Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Drink...sleep
    Reputation: Boozzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    572

    Lefty spring weight

    Hey all,
    I've got another Lefty question again I've got a new Lefty Max SPV 140mm with a black steel spring for my Prophet SL, and it's too stiff. I weigh around 85 kg (187 lbs), and I get just over 2 cm of sag with minimum preload and the SPV volume turned all the way out. I've also got an older Lefty Max TPC+ 120mm with a blue titanium spring, which is just a tiny bit too soft for me (without preload), as I get around 3,5 cm sag on that one. I've tried putting the titanium spring in the SPV fork, and I got 3 cm of sag, not quite enough I think.
    Does anyone know which steel spring is similar in weight to the pre-2004 titanium blue spring? Because I'm not sure which (steel) spring to get for my SPV Lefty, the red or blue one.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Are you talking to me?
    Reputation: damion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3,884

    All this info is on the Dale site.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boozzz
    Hey all,
    I've got another Lefty question again I've got a new Lefty Max SPV 140mm with a black steel spring for my Prophet SL, and it's too stiff. I weigh around 85 kg (187 lbs), and I get just over 2 cm of sag with minimum preload and the SPV volume turned all the way out. I've also got an older Lefty Max TPC+ 120mm with a blue titanium spring, which is just a tiny bit too soft for me (without preload), as I get around 3,5 cm sag on that one. I've tried putting the titanium spring in the SPV fork, and I got 3 cm of sag, not quite enough I think.
    Does anyone know which steel spring is similar in weight to the pre-2004 titanium blue spring? Because I'm not sure which (steel) spring to get for my SPV Lefty, the red or blue one.

    Thanks!

    With a liittle looking, I dug it up. You are lucky. I was going to just tell you to look it up.

    http://www.cannondale.com/Asset/iu_f...140_EN_web.pdf

    This says RED for a rider 170-189, so you will have to add some preload spacers, but that is no big deal.


    KF213/RED for the steel spring
    KF214/RED for the Ti spring of the same rate.
    gfy

  3. #3
    Drink...sleep
    Reputation: Boozzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    572
    Hey Damion,
    Yeah, I know about that. You didn't need to look it up for me. I was just wondering if anyone had some experience about the spring colour Cannondale suggests for a certain rider weight being too firm in the SPV fork. I thought I read somewhere that someone was using a green spring, while according to the Cannondale chart he should be on a blue.

    Still, I don't know which current spring matches the weight of the old blue titanium spring. I'm guessing red, and if that's so, it's too stiff for my tastes.

    But, thanks anyway

  4. #4
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,431
    Quote Originally Posted by Boozzz
    Hey Damion,
    Yeah, I know about that. You didn't need to look it up for me. I was just wondering if anyone had some experience about the spring colour Cannondale suggests for a certain rider weight being too firm in the SPV fork. I thought I read somewhere that someone was using a green spring, while according to the Cannondale chart he should be on a blue.

    Still, I don't know which current spring matches the weight of the old blue titanium spring. I'm guessing red, and if that's so, it's too stiff for my tastes.

    But, thanks anyway
    The Steel and Ti springs have different characteristics, so it's tough to compare them to each other. If you are looking at steel, stick with steel for comparitive sake. If the black is too heavy, your ly option would be going back down one, (as if this weren't obvious). The steel ones are cheap enough, I would just do that. All this said though, the TPC adds a different dimension to the fork, entirely. It makes it feel more dead, and reduces small bump compliance. This will make spring rate harder to determine, based on trail feel, not sag though. Hmm, have I really added anything here? =

  5. #5
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Boozzz
    Hey Damion,
    Yeah, I know about that. You didn't need to look it up for me. I was just wondering if anyone had some experience about the spring colour Cannondale suggests for a certain rider weight being too firm in the SPV fork. I thought I read somewhere that someone was using a green spring, while according to the Cannondale chart he should be on a blue.

    Still, I don't know which current spring matches the weight of the old blue titanium spring. I'm guessing red, and if that's so, it's too stiff for my tastes.

    But, thanks anyway
    You are not alone. My bike came with the stock spring for a medium and I thought I would have to fully preload it (according to Cannondale, at my weight, I'm at the end of that spring) but I had to set it to minimum preload to make it nice (which it really is). And I won't talk about the Swinger, it was even worse!

    Maybe I just lost some weight.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  6. #6
    Drink...sleep
    Reputation: Boozzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    572
    Thanks guys, I'll try a red spring then and keep the black as a backup in case I gain some extra weight during Christmas time. Uhh, pure muscle of course

  7. #7
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Boozzz
    Thanks guys, I'll try a red spring then and keep the black as a backup in case I gain some extra weight during Christmas time. Uhh, pure muscle of course
    Ha Ha
    I, like a northern animal, gain weight on purpose to stay warm in the winter!

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •