Thread: lefty titanium

mtbr member

lefty titanium

hi, i just bought a used 2003 scalpel, which has a lefty titanium. i can't find any information about this lefty - is it a DLR or does it have any other names. what does the titanium mean?
    is it oil/air or spring operated?
    thanks
    fritz

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by fritzlovesmary
    hi, i just bought a used 2003 scalpel, which has a lefty titanium. i can't find any information about this lefty - is it a DLR or does it have any other names. what does the titanium mean?
    is it oil/air or spring operated?
    thanks
    fritz
    It's a DLR, but not a DLR2 (the modern version). Titanium separates it from the previous version of DLR which had a steel lower axle mounting area, whereas your's is Titanium. It is air/oil, and the filler is at the bottom of the leg, under a black rubber cover. Have fun!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    thanks for your answer mendon. i think it is running a bit rough and just opened the top by unscrewing the big "nut" underneath the lock-out lever. i can look inside to where the "bolt" is that does the lock-out when turned. how can i get the bolt and the part underneath open/out?
    thanks
    fritz

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by fritzlovesmary
    how can i get the bolt and the part underneath open/out?

No can do. You'll need several DLR specific tools. That generation of Lefty, and all since, have required various special tools to get into them. They have gotten a bit simpler, and there are a few procedures that need to be done with some regularity, such as resetting bearing migration, that have been simplified to allow the customer to DIY with a few basic tools. If it's feeling rough, it most likely needs service. Try your local Cannondale dealer first, as it will be the quickest for you. More often than not though, they don't do them in house, and send them to Cannondale which can take a few weeks, and cost a fair bit. Not a bad thing, but Cannondale does not really support the older forks, so you may end up with an unfixed fork. There are a few independant service centers, such as myself that can help in the US ( not sure of others, but I know they exist), in Europe, 88+ is a good one too.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

LA CHÈVRE
    They should have called the Lefty Titanium the Left-Ti...
    Sorry, nothing more to add to what Mendon said.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Are you talking to me?

I have something to add.....

Send it to Mendon. Shorter wait, better service.
    gfy