Thread: Lefty Supermax

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Lefty Supermax

The new Lefty Supermax is out there but I still cannot find much informations about it.
    I see it has 130mm travel, 4 different clamp distance (100.2mm, 112.9mm, 125.6mm, 137.6mm), but not much more.
    Can anyone provide more info?
    I mean: axle to crown length, fork rake, clamps diameter, possible travel variation, and any other data you have.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    It should have had 160mm because the MAX has 140. Its a step backwards.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    It's not a step backwards, it's a 29er fork with 130mm travel, while the Max only has 110 for 29er.

Ridin' dirty!
    Sorry to be a bearer of bad news but there is no way to increase the travel of the SM for use on 26'er.
    The same way you can not increase the travel on the existing MAX.
    Both the regular Max and Super Max utilize the same cartridges....no spacers or anything are used.
    I heard that maybe later down the road there might be a different cartridge available and shorter needle bearing strips to allow for more travel on 26'er bikes but as of now SUPER MAX is 130mm only.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac View Post
    Sorry to be a bearer of bad news but there is no way to increase the travel of the SM for use on 26'er.
    The same way you can not increase the travel on the existing MAX.
    Both the regular Max and Super Max utilize the same cartridges....no spacers or anything are used.
    I heard that maybe later down the road there might be a different cartridge available and shorter needle bearing strips to allow for more travel on 26'er bikes but as of now SUPER MAX is 130mm only.
    cdalemaniac, do yok know the Supermax's axle to crown and rake?

By the way, I see the cartrige has three thread position (two of them are used for the different clamp sizes), so I think some length and travel tuning will be possible.

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by savo View Post
    cdalemaniac, do yok know the Supermax's axle to crown and rake?

By the way, I see the cartrige has three thread position (two of them are used for the different clamp sizes), so I think some length and travel tuning will be possible.
    Sorry, I don't have any info on the a/c or rake.
    And as far as the travel tuning, as of now nothing planned.
    Acc. to my lbs. there might be something available further down the road...maybe even aftermarket stuff from a 3rd party....who knows...
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Doesn't matter anyway, it's all an exercise in dry humping anyway.

None are, or will be available for open stock. You need to order the complete, plastic Chinanndale to get one anyway....

Yes, I'm bitter.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Doesn't matter anyway, it's all an exercise in dry humping anyway.

None are, or will be available for open stock. You need to order the complete, plastic Chinanndale to get one anyway....

Yes, I'm bitter.
    It's not plastic, it comes on a metal bike.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    It's not plastic, it comes on a metal bike.
    Whoops, shows how much attention I'm paying. The current crop of bikes, to me, is about as exciting as watching grass grow.

Still, having a bike I don't need, bolted on to a fork I do, makes for a damn expensive fork....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

LA CHÈVRE
    Whoops, shows how much attention I'm paying. The current crop of bikes, to me, is about as exciting as watching grass grow.

Still, having a bike I don't need, bolted on to a fork I do, makes for a damn expensive fork....
    Haaa to each his own, I find the latest Cannondale bikes hard to resist, much more exciting/interesting than a few years ago! Then I look at my bank accounts...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    SAVO, for the record the Crown Height is 530mm and the rake is 60mm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_rider View Post
    SAVO, for the record the Crown Height is 530mm and the rake is 60mm.
    Thank you wv_rider!

I'd say it's too short and too raked.
    But the true point is:
    having a bike I don't need, bolted on to a fork I do, makes for a damn expensive fork....
    Seriously, isn't a 60mm rake too much for a trailbike with a steep 69° HA like the Trigger29?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Cannondale Trigger 29er on Bicycling.com | Bicycling Magazine

Good observation. In general, the answer would be yes but it is all part of Cannondale's geometry for the Trigger 29.

(See the attached video around the 1:30min mark)

SuperMax is truly integrated to the Trigger 29.

Too look at it a little differently, one might ask what what good the fork would be without the bike bolted to it.

I've never been one to get too bent on rake numbers. Never felt the magic supposedly inherent in the GF G2 geometry etc.

If they had it available, I'd bolt that to the front of my LunchBox and rock the ever lovin' crap out of it, regardless of rake......

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    I saw the 60mm figure quoted as well. However on the Cannondale site, the information for the Trigger 1 says the offset is 5.3 cm (53mm). Click the link and then click on geo: TRIGGER 29ER 1 - Trigger 29er - OverMountain - Mountain - Bikes - 2013

I think 53mm is a great offset for a stout 130mm trail fork. The Fox 34 is at 51mm so 53mm is nothing radical. This would be a great fork if it ever becomes available for a reasonable price. Maybe in a few years they will trickle down to ebay.

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    Ok, I just noticed that when I click on the Trigger 2 with the Fox 34 fork, and the Trigger 3 with the Rockshox fork, they are also showing a fork rake of 5.3 cm. Huh?? So now I'm thinking that the fork offset information on the C-dale site is incorrect. I'd still want one at 60mm though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_rider View Post
    Cannondale Trigger 29er on Bicycling.com | Bicycling Magazine

Good observation. In general, the answer would be yes but it is all part of Cannondale's geometry for the Trigger 29.

(See the attached video around the 1:30min mark)

SuperMax is truly integrated to the Trigger 29.

Too look at it a little differently, one might ask what what good the fork would be without the bike bolted to it.
    I took a look at that video, he's relating (and justifying) the 60mm rake to the 'slack' head angle. I don't think 69° to be a slack head angle, I think it's quite steep indeed, but that's only my opinion.

I'd still take the fork too, even with its 60mm rake, if only it came without the bike bolted to it.