Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Lefty vs traditional

Are there any real fuunctional advantages of a lefty in comparison with the traditional shock except lefty's appealing look? I like its look because it is defferent but can that justify the only reason to pass to that kind of suspension? Besides, reading that forum convinces me about numerous issues with lefties.

mtbr member
    Yep, do a search on this forum to find more info. Stiffer, lighter, no stiction.

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba74 View Post
    Yep, do a search on this forum to find more info. Stiffer, lighter, no stiction.
    Poor compression settings, bearing migration, constant maintenance, most LBS cant/ wont do any work on them. Have to mail them away to get rebuilt. Pain in the butt to use on a normal rack where the front wheel has to come off, same with putting in car, was easier to take rear wheel off. Whats not to love? I loved mine so much that I had to share it with someone else for a small relocation fee.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Poor compression settings, bearing migration, constant maintenance, most LBS cant/ wont do any work on them. Have to mail them away to get rebuilt. Pain in the butt to use on a normal rack where the front wheel has to come off, same with putting in car, was easier to take rear wheel off. Whats not to love? I loved mine so much that I had to share it with someone else for a small relocation fee.
    Many newer forks have a 15mm or 20mm thru axle so "normal" racks are usually big mouths. Constant maintenance is not true at all for my lefty max 140. TPC has good compression adjustments. Rebuilding is not hard, and I've only had to do it twice in 5 years. Maintenance is about 30 minutes worth every couple of weeks....cmon

He asked about advantages on a Cannondale forum. I gave him advantages that are true for every lefty available. You listed problems specific to your lefty, and you didn't even say WHICH lefty you had

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Gotta love a high quality hater.....
    Last edited by MendonCycleSmith; 07-30-2011 at 10:25 AM.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

I'm with stupid
    Opps did I say the lefty had problem in a cannondale forum? Time to get all upset and offended?. Its ok, I TRIED to like mine to. I agree that most new forks have 20mm or 15mm axles but I DONT need to take my front brake off to use a fork up. I had a 2009 PBR just FYI since for some reason that matters to you, If you search the forum you notice that the compression settings such as fork dive and no low speed compression or adding to much air to compensate caused a loss in travel.
    30 mins every week (i ride 5 to 6 days a week) is a bit over the top for "normal" maintenance. They dont ask you to pull the hub apart every other week, or bottom bracket, or headset or bleed brakes or service the bearings or pull the rear shock apart and beat on it to get it back to the length that it came from the factory at, or take your tires off just to look at the inside to make sure that they are still black. So with that said the lefty would require MORE attention that ANYTHING else on the bike.
    I understand your a lefty fan boy and reading antilefty things in this forum gets you all worked up, but he did ask for advantages and so I gave him a few. Some people just like things having to be harder then they need to be. So maybe he liked working on his bike all the time the lefty would be a great match for him on a gt i-drive bike, then he can do bearing on both the fork and the back every few rides.Hopefully I have cleared up what i posted but for some reason I have a feeling you are going to reply to defend the honor of the lefty add some more eye rolling smilies, imply that i never had a lefty, tell me that i should enjoy taking time to fix my fork all the time and then throw a.....cmon like i dont have anything better to do then sit in my garage and work on my bike. All of these i will ignore, have a great day, enjoy your lefty I will be out riding while your greasing bearing and beating on your fork.

I'm with stupid

Really?? From a shop?? Good PR there.

Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Gota love a high quality hater.....
    You sir are correct, How many do you have waiting to be fixed? or have fixed? If i was the leading lefty fixer in the nation then i also would want more people to buy "quality". I dont blame you. Its all good we all need to keep the lights on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Well.. I've been riding Lefty's since they came out and have NEVER had a problem with ANY of them. I've had several of the original DLR's, DLR2 alloy, DLR2 Carbon, MAX 140 alloy, MAX 140 TPC, MAX 140 SPV, MAX 140 SPV Carbon, MAX 140 PBR alloy, DLR2 Alloy PBR, and I just bought an Ultra 120 PBR alloy that should be here Tueday. I've done nothing more than ocassional bearing resets and race cleaning/greasing. For me, I love Leftys.. for the redneck.. I think he made the right choice in not riding them. Lisaped- give one a try- if you don't like it sell it and enjoy the fact that you made up your own mind based upon personal experiences and not the opinions of someone who obviously has had nothing but negative experiences with them.
    Last edited by vitaccop; 07-30-2011 at 09:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I love my Lefty for general "All-Mountain" riding. Resetting the bearings takes all of 3 minutes, and that's the only "regular" maintenance I perform. My Max140 has held up extremely well to hard Tahoe riding.

That being said, it is certainly not a FR or DH shock. It has its place, just like everything else available. If you're into taking big hits, I would definitely NOT recommend a Lefty. If you're on the XC side of All-Mountain, I certainly think it's a worthwhile consideration.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Take it to your local suspension service shop? The guys at my local shop love the Lefty. Forget the bike shop. Bike shops don't know diddly squat about Lefties.

ballbuster

Man, that's cold

You sir are correct, How many do you have waiting to be fixed? or have fixed? If i was the leading lefty fixer in the nation then i also would want more people to buy "quality". I dont blame you. Its all good we all need to keep the lights on.
    Accusing the top Lefty guy in the country of encouraging people to buy Leftys to pad his bottom line.

I can tell you first hand, Mendon does excellent work, and from what he charged me vs. the amount of work he's done for me, he's not getting rich off the deal.

I'm not saying you are flat out wrong in your assessment, but the point I would make to you is that the Porsche needs more maintenance than the Toyota, and is harder to find a good dealer to work on them. And really, I've had as many issues with my Lefty as I've had with my Rebas. I have a Reba that I've completely replaced the seals on, but it still sags down over the course of a ride. I think a coil conversion is in its future.

But... the maintenance isn't bad. The benefits greatly outweigh the headaches, IMO. The things just feel like buttah.

IMO, Leftys are not for the rider with no mechanical skills, or ignores his bike until something breaks. I know a guy who brings his bike to the LBS to get air put in his shocks because he can't figure out how to do it himself. He's not the guy who should buy a Lefty.

The regular maintenance is pretty easy to do, and you have to remember to do it, or bad things will happen.

Music & Bikes
    I loved mine so much that I had to share it with someone else for a small relocation fee.

That's a good one !!!!!
    I think it's gonna go as my signature !!
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

No good in rock gardens..
    I'm sad to say that I've been underwhelmed by mine. Yeah, it felt OK, nothing special and TBH I can take or leave the looks.

Things I liked: It is stiff. Is it any stiffer than a 15mm or 20mm thru axle fork of comparable weight? I dunno. Does the extra stiffness make a huge difference with a softly inflated 2.25 tyre wallowing around underneath? I'm not sure.

Can change front tyre without pulling wheel off.

I actually like fork boots as they keep crap away from the seals.

People stare and ask questions.

What I don't like: No external compression adjustment (Lefty DLR Speed 110)

Proprietary hub means no swapping wheelsets around unless the front hub matches.

Left stem - much harder and more expensive to change stems.

Not a very smooth fork compared to most others I've used.

Mine crapped itself after 14 months. Yep, two months outside warranty. Lockout stopped working, rebound stopped working.

Getting it fixed - I'm in Australia and mine was away for five weeks and came back with less small bump sensitivity and a slight "knock" at the top when locked out. So it seems it got sent away to an "expert technician" who wasn't an "expert."

Would I have another one? Not on your life. I'd compare Lefty ownership to having a very attractive girlfriend - looks great, people stare and some envy but you are the sucker that has to put up with it's crap behind the scenes. And she doesn't perform any better than a "girl next door" anyway.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    this is the best fork ever (stiffer and lighter), but at the same time this is the most problematic fork ever. Be prepared to spend more time for maintenance.

Also, for me a disadvantage is that once you are with Lefty you become a "hostage" of cannondale, I mean you have lefty specific wheels, that you can use only on it... and switching to another brand is very hard/expensive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Would all the haters feel better if I said that everytime someone rides a bike with a Lefty God kills a kitten?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have Lefty CARBON MAX PBR 130 mm. it feels pretty stiff and very smooth, eats up every small bump. Also the bearings have more life in it than bushings. You dont have to worry about cashima coating or what have you and clean it after every ride.
    What I dont like is its diving a little bit over a hard breaking or on steepy slopes. maybe it's no longer a problem for 2010 lefties and hereafter.
    I also had two of the bearings migrated and none of the standard proceedure did help. The lenght dropped from 720mm recommended to 675mm. So I decided to pull it apart for myself (as Sideknob I dont have any secvice around). All I can say if you have some mechanical skills and some tools you can do it yourself. It's not that ease as with traditional forks, but you can make it at home and save some bucks and time.

No good in rock gardens..
    Quote Originally Posted by vitaccop View Post
    Would all the haters feel better if I said that everytime someone rides a bike with a Lefty God kills a kitten?
    Well the OP asked for opinions.

Not just positive ones....
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    lisaped ,
    you can also check out this thread Lefty vs bushings' forks

Ridin' dirty!
    Well, compared to other forks I've had the lefty is far superior and much, much stiffer....not to mention the weight reduction (if it's mounted to a cdale frame that is).
    Maintenance is not really a concern unless you ride a lot in the rain, cross creeks or ride really tight singletracks/switchback with thorn bushes which might tear up the boot.
    With the right tools an oil change takes less than 30min. and for an complete overhaul every 2 years or so you can simply send the cartridge or entire strut to places like Mendoncyclesmith which will not cost you that much either with a turn around time of maybe a week...
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

Music & Bikes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WlRqcAQr2w

Thanx Fudja , convincing video in this thread
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I have been riding my carbon lefty speed 110 for 2 years now, running it XC and XC races. I like it because it is light, and stiff. In terms of suspension performance I have been pretty happy with it. The small bump compliance is excellent IMO, and it takes larger bumps well. Another good point is it does dive on tight corners like some other forks I have tried.

The key for me was to find the right air pressure, through trial and error. For me just setting the sag while seated does not cut it. I would set the air pressure a little higher than the suggested sag and then adjust it until I was happy with the small bump compliance on the trail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    My two cents on the thread: I loved my lefty max carbon 140 from a 2005 Cannondale Prophet (God Rest Its Soul) that I moved it to my 2009 Titus Motolite (XTR build) and scrapped the 15mm axle Fox Float R (140 mm travel also). No comparison. The lefty is lighter, stiffer, smoother, quieter and off course cooler. Where I point it, it simply goes and sticks the line. Especially off-camber. Awesome. And yes, a similar wheel set (819/Omega for lefty vs 719/XT for the Fox) was used so a fair comparison is being made here. I had my doubts it would be better. But its so clearly better that I wonder why such a discussion even comes up beteween such serious bike folks as you find on this forum as to which is better - for general purpose trail riding. If a 2005 lefty works this good (courtesy of only 2 Mendoncycle rebuilds over the last 6 years, thanks Craig you the man), I imagine the latest versions must really be impressive.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Sheesh....

I love a good debate, spirited input, the good, the bad, etc.

What I don't enjoy is an opinion delivered in such a vituperative manner that it renders the point of it's existence, irrelevant.

You'll note I take no issues with others postings here, and I'd only say to the folks who have a problem with the proprietary hub, if all your bikes had Leftys, you could swap wheels quite easily!

You had a bad experience, bummer. Sounds like you're better off with a fork that doesn't require any upkeep at all. All good, buy a Fox, and enjoy that "legendary" sticky and less than promised/advertised travel. All for about the same coin as a Lefty.

Also, fixed is a relative term. Serviced? Many, some are more than 10 years old and still going strong. Others are newer, and in for the oil change they need, just like any other brand. Sure, some are broken, but try to get your non sliding frozen up dual slider good as new for $60 in parts, ain't gonna happen.

Had a Fox in last week, with gouged up stanchions, a Rock Shox that did the same thing. Had a Manitou puke oil all over itself, a Rock Shox lose it's lockout, had a Marzocchi lose the ability to hold air, my own White Brothers Fluid 150 needed seals last winter and a new bolt since the hollow alloy one snapped as it was being removed, the list goes on. As a buddy of mine says, everything goes away, get used to it.

And if I'm trying to keep the lights on with Leftys? I guess PUSH Industries, Hippie Tech, Garage Works, Shockspital, QBP's Shock Treatment Center etc etc etc, as well as all the service centers at the makers themselves, must be sitting around, so sad and poor from lack of work.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Advantages as many above have noted, lighter, stiffer, works better,etc. what is not to like you may ask?

In my view, it is the ignorance by those who either have not tried one or do not understand the technology.

I have ridden with people who are so put off by the look that they were afraid to even test ride it, fearing it might break or pull wildly to one side etc.

As Mendon noted and I will second, high performance assemblies require certain maintenence and service, this should not come as news.
    Last edited by ASI CA; 08-01-2011 at 11:40 AM.
    Forks are for eating, Lefty's are for racing,

mtbr member
    I understand your a lefty fan boy and reading antilefty things in this forum gets you all worked up, but he did ask for advantages and so I gave him a few. Some people just like things having to be harder then they need to be. So maybe he liked working on his bike all the time the lefty would be a great match for him on a gt i-drive bike, then he can do bearing on both the fork and the back every few rides.Hopefully I have cleared up what i posted but for some reason I have a feeling you are going to reply to defend the honor of the lefty add some more eye rolling smilies, imply that i never had a lefty, tell me that i should enjoy taking time to fix my fork all the time and then throw a.....cmon like i dont have anything better to do then sit in my garage and work on my bike. All of these i will ignore, have a great day, enjoy your lefty I will be out riding while your greasing bearing and beating on your fork.
    First off, I'm not a lefty fanboy. My next bike will most likely not have a lefty on it because I'm looking at other brands.

Second, I was pointing out that you did nothing to answer the OP's question,

Quote Originally Posted by lisaped View Post
    Are there any real fuunctional advantages of a lefty in comparison with the traditional shock except lefty's appealing look?
    All you did was sarcastically state your own negative experiences. All I did was counter all of your experiences with my own.

Again, since you like them so much.........and I'll add a little for not reading the OP's post.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast