that stuff

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    I'm not sure you can do anything about this in terms of the Law. You signed the package over with his name on it, then he signed for it his end, its now his property sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by chick0
    I'm not sure you can do anything about this in terms of the Law. You signed the package over with his name on it, then he signed for it his end, its now his property sadly.
    On principal, I agree, and I'll say again, I own that mistake. However, I also have what to me seems to be an binding, unfulfilled, legal contract, in the form of an incomplete transaction through eBay. Invoices not completed through PayPal and eBay, as well as his info attached to the winning bid.

Not saying I'll get anywhere, but I'll have fun trying. Wish I had the time and money to appear at this guys front door, unannounced......

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

local trails rider
    I have understood that Jay from Banshee Bikes has relocated to Taiwan, better to supervise their production.

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    I'll be in Taiwan on Friday...Too bad I'll be 3 hours away from Fongshan City or I'd knock on his door for ya...

Quote Originally Posted by bad ronald
    I'll be in Taiwan on Friday...Too bad I'll be 3 hours away from Fongshan City or I'd knock on his door for ya...
    I'll gladly get you the address, you could mail him a threatening note from inside the country, pay up or I'll be by for a personal visit, let him think I have some serious global reach

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    On principal, I agree, and I'll say again, I own that mistake. However, I also have what to me seems to be an binding, unfulfilled, legal contract, in the form of an incomplete transaction through eBay. Invoices not completed through PayPal and eBay, as well as his info attached to the winning bid.

Not saying I'll get anywhere, but I'll have fun trying. Wish I had the time and money to appear at this guys front door, unannounced......

Well i wish you the best of luck with getting what you are owed..

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

check his facebook

Criag , you should check if he has a facebook account , then write to all of his ladies onlinr friends and tell them what a scum he really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Heywatchthis
    Criag , you should check if he has a facebook account , then write to all of his ladies onlinr friends and tell them what a scum he really is.
    Damn fine idea!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

don't forget this link

...and make sure you include a direct link for THIS thread for ALL of his facebook friends and family to see ..

mtbr member
    Have you tried looking up a Taiwanese debt collection company? they often "buy" debts so you would lose a bit, but they would pursue him. I'll have a look to see if I can find one.

mtbr member
    http://www.ucredit.com.tw/ this could be a bit big for the debt, but I'd say it's your best shot at getting something.

mtbr member
    http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&sour...2ccad6ac640902 there are heaps of places that might be suitable, just google debt collection in Taiwan.

Quote Originally Posted by sp3000
    http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&sour...2ccad6ac640902 there are heaps of places that might be suitable, just google debt collection in Taiwan.
    Sweet, thanks.

I don't find need to have to do this (ever), so I didn't even realize there were groups that do this kind of thing. I appreciate it

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Sweet, thanks.

I don't find need to have to do this (ever), so I didn't even realize there were groups that do this kind of thing. I appreciate it
    Very popular method in Asia to get money back......those companies aren't exactly civil either. However they will get your guy to pay up in a split second.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast