mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Lefty Stripped Threads

I have a second hand Lefty, about a year old I'd say. I'd never taken the front wheel off before but di the other WE. The threads feld bad when I took it off and it just wouldn't screw back on again.

I took the lefty into the cannondale dealer - they extracted the screw from the hub so that we could try and screw it in to the spindle.

MY GOD! I've never seen anything like it! The screw dropped into the ''threaded'' hole on the spindle, with clearance. Although there appeared to be threads there, there was nothing for it to hold on to. I cannot figure out how the threads could possibly have been stripped this badly, honestly it was like throwing a sausage down an alleyway!

Has anyone else heard of such a problem?

I've got to have the whole bottom bit of the fork replaced - here goes 200 euro!

mtbr member
    If I'm not mistaken there is a threaded insert in the spindle, I believe it can heli-coil. Find that, reinstall it and your sausage should fit as tight as a sauage in a warm bun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hugh088
    If I'm not mistaken there is a threaded insert in the spindle, I believe it can heli-coil. Find that, reinstall it and your sausage should fit as tight as a sauage in a warm bun.
    That's interesting. It didn't look like that when I took a look and I'm not sure an insert would hold the stresses this thing would be under...?

Are you talking to me?

Heli-coil it.

the newer Leftys have the heli-coil already installed. No big deal. I am not sure of the coil size, but I am sure that Craig (Mendoncyclesmith) will chime in at some point.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I just realised you're both right! When I took the wheel off, a strange spring was hanging off, it sounds stupid but my m8 (who has a Lefty) just wrote it off as something to help the wheel come off...

I just zipped down to the bike shop, took a look at a new lefty and sure enough a Heli0coil. Mine is missing, one is on order!

Thanks very much guys! You just saved me a whole loada cash!

Cheers

Ssushi