mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Lefty Terralogic Question

Hi All,

I recently bought a scalpel with a used terralogic lefty off of ebay and the inertia valve does not seem to work. The seller swears it works, but it does not. I saw on a previous thread that some sent one back to C-dale and had the inertia valve rebuilt for 175 bucks. Is there anything I can try which might fix the problem short of sending it in and shelling out the dough?

Thanks,

Jasen

mtbr member
    It is possible to rebuild these. I have done one, but I am not in the business of building them for others. I do not suggest working on them your self. I remember a long time ago Mendon mentioned having a set of internals for one these. I'm sure he'll see this thread and when he does you can maybe send him a PM and work something out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Jasen,

I had my Terralogic rebuilt with the older platform that locks up until a bump threshold was met. Truthfully I would leave it with what you have, the way mine is now its locked all the time so its not really active all the time.

You can call Ted at Cannondale tech support and see what they will charge you to have it replaced. Let us know how you make out.

-matt

Quote Originally Posted by jsmatyas
    Hi All,

I recently bought a scalpel with a used terralogic lefty off of ebay and the inertia valve does not seem to work. The seller swears it works, but it does not. I saw on a previous thread that some sent one back to C-dale and had the inertia valve rebuilt for 175 bucks. Is there anything I can try which might fix the problem short of sending it in and shelling out the dough?

Thanks,

Jasen

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I was the one who sent it back for $175 a few weeks back. Cannondale may have charged less then the $175 my LBS charged. The bump knob adjustment is new and my LBS said Cannondale replaced the valve.

To be clear "not working" mean it is unlocked all the time? If so I could not imagine leaving it like this as it would drive me crazy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Yeah, It is just unlocked all the time. Other than that it seems to work fine.

mtbr member
    Don't quite understand what you are saying here. If you want a fork that is unlocked all the time, get one that has a manual lock out and leave it unlocked. The purpose of terralogic was to have the best of both worlds without the need of moving any levers. These things work perfect for what they were designed for. If you want something else then buy something else.

Quote Originally Posted by mattmor
    Jasen,

I had my Terralogic rebuilt with the older platform that locks up until a bump threshold was met. Truthfully I would leave it with what you have, the way mine is now its locked all the time so its not really active all the time.

You can call Ted at Cannondale tech support and see what they will charge you to have it replaced. Let us know how you make out.

-matt

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    You should try to get the seller to take it back or give you the money to get it fixed. Maybe he just did not understand how it works, but there is no way one could not know one of these forks is not working if they know what it is supposed to do. Good luck.

A little more information: My LBS works on Lefty's but was advised by Cannondale to send it back. I am selling mine on e-bay and have switched to a Carbon DLR(II think ~ 3 years old) and I really miss it especially as I am riding in the snow were you go very slow over rough unpredictable terrain. My plan it to get a new Lefty in the next few months and keep the Carbon as a spare(I ride 3 or 4 times a week year round so not having a bike drives my crazy so I try to have spare stuff for parts I cannot get locally). Point is I would get it fixed and I really like this shock.

Ken

mtbr member
    Oops I deleted too much. sheppark wrote:
    "My plan it to get a new Lefty in the next few months and keep the Carbon as a spare"

Sounds like a good plan. Which model do you plan to get?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I am looking at the new Lefty Fox RLC. One just sold on ebay for $1300 so I may wait a little longer. I wish Cannondale was a little more encouraging of people who want to upgrade their bikes bit by bit as their list price for this shock is $1400. My LBS wont even sell me one they want me to buy a whole bike. I can get it from REI though.

I have a 3 year old team Rush( with 2 year old rear triangle) with SI cranks. Last year I upgraded to Crossmax SLRs, Juicy Ultimates and XO grips shifters and RP23 shock. This year I would like to upgrade the front shock and next year go to a Rush Carbon frame.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=sheppardk]I am looking at the new Lefty Fox RLC. One just sold on ebay for $1300 so I may wait a little longer. I wish Cannondale was a little more encouraging of people who want to upgrade their bikes bit by bit as their list price for this shock is $1400. My LBS wont even sell me one they want me to buy a whole bike. I can get it from REI though.

Any Cannondale distributer can do an upgrade on all lefties and frames. Basically you give them your old frame or fork or both and you get a 25% discount on your new purchase. You can do this with any old frame or fork (you can use an old headshock to upgrade to a lefty rlc if you want or you can use any old frame to get the discount on a current model frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have been racing the Lefty Terralogic fork for the last two years and mine has worked as advertised. There are a couple of things you need to keep in mind. Never hang the bike upside down, as I understand this messes up the oil around the terralogic valve. Also, when the forks are shipped the terralogic valve gets messed up in the same way. All you have to do is let the air out of the fork and cycle it through for a little bit, then air it back up and all should be well.
    I also had this same exact issue with an F80X that I raced for a couple of years.

Hope this helps as we were very frustrated with this exact same issue a couple of years ago.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Wow! Thanks. I guess I really need a better Cannondale LBS who could clue me into this sort of stuff. The 25% deal would make the pricing more "fair" sounding.