mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Lefty XLR - this one is a real head scratcher

I spent close to an hour reading and rereading a lot of Lefty mechanical threads here, and didn't see reports of anything similar to what I saw on my Lefty today.

So the fork has been working fine. I have full travel, seems more or less as plush as it should be, no strange noises... maybe just the rare and ever slightest bit of knocking I felt when pulling up real hard on the handle to do wheel lifts, nothing that concerned me.

I decided it was time to lift the boot, clean and re-lube. I wish I had taken a picture, but I'll describe what I saw: There are four metal strips that are the inner races, correct? With the boot lifted all the way up, the bottom of these races is visible, approximately 2-3 inches sticking out the outer tube shell.

One of these races had migrated all the way out close to where the lower boot collar sits. It wasn't loose or anything. In fact, I couldn't push or pull in and out with hand. It seemed to be just stuck in place there. I was scratching my head how the hell this could have happened, and how is it that something drastic hasn't affected the travel (what is the needle bearing riding on if this inner race is all the way out here?)

Anyways, the smartest (or dumbest) thing I could think of was to nudge it up back into place. I just lightly hammered the end of the race, and it moved millimeter by millimeter close to where it should be. Not exactly though, the last 5mm bit was awkward to hammer in, and I stopped to avoid making this worse by deforming the race.

The fork is still under warranty, but honestly I would like to avoid the hassle and the downtime of having to get it to Cannondale. I have also moved to another province, and every local Cannondale charges $50 fee to do warranty work on bikes not from their store.

I was going to ignore this, unless someone can explain if this thing has really become f--ed? Any ideas? What tests can I do to make sure the performance as it should be and there are no red flags? As mentioned, the fork seems to be working exactly as it should be.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Get it fixed.

One of the inner races didn't get captured by the race clip, or clip clip.

Keep riding it, and it will get worse, start to feel loose, chew up bearings, get looser still.....

Without a Castle tool, and a good chunk of understanding, this isn't a DIY thing. Do it now before the season is really underway.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Get it fixed.

One of the inner races didn't get captured by the race clip, or clip clip.

Keep riding it, and it will get worse, start to feel loose, chew up bearings, get looser still.....

Without a Castle tool, and a good chunk of understanding, this isn't a DIY thing. Do it now before the season is really underway.
    You are right that would be the smartest thing to do...

Unfortunately the race season is well underway over here, one every couple of weeks starting this week.

Seems like the choices are: 1) risk riding it until end of summer as is, fingers crossed it will last, and probably a $500 bill to fix it by the end of the season or 2) spend $100-200 now and get it fixed now, don't race or train for 1-2 weeks.

A pick between worse option and the worse option.

Funny enough, I think it has been like this for the past 10 months. I suspect the LBS I bought it from is the one that f--ed it up like this, and not the hard riding. When I just bought the bike, it only had 80mm of travel. The shop "fixed" it for me, but i'm pretty sure the guy that did it was learning on the job. He must have not properly secured that one race with the clips. I say this because I can tell you that the race is not going to slip by itself as it is now, it is in there tight as hell... what I think is holding it are the tight fit the other 3 races are providing.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Ride another bike for training.

When it does fail, you will not be any happier than you will be riding a beater for a few weeks now.....

It will get worse, quickly. Whether that means two rides or 10, I can't say, but it's on it's way to Crapoutville as we speak.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Got it, thanks for the sage advice. It did convince me to search hard all over town for someone that knows how to open it up and look at it.

My warranty, as it turns out, ran out on March 3rd... hopefully Cannondale pulls through and covers the warranty even though it is a few days past.

mtbr member
    If the warranty falls-through, send it to Mendelson Cyclesmith. Craigs turnaround is blazingly fast.
    "We will call you Cygnus, the god of balance you shall be."

mtbr member
    Spelling mistake: Mendon Cyclesmith.

I sent mine, was checking the tracking number to see if it arrived there, and it was already on its way back to me.

BTW this new format sucks.
    "We will call you Cygnus, the god of balance you shall be."