mtbr member

Lefty on a Stumpjumper Expert Carbon 29?

I have a 2010 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Carbon 29 and also upgradeitis (is that a word?)...

I was thinking of replacing the front fork (Fox F29RL, 90mm, compression and rebound adj. w/ LO, tapered steerer) with a Cannondale Carbon Lefty.

Questions: Is there a good market for the take-off fork? I don't think I could afford this without selling the Fox F29RL.

Which Lefty would work? It seems there are quite a few permutations...I would like the best and lightest.

Would it change the geometry?

Is this a bad idea, money aside?

Any other upgrades I should consider? I don't race or jump, or anything like that. I just like to ride.

Marc82Much
    Kenosha, WI

mtbr member
    You would have to find someone to custom make you a tapered steerer tube that you could run a standard 1 1/8th stem on. I have not seen any yet. The Stumpjumper Expert 29 is most likely my next bike too. Selling that fork would be a tough call, its kind of a niche still because its tapered, I would probably only do it if I knew a buyer was interested.

mtbr member

Good advice...

Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb
    You would have to find someone to custom make you a tapered steerer tube that you could run a standard 1 1/8th stem on. I have not seen any yet. The Stumpjumper Expert 29 is most likely my next bike too. Selling that fork would be a tough call, its kind of a niche still because its tapered, I would probably only do it if I knew a buyer was interested.
    Thanks. I think I will bag the Lefty idea. My "upgraditis" issue will have to be assuaged another way. What else could I upgrade? Handlebar, stem, rear cassette? Or just leave it alone...for awhile.
    Marc82Much
    Kenosha, WI

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    All of those, but mostly the engine

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin
    Thanks. I think I will bag the Lefty idea. My "upgraditis" issue will have to be assuaged another way. What else could I upgrade? Handlebar, stem, rear cassette? Or just leave it alone...for awhile.

Lefty Heaven
    Mar 2007
    There are some clever guys around who could make the steerer adapter for you. I considered buying an S-Works 29er, but I love Cannondales too much.
    If you decide you want to convert to a Lefty have a chat to maybe Eliflap or Mattias Hellore. I know Eliflap has or has had a custom carbon steerer. Surely it wouldnt be too much trouble for the guy who made it to change the size of the bottom section of the steerer.
    Good luck with your Stumpy

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Specialized makes an adapter cup which reduces the lower headtube to 1 1/8". From there you should be able to use standard 1 1/8" adapter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I think King does as well. Then see Jake @ Project 321 for the 1 1/8" steer tube for the Lefty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin
    I have a 2010 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Carbon 29 and also upgradeitis (is that a word?)...

I was thinking of replacing the front fork (Fox F29RL, 90mm, compression and rebound adj. w/ LO, tapered steerer) with a Cannondale Carbon Lefty.

Questions: Is there a good market for the take-off fork? I don't think I could afford this without selling the Fox F29RL.

Which Lefty would work? It seems there are quite a few permutations...I would like the best and lightest.

Would it change the geometry?

Is this a bad idea, money aside?

Any other upgrades I should consider? I don't race or jump, or anything like that. I just like to ride.

We will have a lefty adapter available shortly for the tapered head tubes. 1.5" on bottom and 1.125" on top. We have a customer that is doing exactly what your talking about on that same frame as soon as our adapter is available. It should be a sweet build with a carbon lefty SL @ just over 2.5lbs. I'll post pics once it's done if your interested.
    Jake-Project321

mtbr member
    A picture of the new tapered head tube lefty adapter.
    Available now!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lefty on a Stumpjumper Expert Carbon 29?-project321_tapered.jpg  

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    Jake....awesome!!!!

now, any idea if you guys are gonna offer pink hubs or at least a pink hub cap???
    "forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    Jake....awesome!!!!

now, any idea if you guys are gonna offer pink hubs or at least a pink hub cap???
    Kam,
    Probably no pink in our near future. If you have your heart set on it give me a call and I'll see what I can do for a one off set for you.