mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Lefty spindle thread got stripped...help

I accidentally stripped my Lefty's spindle "thread", so the spring like thread is now damaged, how can i replace this???? i went to a machine shop which said its called sumthin like....spring thread???? its basically a spring like material which is inserted into the spindle to make a thread. help!!!!!

i cant install my wheel anymore

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bruno787 View Post
    I accidentally stripped my Lefty's spindle "thread", so the spring like thread is now damaged, how can i replace this???? i went to a machine shop which said its called sumthin like....spring thread???? its basically a spring like material which is inserted into the spindle to make a thread. help!!!!!

i cant install my wheel anymore
    Relax, it'll be okay. You need to find a good bike shop, or perhaps a car repair or motorcycle repair shop.

You need a 10X1 mm Helicoil. You simply pulled out the Helicoil that was in there, those aren't the threads of the spindle, they are a removable thread core, installed at the factory for just this reason. Far cheaper to toss a Helicoil in, that replace the lower leg.

For future reference, don't tighten the hub on so tightly.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Yeah, I thought I had stripped mine as well. Didn't realize there was a helicoil in there from the factory, but after a quick trip to a local machine shop we figured it out. Luckily I also figured out that I didn't strip the threads. I did have to order a new axle bolt though.

I would think any competent machine shop would easily be able to repair this for you.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have a related question and would love some help. The end of my lefty spindle got fairly heavily abraded when it punched through a box during shipping. It was directly on the end, and does not appear to have impacted the bearing seat. However, when I go to put the wheel on it will not go on all the way. It ends up about 2mm short of where it should be.

The threads do not feel like they are binding, and I can't imagine how wearing down the end of the spindle would hold the hub off too far, if anything, I would think it might pull in too far.

So, I guess my questions are: 1. Has anyone experienced this before or have any idea what is causing it? 2. if it is being caused by the slight damage to the spindle, how screwed am I - how hard/expensive is it to replace the lower leg?

Thanks

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by nfsiv View Post
    1. Has anyone experienced this before or have any idea what is causing it? 2. if it is being caused by the slight damage to the spindle, how screwed am I - how hard/expensive is it to replace the lower leg?
    May just be hanging up somehow, any burrs that can be filed away?

Lower's are $200 pretty much. Used of course could be much less....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    That is what I was thinking too. It does not look or feel like there are any but maybe I will just take a file to the edges to be sure. Thanks for your help. Worst case $200 is not too painful, but I hate to buy parts for dumb fixes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Old post, new problem. Im not sure what happened, but when i tried to remove my crossmax rim, the axle bolt just spins. I had previously removed the brake caliper if that was a future question. I posted a video on youtube for review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpx8...e_gdata_player

Thanks and any help would be much appreciated.

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by GTfreefall View Post
    Old post, new problem. Im not sure what happened, but when i tried to remove my crossmax rim, the axle bolt just spins. I had previously removed the brake caliper if that was a future question. I posted a video on youtube for review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpx8...e_gdata_player

Thanks and any help would be much appreciated.
    Remove the cap with a spanner tool and see if the bolt comes right out or not, seems to be completely lose already.
    Caution though, the cap is reverse threaded!
    Then bring the whole thing to an authorized cannondale dealer to have the helicoil replaced.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V