mtbr member

Light lefty wheelset

Looking for ideas to build or buy a complete set of light lefty wheels for racing only. I have a brand new set of 2010 Mavic SLR Disc lefty set that I plan on selling, but know I can build/buy something lighter. My goal is to sell these and use the money to fund a lighter set. I am 136 lbs and race xc so durability typically is not an issue for me. Any suggestions?
    Highline Search Group | highlinesearch.com | LinkedIn | Outdoor & Sporting Goods Recruiters

mtbr member
    If price is not an option get the DT carbon 1.2 wheelset that comes on the top Flash. Mine weighed in at 1262g, super stiff and they can be made tubeless. Spokes are DT so if you ever have a problem you can get most parts easily through any shop. Plus they have a 90kg weight limit, so your safe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesinmud
    If price is not an option get the DT carbon 1.2 wheelset that comes on the top Flash. Mine weighed in at 1262g, super stiff and they can be made tubeless. Spokes are DT so if you ever have a problem you can get most parts easily through any shop. Plus they have a 90kg weight limit, so your safe.
    With the Stan's Podium MMX Race Wheelset you get lighter, and in my opinion much easier to seal tubeless and stays sealed for longer with no air pressure burps. Even better, the Stan's NoTubes Podium MMX Race Wheelset is a fraction of the price.

Just like other Stan's rims the Podium MMX's get the BST technology which help the bead of the tire snap into the rim between the bed of the rim, the sidewall and the bead hook. This means that because the fit is a lot tighter on the bead that it is a lot harder to burp pressure from the bead coming out of place. Because Stan's rims use this in house designed technology, you can run a lighter non-UST tire which you could do on your current SLR wheelset, but with much less success.

Quote Originally Posted by lowpsihighspeed
    Looking for ideas to build or buy a complete set of light lefty wheels for racing only. I have a brand new set of 2010 Mavic SLR Disc lefty set that I plan on selling, but know I can build/buy something lighter. My goal is to sell these and use the money to fund a lighter set. I am 136 lbs and race xc so durability typically is not an issue for me. Any suggestions?
    If you are selling the SLR's do you have a wheelset to train on? If your budget would allow for it, it would be better to train on the SLR's and race on your new race wheelset.

Bottom line, the DT Carbon's that come on the Flash would match your bike perfectly and look killer, but would cost half as much as your bike. The Podium MMX's are a great option because they are super light at about 1200g - 1210g, and are only $950. At your weight stiffness isnt as much of a problem, but for the record the DT carbon's will be stiffer because of the construction of the rim.

mtbr member

AX lightness

980g but 2.119,00 EUR
    Cannondale Rush 35th anniversary 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb
    With the Stan's Podium MMX Race Wheelset you get lighter, and in my opinion much easier to seal tubeless and stays sealed for longer with no air pressure burps. Even better, the Stan's NoTubes Podium MMX Race Wheelset is a fraction of the price.

Just like other Stan's rims the Podium MMX's get the BST technology which help the bead of the tire snap into the rim between the bed of the rim, the sidewall and the bead hook. This means that because the fit is a lot tighter on the bead that it is a lot harder to burp pressure from the bead coming out of place. Because Stan's rims use this in house designed technology, you can run a lighter non-UST tire which you could do on your current SLR wheelset, but with much less success.

If you are selling the SLR's do you have a wheelset to train on? If your budget would allow for it, it would be better to train on the SLR's and race on your new race wheelset.

Bottom line, the DT Carbon's that come on the Flash would match your bike perfectly and look killer, but would cost half as much as your bike. The Podium MMX's are a great option because they are super light at about 1200g - 1210g, and are only $950. At your weight stiffness isnt as much of a problem, but for the record the DT carbon's will be stiffer because of the construction of the rim.
    amillmtb,

Thanks for your thoughtful response. My current wheelset I am racing/training on is NoTubes Crest Rim, DT Rev and 240 rear and cdale front hub. Rear is 799 grams w/ out skewers and the front is 643 grams. My thought was if I could sell my SLR's, Schwalbe RR UST and FF UST's I could build an even lighter set. I have been real happy with the notubes rim sealing ease so the Podiums MMX's may be the right choice. Do you have any experience with the American Classic or ZTR hubs?
    Highline Search Group | highlinesearch.com | LinkedIn | Outdoor & Sporting Goods Recruiters

mtbr member
    Ya what he said, At your weight the podiums would be the ticket, and the the new AC hubs are really nice, not sure if they make a lefty front, your stuck with a C'dale, 321 or Tune. No experience with the stans rear hubs except playing with the hub itself in the shop. Yes, as mentioned before they are about a third to a quarter of the price of those DT 1.2 Carbons wheelsets I bought and in the same weight category. At 175lbs I find the DT carbons as strong as any mavic or wheelset built with 355's-->can't go any lighter than that for a proper/durable wheelset.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lowpsihighspeed
    amillmtb,

Thanks for your thoughtful response. My current wheelset I am racing/training on is NoTubes Crest Rim, DT Rev and 240 rear and cdale front hub. Rear is 799 grams w/ out skewers and the front is 643 grams. My thought was if I could sell my SLR's, Schwalbe RR UST and FF UST's I could build an even lighter set. I have been real happy with the notubes rim sealing ease so the Podiums MMX's may be the right choice. Do you have any experience with the American Classic or ZTR hubs?
    Tubeless sealing is super easy, I sealed my S-Works Captain 2.0's (not new) on my Olympic rims with a floor pump.

No long term experience with either, but I suspect that the Ringle Dirty Flea is made by the same distributer as the ZTR hub. I have had a Dirty Flea for 2 years now and and have never had any issues. Every once in a while I'll pull the freehub body off and clean and relube the pawls, but thats just a preventative measure. A good friend and co-worker has 3 sets of various ZTR wheels built with the ZTR hub, one of which is set up as a single speed which is known to put a lot of stress on a hub. He is a super powerful rider and has never had any issues with the ZTR hub, so I would say that they are a very solid choice.

The problem with the Podium MMX Race rim is that in the US you can only get it as a full race wheelset. In Europe and some other places around the globe you can buy just the rims and lace them to whatever you want. The reason is that Stan's Notubes knows that the American Classic hubs distribute the spoke tension nicely throughout the wheel and will not pull the nipple through the super light rim because of off balance tension.*

The good side is that there is a $100 rebuild program (warranty) with the race wheelset that allows you to get your Race/MMX wheelset rebuilt by Stan's for $100 a wheel which includes a new rim, new spokes and nipples. I wouldn't worry about this at your weight though. As a dealer, I have only had to send back 2 wheels, from different customers one of which was closer to the weight limit and the other crashed his pretty hard.

American Classic Hubs didnt used to be very reliable, but in the past 3 years they have gone through a transformation. The AC 225 (their only XC disc rear hub) now has an improved pawl system and steel inserts on the freehub body that cut down on the amount of wear on the freehub body which means that you wont have to replace it for a very long time. On top of being much more reliable, they are super light. All of the lightest Stan's prebuilt wheels are built with the AC hubs. I may try one for my next wheelset because of these changes that have been made.

Selling the SLR's seems like an awesome idea because you have the Crest wheelset that you can train on and the Podium MMX's that you can race on. The SLR's should be able to get a good amount of cash that will help out with the cost of the Podium MMX's.

Quote Originally Posted by bikesinmud
    Yes, as mentioned before they are about a third to a quarter of the price of those DT 1.2 Carbons wheelsets I bought and in the same weight category. At 175lbs I find the DT carbons as strong as any mavic or wheelset built with 355's-->can't go any lighter than that for a proper/durable wheelset.
    You made a great choice. If I can ever afford carbon rims, I will get them because of their far superior stiffness. If you had gotten the ZTR Podium MMX's you would feel as though you made a poor investment because they would feel flexy to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Notubes.com
    Limited warranty will cover manufacturer’s defects. The crash replacement will consist of replacing one rim, spokes and nipples for $100.00. If you are not satisfied with the ZTR Podium MMXseries rim you can have it replaced with our ZTR 355 rim.