mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Light and comfortable saddle for flash

Hi, I finally decided to build a new Cannondale Flash 29er.
    Coming from a Specialize full suspension, I think the change will be a bit drastic for me, so I am trying to make the ride as comfortable as possible and I am looking for a light but comfortable saddle.

I know there are a lot of different ones and would like to know what you guys use.
    Last edited by rcruz2525; 12-17-2012 at 10:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I was looking at:
    - Sella Italia SLR Flow
    - Fizik Tundra 2
    - S Works Toupe

Are this any good, what is better as far a confer and light weight

mtbr member
    Hey mate,

The Flash 29er is noticeably stiffer than most hard tails, let alone a squishy full-sus, but you should be alright. It's a 29er, so more comfortable than it's 26" counterpart. If I was you, I'd go to a bike shop and have a bike fit to get the right saddle. I run a Tundra 2 (which I'm going to replace), but it's too narrow for me, which means I don't really "lock in" to my bike and I get a lot of movement in my lower back, which leads to back pain. I' working on improving my flexibility, which will make it better, but it still won't be right for me. It's not like a can shrink the size of my pelvic lol!

One saddle that suites most is the Fizik Gobi. Might be worth a shot. I'd go for something that's comfy over something that's light weight if I were you. You won't notice the weight difference when you can't ride your bike because you've got back ache. Trust me, I know.
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have a Phenom, which is the MTB version of the toupe (slightly different cut), but recently switched to the Henge. I've ridden the Toupe religiously on my road bike for years, but found the rather rounded nose to be a little uncomfortable on the dirt with the Phenom. The Henge has a flatter nose, pain relief channel like the Phenom (no cut out) and I find it's a much "grippier" saddle as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    BoostN7, I agree with you on the comfort vs light.

I am going to a hard tail and have several friends of mine doing the same, one of them just built a HT Sette, he is using a Fizik Tundra 2, and after his first ride his back was hurting for 3 days. Now, I am not blaming the saddle but I am sure a comfortable saddle is a must to have.

I will look into the Fizik Gobi and the Henge.

mtbr member
    I have to stretch my back out before and after a ride, if not I pay the price.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    if your back is hurting after a ride it's more likely a set up issue - the saddle is too high in relation to the handlebar maybe. if your arse is hurting then yeah it's probably the saddle.

whatever saddle you buy, you're going to need time to get used to it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by parkincake View Post

+1
    My 2011 Scalpel C2 came std with the Prologo Nago Evo X10 CrMo - 262 gr
    It is comfortable - I like it a lot - never had any issues with it MTB.
    It is semi round, so the weight is distributed between the sit-bones and soft tissues.

I tried using it on my road bike and my private parts just got numb after a couple of hours riding...
    Not an issue with MTB as you stand on the paddles most of the time... moreover with a racy HT like the Flash.
    Flash29C2
    Scalpel 29C1
    Niner One9 SingleSpeed RDO fork
    Supersix Evo 1 Hi Mod D/A

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I hear you, that is why I want to get information on to what would be a good choice, leaning to more comfort than weight at this point.,.

Helmetless Crasher
    Selle San Marco Aspide carbon FX. 125g of beautiful sweet comfort. There are few things so light and so pretty that feel so good.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    My pics in order :

1) Specialized Henge,feels like a freaking couch from day one.
    2) Prologo Nago EVO X8
    3) Fizik Gobi XM
    4) Specialized Phenom

Honestly you can't go wrong with any Specialized saddle.
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumpy View Post
    Selle San Marco Aspide carbon FX. 125g of beautiful sweet comfort. There are few things so light and so pretty that feel so good.
    I have an issue with MTB split tail saddle design.
    Either my shorts or shirt/Jersey get stuck in it when going back from "behind the saddle crouch" position to a normal one.
    I had the old style phenom and it was an issue, so I got rid of it quickly.
    Flash29C2
    Scalpel 29C1
    Niner One9 SingleSpeed RDO fork
    Supersix Evo 1 Hi Mod D/A

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have decided to go to a bike shop to see what type of saddle is my size. I discover that I need a 155 mm, I can use a 142 but 155 would be better, I think I'm going with the specialize as they have my size and will try the Henge and see how it goes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by parkincake View Post
    if your back is hurting after a ride it's more likely a set up issue - the saddle is too high in relation to the handlebar maybe. if your arse is hurting then yeah it's probably the saddle.

I'm in desperate need of a bike fit, but I can't afford it atm with Christmas coming.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rcruz2525 View Post
    I have decided to go to a bike shop to see what type of saddle is my size. I discover that I need a 155 mm, I can use a 142 but 155 would be better, I think I'm going with the specialize as they have my size and will try the Henge and see how it goes
    You can't go wrong with an Henge. We're actually all different and a saddle that feels like a couch for me may feel like sitting on spike for others, from my experience Specialized address the problem 99% of the times
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

FIRENZE rulez !!
    in this topic you are talking about comfortable saddle.

"light" means another saddles ...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Well, I think I rather start with a comfort saddle and went I get use to the HT move to a light one

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Prologo Vertigo (most comfortable I have ever had)
    Specialized Henge
    Bontrager Evoke
    2013 C-Dale Scalpel
    2013 Scott Genius 930

mtbr member
    The SLR saddles that say 135g are actually about 7-10 grams heavier. I have two. They weigh 142 and 143. If you're trying to build a light bike, get a scale and weigh everything yourself. Don't trust manufacturers claimed weights.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

use 1 that worked before

why not use the same saddle that was on your full squish that you got rid of? of course i'm assuming you liked it. "if it aint't broke don;t fix it" unless you go to a shop that has demo saddles you could spend hundreds trying to find a saddle that's comfy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have a charge spoon on my flash 25, cheapest saddle I have bought in years and by far the comfiest I have ever had!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    For lightweight comfort...Fizik Tundra 2
    For ultimate comfort and not to heavy...Bontrager Evoke RL
    WTB's pure V and Rocket V felt good too but heavy for the weight consious.

Saddle choices can literally be a pain in the arse simply because my recommendations may be totally opposite of what you like.

Most quality bike shops have you sit on a bench to help determine which saddle best suits you "sit bones".

If you lived in VA you could try the 50 saddles i have in the basement.lol

Toro
    I loved the Prologo X8 that came with my F29. Unfortunately, my clydesdaleism and a crash broke it. I replaced it with a spare Tundra 2 that a friend had laying around. Call me crazy but I love it. It doesn't seem like it should be but it's amazingly comfortable. It is outstanding when pedaling uphill.
    Ricardo aka "El Toro"
    Team Raging Toro
    Toro Page on G+

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by leoferus View Post
    I loved the Prologo X8 that came with my F29. Unfortunately, my clydesdaleism and a crash broke it. I replaced it with a spare Tundra 2 that a friend had laying around. Call me crazy but I love it. It doesn't seem like it should be but it's amazingly comfortable. It is outstanding when pedaling uphill.

Ok...your crazy.lol
    Actually i thought the very same thing,surprisingly comfortable for a race saddle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Totally depends on the shape of your turd-cutter.

I happen to think the Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow from the 90s is the best saddle ever, for both mountain and road. However, I have Fizik Aliante on my road bike right now, which is acceptable, and Fizik Nisene on my fixie commuter. Works great.

Hail to the king, baby: