mtbr member
    May 2005

Lighten my Gemini??

Hi,
    I'm getting a new 04' Gemini 900 but I'm not a downhiller! Would like to "dress it down"
    to trail bike weight, say about 30 lb.s or less if possibl...any tips on best bang for my buck?
    Here's what I'm thinking:
    - XT cranks (sell Hussifelt)
    - 2.2 tires w/ stans no-tubes (maybe Spesh' Enduro Pros)
    - Fox Float RP3?
    - XT/Mavic 717 rear wheel
    - 6 inch rotor in the back
    - Lighter seat post...

Thanks!

Are you talking to me?

A start?

Wheels and tires first. The XT hub is an anchor. You can drop pounds by going to a lighter wheel/tire combo.

From there, the cranks/BB, cassette, 6" rotor in back, and a SC bar. THe saddle/post can drop weight without going stupid light.

How heavy are you, and what type of riding are you doing?

I weigh 225lb, and my Gemini hovers around 32-34 pounds depending on tires and pedals. )It has a Lefty MAX up front, so that helps.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    gfy

mtbr member
    May 2005

Good ideas...

Thanks for the tips,
    I weigh 180, and do XC riding. Im not great at jumps and drops, but wanted the Gemini to play around on more. In Austin we have a few knarly trails with lots of sharp broken rock, 1-2 foot ledges, and some rough/loose down hill sections. I ride a Turner Burner with four inches of travel, but have a light build on it. So, the Gemini is for me to push my riding skills up.
    I'm on a budget, I know the XT is a heavy hub, but its a spare I have laying round. Maybe a Hope rear hub? Im more worried about Mavic 717's not holding up to the abuse you can dish out on a Gemini
    Also, what about the shock? Im thinking of a Pushed Fox Float which should cut a lot of weight but still work well.
    Gee the bike's not even here yet!
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian
    Thanks for the tips,
    I weigh 180, and do XC riding. Im not great at jumps and drops, but wanted the Gemini to play around on more. In Austin we have a few knarly trails with lots of sharp broken rock, 1-2 foot ledges, and some rough/loose down hill sections. I ride a Turner Burner with four inches of travel, but have a light build on it. So, the Gemini is for me to push my riding skills up.
    I'm on a budget, I know the XT is a heavy hub, but its a spare I have laying round. Maybe a Hope rear hub? Im more worried about Mavic 717's not holding up to the abuse you can dish out on a Gemini
    Also, what about the shock? Im thinking of a Pushed Fox Float which should cut a lot of weight but still work well.
    Thanks!
    I think Hope hubs are pretty good, but stay away from the "XC" hub, you want something stronger for Gemini. As for the hoops I would choose Mavic XM819 or DT EX5.1d for trail riding. And regerding the shock you can have a Float in there but you'll be much more happier w/ DHX Air.
    Hey, maybe you'll be happier w/ one of the new Prophets - one from the MX range.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Thanks!

Great suggestions on the rims and shock....I thought about the Prophet, but really wanted 6 inches or plus of travel....Will post before/after pics after the mods...
    Christian

Are you talking to me?

Travel will be reduced.

If you go with an air shock, the trravel will be reduced by 13% or so. THe longest Float has a 2" stroke, not 2.25".
    gfy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian
    Thanks for the tips,
    Thanks!
    Austin sucks, everyone knows that Houston has the most technical trails around.

Just get some crossmax(ebay for like 500) and a set of single ply foldable 2.35 larsen tt's with stans. The crossmax will be strong enough and the tt's will help take most of the impact plus they will still roll very fast. And switch to some ti rotors from www.hypebolts.com that will give you the desired effect.

Members who have read this thread: 0