mtbr member

Lefty wheel washer?

I just upgraded my lefty wheel from the old CODA 4 bolt disc hub to a new OMEGA 6 bolt disc hub.

Question is: Should there be a washer that goes between the hub bearing and the Lefty axle when I'm putting the front wheel on? Because right now, the wheels are torqued at the recommended setting and it doesn't spin as freely as it should, it feels like as if the front break is constantly engaged.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    the washer comes with it and its to protect the bearing from dust. but when you add it the wheel does not move like freely. I try adding some lube to it. but did not help. I gave up and I took it off. and now it spins freely....

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    The grey seal is there to keep dirt from packing into the bearing on that side. Not required, but it's most likely not the issue. Newer hubs (read, yours) have an O ring seal on the bolt that keeps it on the axle. With a green pin spanner, remove the black cap from the hub, NOTE: it's reverse thread. You'll see the O ring, take it off if you like, or lube it, should take care of the issue.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Thanks! I'll give it a shot.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    The grey seal is there to keep dirt from packing into the bearing on that side. Not required, but it's most likely not the issue. Newer hubs (read, yours) have an O ring seal on the bolt that keeps it on the axle. With a green pin spanner, remove the black cap from the hub, NOTE: it's reverse thread. You'll see the O ring, take it off if you like, or lube it, should take care of the issue.
    Yea, I took mine off. There needs to be a better way of protecting the outer bearing.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    There needs to be a better way of protecting the outer bearing.
    Pointless to worry about in my book. They are a new addition to the cap assembly, and I can't think that I've replaced more than a handful, since Leftys came out. Inners, yeah, they take a beating, but even then, I only replace maybe 2 a year in the shop.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com