mtbr member
    May 2006

lefty vs ultra fatty bike weight?

Just wondering since the ultra is a pound lighter than the lefty it seems that the caffeine 3 would be lighter than the 2. True or not. either way I rode the 3 the other day and it is one fun bike. Also, does anyone know when cannondale will releases the 2008's? if the US. models are the same as the pictures posted on the uk websites. Is it worth the wait...

LA CHÈVRE
    Depends which Lefty you are looking at, the Speed SL is lighter than the Headshok. But the whole bike's weight depends on much more than the Lefty or Headshok, wheels, cranks, everything makes a difference.

As for the release of 2008 bikes, it's really model dependent. There may be a few early release models later this summer but usually, most of the range starts to appear in shops in the fall to early winter period.

European models and American models usually have different specs. In America, we get more Lefties and Headshok, less Jell-O two-legged forks. Other components can change too.

Now is it worth the wait? I can't answer that for you, if you want a bike now, don't wait, they are excellent bikes. Some will prefer to wait and take the gamble there will be 07 bikes left with discounts, others wait for new models but some prefer buying bikes that are not in their first year of production since new models have more chances to have some early production bugs. I never had such issues on a Cannondale and I always bought first year models. For hardtail, it's not too risky, I'm not sure they will be changed for 2008 (don't think so) and Cannondale knows how to make bug-free alloy hardtails...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :