mtbr member
    Aug 2006

lefty wheel bearing

Just gave my front wheel a spin and noticed it was spinning so well. Thought it might just be pad drag but after removing the the front wheel it turned out to be the inner bearing barely turns. The bike was new in the spring. Is there any maintenance I can do to fix this bearing or is replacement my only option?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    sometimes I try to regrease the bearings, by just carefully taking away the outer protective shields of the bearings, degreasing the bearing and checking if it runs better ( if it doesn't it's remplacement time ) otherwise I regrease it and carefully put back the protective shield...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks for the tip. Any advice on removing the bearing and shield?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    hmmm to remove some of the bearings you ll need special tools, I normally gently tap them out, but if unlucky you damage the bearing on removal and have to replace it anyway. The shield I remove by using the smallest flat screwdriver I can find, about 1mm, U can pry it in between the outer bearing race ande the shield end gently force the shield out... most of the times though, it's easier and faster just to replace them. normally they are standard industrial bearings, easy to find...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Take it to the LBS. A bearing is only 20 bucks and they should have the tools

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    The outer bearing was a little rough so I popped them both out. Very easy to do based on info in an older thread. My LBS (where I got the bike) could have the bearings in 10 - 12 days. I found them at a local bearing supplier.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    ...I do have a question on installing the new bearings though. Should I apply a light coat of grease or press them in dry?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    what I mostly do is put the bearings a couple of hours in the freezer, this will shrink them a tiny bit and will make them easier to press in...