mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Lefty: take 3. Still not right

After the 2nd time in a year my fork has returned. It feels and sound the same way it did when i sent it to them. Only difference is the lockout works.

Still get a bit of play when locked out and still males a klinck. The rebound doesnt feel like it does a dam thing. Full- to full + there is no difference I can feel.

Accordin to the paper work, everything was replaced. Damper , all solo air seals, bearings ect. Im suprised it klunks the same way. When new the lock out was solid with no play. I dont know what to do now. I love this bike but out of my 8 month seao. Its been down for almost 4 months. Not to mention my warranty is up next month.

I guess thats the end if my rant.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

I am just being that ass customer? They have been good to deal with. The LBS that is helping me out has been outstanding (blacktooth grin bikes). I just want it to feel loke it did when new. I remeber being able to feel when it was on the slowest setting. Now i feel nothing. And the klunk when locked out, anyone else notice that? Its a 90mm pbr '12.

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post

I am just being that ass customer? They have been good to deal with. The LBS that is helping me out has been outstanding (blacktooth grin bikes). I just want it to feel loke it den new. I remeber being able to feel when it was on the slowest setting. Now i feel nothing. And the klunk when locked out, anyone else notice that? Its a 90mm pbr '12.
    It said they replaced the needle bearings, but if it they migrate too quickly they need to be re shimmer for proper re-load. Play when locked out means air in the oil, but since your rebound setting has no effect it seems something else is wrong as well. Do a forum search as several folks had similar rebound issues and it had to do with a setting on the lock out button.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I just got it back yesterday after 2 months. It boggles my mind that the list clearly states that the damper is new. How can they give me 2 dampers in a row that have the same problem.

I will call them tomorrow and see how things go. I might be asking for a new fork.

Thanks for the reply.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Ohh. I see what you mean. I can feel the dentents indicating its moving but mabye there is another issue.

I just dont want to be out of warranty on a for that only has 6 months of use on it.

all about the all about
    When new the lock out was solid with no play.
    When new, my 2012 XLR was rock solid when locked and with the correct amount of blow off . After only a few rides the locked-out position developed a lot of travel and the travel position was unridable (mushy mess). I don't recall any noise coming from mine and there was no noticeable change in air pressure...seemed to maintain 120psi. I currently have the fork in with C'dale as both local dealers were unwilling to even attempt a lock-out lever bleed or dig into the fork to diagnose.

Since we're still knee deep in snow and ice here in northern MI I'm not that worked up about the situation but if the Lefty problems prove to be chronic during our short season I will not be very happy with my $4000 decision.
    Last edited by Om Flyer; 03-10-2013 at 08:45 PM.
    .. If I see this bike on display with those GT bars, I am bringing my hacksaw!!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    So you want no movement when locked? Or is the blow off okay with you? If solid lock is what you're after, it can be done, but the lock out circuit needs to be swapped out.

Sounds like you'd benefit from thicker oil if the rebound level is not sufficient. Are you a heavier rider ie: 200+ lbs? Do know that Cannondales rebound at full slow is not sluggish, but slightly slower. Thus, running higher pressure for heavier riders, often calls for heavier oil, or reworking shim stacks, but often oil is more than enough.

Play at the top of lock simply mean a bubble, nothing to get overly concerned about, and these dampers are buggers at hiding little bubbles in odd corners....

They'll work just fine with one in play, and it's not indicative of a larger issue, just FYI.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks mendon, i was hoping you would chim in.

My worry is that the last time it came back "fixed", it had the knock that slowly developed into lockout traveling about an inch. It also had no rebound. Just pogoed. As it is doing now. Im 175 and run about 130psi.

We have talked about the fact cannondale soesnt have the extreme rebound of so other brands, an thats ok. But it does nothing. There is a solid click for the detens but theyvget stuck at the far - and +. They are really hard to get it started.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    Thanks mendon, i was hoping you would chim in.
    Only because I just had a customer send in a fork "with no rebound, it's a pogo stick" this week?

Rebound worked fine. I called him, and after a brief discussion, turned out he had no idea that migration would cause it to top out, and he associated the top out with it not having controlled rebound, which it did have.

So, done a reset lately?

Beyond that, and the suggestions I outlined earlier, unless it's in my hands, I can't be much more help, sorry...
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I picked up the fork yesterday, installed it last night. Locked it out, notices the same dull thud and slight travel. Worried history was repeating itself, I then tried to cycle the fork and turn rebound and it makes no difference.

As in the picture it appears to be a complete rebuild.

I wish I marked the damper to male sure it was actually changed.

I know the sound you describe on topping out (say when the front wheel pops up in the air). Thats how I know I need a reset.
    Last edited by machine4321; 03-10-2013 at 08:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Just an update. I have been in contact with cannondale. Its very hard to get past the gate keepers on the phone, but I sent an email in to customer service and they did get back to me. They have been great to deal with so far, They unfortunitly wanted the fork back. With my need to not send it back (race season is in 2 weeks) I llet some air out (set to about 50-70psi) and cycles the fork. I can feel the damped working, it just isnt very promenent. As I said to cannondale, I dont want the problem to be me and have them doing work that doesnt need to be done. Instead of sending it back I asked for a suspension tech to call me. He did and I ran him through what was happening.

He stated that the leftys are knonw to not have a ton of adjustment. Hey said it was one thing they wanted to fixe on the new damper (asuming he was talking about the 13 model). He found me a replacement fork And is sending it out. This way I can ride on my current fork and send it back when the other one gets here.

So far I have had great service from cannondale. I love my flash and hope this is the end of the fork issues. I cant imagine riding an other bike. happy They are working with me.