Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Lifetime warranty tested

I finally pinned down a creak on my bike today. A small crack near the top of the seat tube. What makes this case interesting is my bike is a 1992 M700. I'm the orginal owner. It was ridden very often early in its life but the last 10 years have been spent riding around the neighborhood with the kids. Until about 3 months ago that is. I started hitting the local trails again and noticed this crack this morning after truing the rear wheel.

Still under the lifetime warranty? What should I expect? Nothing on this frame is compatible with modern components. I should hear back from my local shop tomorrow.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Tony

mtbr member
    I would not not plan on getting much. That frame is 18 years and who knows how many heat cycles your frame cycled through during that time or what was weight load was placed on top of the bike while it was in the garage. I would hope for a discount on a new ride or frame. Alum does fail and 18 years is a long time for that type of metal. Cannondale would loose money and close their doors if every 18 years old frame/bike got replaced. My 2cents. If your frame was newer that would be different

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm hopeful. A good discount would be a great place to start. I've read some fantastic reports on these types of claims.

BTW airplanes are made of aluminum and undergo 120+ degree changes (it's very cold at altitude) sometimes several times a day. The 737 or MD80 you're sitting on next time you fly has most likely 10,000 or more cycles.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzaflyer
    I'm hopeful. A good discount would be a great place to start. I've read some fantastic reports on these types of claims.

BTW airplanes are made of aluminum and undergo 120+ degree changes (it's very cold at altitude) sometimes several times a day. The 737 or MD80 you're sitting on next time you fly has most likely 10,000 or more cycles.
    Yes but the plane is checked for fatigue or failure more than once in 18 years.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Keep us posted.

I am the original owner of a 1990 M1000. Everything is fine and I use it on a trainer these days, but you never know. So let's see, to get 10K "cycles" on my frame, I have to ride my bike every day for over 27 years. I only wish I had that kind of time.

I'm with you, shouldn't crack unless your beating it to death.

Best of luck with your claim.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The lifetime warrantee is why our bikes cost $2900 in todays money and not $99 at WasMart. The tech is there but we pay extra for this warrantee to the original owner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by karlmichael
    I would not not plan on getting much. That frame is 18 years and who knows how many heat cycles your frame cycled through during that time or what was weight load was placed on top of the bike while it was in the garage. I would hope for a discount on a new ride or frame. Alum does fail and 18 years is a long time for that type of metal. Cannondale would loose money and close their doors if every 18 years old frame/bike got replaced. My 2cents. If your frame was newer that would be different
    whats the point of a lifetime warranty if Cannondale isnt going to honor it? I'd say the OP is going to be nicely surprised. people on this forum have mentioned warranty'ing Super V's and Deltas and getting new model frames. the only issue will be that the components havent failed and wont work on the new frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Our airplanes have so many inspections it would make your head spin. Stressed aluminum skin works differently than a tubed aluminum bike frame that isn't meant to flex. Not apples and oranges, but close.

I'd think you might get a lower-end Cannondale out of this. One of the things that makes Cannondale so respected is their warranty.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Lifetime doesn't mean your lifetime. It means the useful lifetime of the product. Depends on how much the product has been used. If it hasn't been used much and looks new I think you should get a replacement. If it looks like an 18 year old bike, manybe its useful life is over. At best you would get a comparable replacement which in today's line would be an entry level frame. Then you would have to deal with replacing parts.

My 2 cents.

mtbr member
    I always understood "lifetime" to refer to the lifetime of the material not the owner.

In the case of an Aluminum frame IMO anything up to 10 years would be a reasonable "lifetime".

Cannondale do offer a frame replacement program, I reckon this is how they'll handle your frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    From Cannondales website: FRAMES: (frame, fork structure, swing arm): Cannondale frames (except frames for Freeride, and Dirt Jumping bikes, see below) are warranted by Cannondale Bicycle Corporation, 16 Trowbridge Drive, Bethel, CT 06801 against manufacturing defects in materials and/or workmanship for the lifetime of the original owner.
    The bike was about mid-range of the hardtails available at the time so I would think that is what they should offer now. A discount on a whole new bike may be easier for all of us. I was planning on buying a new 29er anyway.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    From Cannondales website: FRAMES: (frame, fork structure, swing arm): Cannondale frames (except frames for Freeride, and Dirt Jumping bikes, see below) are warranted by Cannondale Bicycle Corporation, 16 Trowbridge Drive, Bethel, CT 06801 against manufacturing defects in materials and/or workmanship for the lifetime of the original owner.
    The bike was about mid-range of the hardtails available at the time so I would think that is what they should offer now. A discount on a whole new bike may be easier for all of us. I was planning on buying a new 29er anyway.
    Did you register it as the original owner and do you have the original bill of sale ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I can't remember if I did. I was stationed in Germany at the time. The bill of sale was destroyed in a fire when our house burned down four years ago.

AZ
    banned
    Expect a new frame , do not expect any parts to change over .

mtbr member
    what a cheap bastard.

ok you got an 18 year old bike it finally broke and now your nitpicking about a warranty?

do you think those canti brakes are gonna swap over? what fork are you gonna use the old p-bone headshock?

are you really that friggin' cheap?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Cheap bastard? Wow, a little harsh there. If his bike has a lifetime warranty why shouldn't it be honored without him being "cheap"? Good grief.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Maybe I need to restate what I said. Cannondale will or should stand behind the bike as long as you own it. But the bike also has a life. If the bike still has life in it, you deserve a new frame as long as you own it. However, if its been used-up with no life left you have a frame that you can trade in. I think this is where people get confused. A sales rep will have to make that determination.

Good luck and I hope you get a new frame or a discount for a new bike. By the way I have a mid 90s Cannondale, but considering how much use I got out of it I wouldn't expect a replacement if it broke.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Imagine the respect we would all have for companies if they all did that. I dont care to buy the same products over and over again to employ slaves in sweathouses over seas and give big bonuses to greedy execs here. I like higher end goods-the producs DO reflect their cost of production.

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000
    what a cheap bastard.

ok you got an 18 year old bike it finally broke and now your nitpicking about a warranty?

do you think those canti brakes are gonna swap over? what fork are you gonna use the old p-bone headshock?

M2000 actually doesn't have a headshok or P-Bone fork but a rigid Pepperoni fork.......
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I can't remember if I did. I was stationed in Germany at the time. The bill of sale was destroyed in a fire when our house burned down four years ago.
    I think you will have to be able to prove you are the original owner.

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000
    what a cheap bastard.

HAL, you're going soft. Tell us what you really think...

When I read "lifetime" I tend to think in terms of the practical lifetime of the company offering the service.

OP, in reality if you do get a new frame out of it, it will likely cost you as much, if not more to spec all the components you will need individually as buying a similar spec'ed bike.

Perhaps discount off of a new Cannondale would be a more helpful scenario, unless of course you have another 5 year old bike kicking around that could use a frame re-fresh.
    2x10
    '12 Niner Jet RDO 22.9 lb
    1x1
    '09 Cannondale F29er 1 20.1 lb
    '10 Sanderson Soloist 23.8 lb
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    They will probably offer you the lowest end hardtail frame as a replacement. That is what they have done in the past.

Or.....

They will offer you a discount on a new frame/fork combo

Either way its a good deal.

The best lifetime warranty deals are the sweet spot, about 3-4 years after you purchase the original bike. That way your old parts still transfer over and the new parts required are minimal.

Music & Bikes
    If you have the original receipt , there shouldn't be any problems.

If you don't have it (burnt down you said?) , forget it.
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by fokof
    If you have the original receipt , there shouldn't be any problems.

If you don't have it (burnt down you said?) , forget it.
    Unless of course they mailed in the registration card. Otherwise I agree.
    2x10
    '12 Niner Jet RDO 22.9 lb
    1x1
    '09 Cannondale F29er 1 20.1 lb
    '10 Sanderson Soloist 23.8 lb
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NS2000X
    Unless of course they mailed in the registration card. Otherwise I agree.
    ummm base on "warranty claim experience", they will ask for proof of purchase (receipt), Check the original store for proof of purchase/ records if you dont have the receipt. I would say you are out of luck if you dont have those docs .

makes me think...I have a Jekyll purchased new in 2001 (yes, Im the original owner) and wonder if I can claim it under warranty replacement for a 2011 jekyll

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast