mtbr member

Lefty XC3 OPI SI Stem/Steerer Install

I recently upgraded my Cannondale to a Lefty fork, which I love. However, I went with the XC3 OPI SI stem/steerer combo, and this setup has been giving me a slight problem.

Before each ride I ensure the stem/steerer are tight, but during the first half mile or so of my ride the steerer is backing out of the the stem a small amount. This causes the setup to loosen up and the bearings to not sit snug in the bearing cups, resulting in a small amount of movement of the steerer/stem and bearings in the bearing cups.

Has anyone else experienced this type of problem, and/or have a suggestion of how I can keep the steerer from backing out of the stem? I have included a picture of the setup so you can see which stem/steerer tube I am speaking of. Thanks!

***edit: found an old thread suggesting the use of Copperslip on the threads. I will try this and see how it works.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mevadus; 04-04-2012 at 08:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    There is no way for the steerer tube to be unthreading if your Lefty clamp bolts are correctly torqued.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Centaur172 View Post
    There is no way for the steerer tube to be unthreading if your Lefty clamp bolts are correctly torqued.
    Please see the link below for further discussion by others who have also had this problem. Yes, the steerer-tube does back out even if you have the clamp bolts torqued correctly.

New OPI stem driving me nuts.

mtbr member
    Main reason Im keeping my current OC3 set up .
    Minimal weight adavantage although I do like the OPI's Shimano BB tool
    use to tighten it vs the allen key for the OC3's .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy View Post
    Main reason Im keeping my current OC3 set up .
    Minimal weight adavantage although I do like the OPI's Shimano BB tool
    use to tighten it vs the allen key for the OC3's .
    Yea, I would keep it. I just purchased the XC3 SI myself, and after I install it the OPI is going on eBay.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Mine has done that 2x now on my Scalpel 2 29er. Both times we took the stem apart, cleaned/greased it and put it back together. In my opinion its water/dirt thats getting up the bottom of the stem. I had tons of mud in there.

And not only that but it seems water/mud/dirt is getting into the frame itself from the silly hole. Everytime I do creek crossings or ride in wet I have to turn the frame upside down and pour water out the seatpost.

So im looking to cap the hole off, found one cap made for it but the guy is in germany. Still looking for one.

Doesnt take long for water to break down the grease and make that thing creek and pop so loud you think the frame just cracked. Its nuts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zeeke View Post
    Mine has done that 2x now on my Scalpel 2 29er. Both times we took the stem apart, cleaned/greased it and put it back together. In my opinion its water/dirt thats getting up the bottom of the stem. I had tons of mud in there.

And not only that but it seems water/mud/dirt is getting into the frame itself from the silly hole. Everytime I do creek crossings or ride in wet I have to turn the frame upside down and pour water out the seatpost.

So im looking to cap the hole off, found one cap made for it but the guy is in germany. Still looking for one.

Doesnt take long for water to break down the grease and make that thing creek and pop so loud you think the frame just cracked. Its nuts.
    You might actually be on to something .

I have noticed watery-mud/grease seeping out from around the QMI seal/bearing at the top of the head-tube after I get home and start looking at how much everything loosened up during the days ride.

You should think about contacting Cannondale and talking to them about your experience. Maybe they will come up with a decent solution, like a rubber washer between the stem and steerer-tube that will prevent water from getting up in there.

In the meantime, since my new stem and steerer-tube won't be here until Monday and I plan to ride all weekend, maybe I will go and find some marine bearing grease to experiment with.

Thanks!!!

***edit

and out of curiosity, were you speaking of this cap?

bottomcap Stem OPI XC3 2011 - Dr. Cannondale
    Last edited by mevadus; 04-06-2012 at 11:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Well, the marine bearing grease worked great so far this weekend. Not only does it seem much thicker and better at covering the threads than the bicycle grease I used before, but it was also cheaper for a larger quantity. Guess we'll have to wait and see how long it lasts for...