mtbr member
    Nov 2011

light wheelset needed

hi!
    i'm looking for a lightweight rims for scalpel 29er. i am 195 pounds (85kg) and i have crests on my 26er but i'm not sure crests-29' are ok for me.

any advices?

SS XC Junkie
    If you talk to the folks at Stan's you'll be an ideal candidate for Arches and they won't recommend Crest for your weight. 195lb and lightweight do not usually go in the same sentence especially if you're looking for reliability. I race between 205-210 and I've found that reliability trumps a few grams of weight savings.

A 2nd option for you, I've been experimenting with the Light-Bicycles carbon AM wheels. They are more expensive than Stans but considerably cheaper than Reynolds or Enve. I'm having good experience with these wheels and even had one built with a Project321 hub for the front. There's a 100+ page thread about these wheels somewhere in the MTBR forums.

mtbr member

Re: light wheelset needed

I've been riding crests for years with no problem at that weight. Just remember brass nipples and a decent spoke. I wouldn't recommend anything super light weight for spokes.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I was recommended arch ex by a wheel-builder I contacted with sapim spokes for my 29er. I am a few kilos heavier than you too