Thread: Lefty v. Fox

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Lefty v. Fox

I'm looking at making the jump from my '01 Sworks FSR w/Fox RLC 100 up front to either a YBB, Turner Nitrous, Titus Racer X, or the C'Dale Scalpe (probably '07 given the price).

I'm at a bit of a disadvantage right now as I can't test ride any of these butes (I seperated my shoulder testing the YBB and it's being reattached this Friday).

What I'm wondering from the peanut gallery is how steady is the Lefty (I'll be looking at the very light one 2.7 lbs) compared to the Fox I've been running? Will it track relatively straight in rocky down hill or will it hop all over the place? Any insight appreciated.

Also, any insight beyond the performance of the Lefty would be appreciated as well.

LA CHÈVRE
    The Lefty is super laterally and longitudinally stiff so it tracks with better precision than most others. There is nothing that steers as precisely than Lefties. There is nothing better IMO.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    The Lefty is super laterally and longitudinally stiff so it tracks with better precision than most others. There is nothing that steers as precisely than Lefties. There is nothing better IMO.
    Thanks Danger.

mtbr member
    I've owned a Cannondale Prophet with a Lefty Max SPV for the past two years. A couple weeks ago I rented a Specilized Stumpjumper FSR Expert in Brevard, NC. I got about 8 hours of riding time on it. Overall, it might climb better than my Prophet (the tires were lower profile, narrower and harder) but didn't descend as well. It didn't soak up big fast bumps as well and had a strong tendancy to unload the rear over every bump (which is great if you want to jump everything but if you want to stay planted over rollers it is very difficult if not impossible). The Fox Talus was plush as slow speeds but when things got big and fast it was in over its head.

See my complete review and trip report here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Since you're talking of the Carbon SL Lefty I'll give you my opinion as that's what I have on my Rush right now. I'm 6' tall and I'm right at 185lb riding gear included and the fork is ok at my weight, I can feel some flex on it but nothing too bad. You have to understand that we're talking about a fork that's lighter than anything else in its travel range. That said, the fork is stiffer than any other fork of the same weight.

If you're over 200lb I'd reccomend getting the new Carbon Lefty Fox RLC, it's a bit heavier but it should be stiffer. In the end it depends on what you whant to do with it, the fork is excellent for XC riding/racing and it's smooth like butter, I'm really impressed with it so far but I don't jump anything bigger than 1-2 ft tall, and I don't think you'd do that on a race bike like the ones you mention anyway.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jiar577
    Since you're talking of the Carbon SL Lefty I'll give you my opinion as that's what I have on my Rush right now. I'm 6' tall and I'm right at 185lb riding gear included and the fork is ok at my weight, I can feel some flex on it but nothing too bad. You have to understand that we're talking about a fork that's lighter than anything else in its travel range. That said, the fork is stiffer than any other fork of the same weight.

If you're over 200lb I'd reccomend getting the new Carbon Lefty Fox RLC, it's a bit heavier but it should be stiffer. In the end it depends on what you whant to do with it, the fork is excellent for XC riding/racing and it's smooth like butter, I'm really impressed with it so far but I don't jump anything bigger than 1-2 ft tall, and I don't think you'd do that on a race bike like the ones you mention anyway.
    Thanks! I'm about 150 naked and probably 165-170 loaded. I don't jump off anything greater than a foot or two (I still remember the days when dealers standard line was jumping off ANYTHING was verboten), and that very rarely. I mostly just bomb down/grind up singletrack/fire/mining roads in the Rockies and tear up Moab once a year.