mtbr member
    Dec 2013

LEFTY XLR 100 not returning to full travel

Hi,

I am new to the forum, so apologies in advance, I am trying to post this in the right area. I hope that it has not been covered before.

I recently bought a 2013 Scalpel 2 here in Aus no more than a month ago. So far cycled to and from work no more than 5 or 6 times (16km round trip) and noticed that the travel in the front fork had decreased. On arriving home a quick measure revealed only 5 cm of travel left at the front. It was compressing but not returning, (this was with zero weight across the frame)

I was however able to pull the wheel away from the handlebar with little force and return the travel back to its claimed 100mm (it felt like it was sticking)

I have taken the lefty to a service engineer who replaced a part in the bottom of the damping cartridge KH088 saying it was faulty and that he had seen it once or twice before. BUT. It is now less than week later and it is doing the same thing. I am pretty pissed off, spending all this money only for this to occur. I have hardly ridden the thing!!!

I suppose my question is: Has anybody else had this problem with their lefty, a gradual compression with no rebound?
    And if they have what was the remedy?

A very very disappointed cannondale owner.

Stu.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Sounds like a decrease in air volume or as simple as a bearing reset.

Had a Lefty DLR that had a leaking valve core which can be fixed for a few dollars and a couple of minutes . Any hardware store will have valve cores and a core wrench.

A bearing reset is something else that you can do in a couple of minutes, search this site for a easy to follow diagram... " the lefty bearing reset thread " .