Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 49
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    100

    The lefty speedo mounting thread.

    Yes, for our riding pleasure on our lefties. Please post pictures of how you would mount your sensor on your lefty fork and what speedometer you're using on your cannondale. I haven't got a slightest clue how I would mount my cateye "cordless 7" on that lefty but as soon as I get a consensus i'd do so.

  2. #2
    can o ale
    Reputation: DubOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    69
    just search the older threads,theres a ton of info on several different mounting configurations.
    I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone… but they've always worked for me," . Hunter S Thompson

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by DubOne
    just search the older threads,theres a ton of info on several different mounting configurations.
    I did, but nothing came out. Maybe you can post a list of keywords to use for the search? thanks

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    241
    Key word "lefty computer" try search title first then search the whole post. you most likely will find couple post that talk about the mounting method. What kind of mount does your computer come with, zip tie or bracket? if it is zip tie, just zip tie it with your boot, that is what i did. i have a cateye OS so it might have the same type of mount. if you want to see pic, search for some of my post and they have the pic on it.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    22
    Mount A Small Magnet, With Crazy Glue, On The Brake Rotor

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by C-dog
    Mount A Small Magnet, With Crazy Glue, On The Brake Rotor
    ok, thought of that and now that you mention it, I think that will be a better way to do it. anyone tried self adhesive tape on the magnets over "crazy glue" mentioned by c dog?

    But in my not so humble opinion, is it safe to mount the sensor on the front part of the fork? I personally do not think so as it would get hit by any rocks or branches and fall off.
    2 cents :P

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomant
    ok, thought of that and now that you mention it, I think that will be a better way to do it. anyone tried self adhesive tape on the magnets over "crazy glue" mentioned by c dog?

    But in my not so humble opinion, is it safe to mount the sensor on the front part of the fork? I personally do not think so as it would get hit by any rocks or branches and fall off.
    2 cents :P
    Mavic makes a slim-line magnet that will put a hole in your wallet. With a box knife you can shape it so it will fit on the rotor of a hayes...it will probably work on any rotor. Your BIG problem on a cordless is the transmit distance. I have not found one that will do the job correctly when located near the axle. It works for a while but when the battery is not 100% then its intermittent basd on your fork compression. I am told vetta is ok but for me.... seeing is believing on this one !

    What works for me is bend a bracket to hold your transmitter and bolt that bracket to the top most bolt of your brake caliper. Works a charm for me now I have found the x-section size of aluminium that wont vibrate too much. I'll post a photo over easter.
    R.I.P 26ers....

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by yiucycle
    Key word "lefty computer" try search title first then search the whole post. you most likely will find couple post that talk about the mounting method. What kind of mount does your computer come with, zip tie or bracket? if it is zip tie, just zip tie it with your boot, that is what i did. i have a cateye OS so it might have the same type of mount. if you want to see pic, search for some of my post and they have the pic on it.
    Zip tie mount.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    Sofa King We Todd Did
    Reputation: SpinWheelz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,268
    I have a Cateye Enduro 8 computer. I saw no need to try and force fit the sensor onto the Lefty, so I opted to get the Mity 8 sensor kit with the super-long cable. I wrapped the thin cable around my rear hydraulic brake cable, mounted the sensor on the rear swingarm of my Jekyll, and slapped the magnet on my rear wheel.

    Works like a charm, problem solved.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    I have a Cateye Enduro 8 computer. I saw no need to try and force fit the sensor onto the Lefty, so I opted to get the Mity 8 sensor kit with the super-long cable. I wrapped the thin cable around my rear hydraulic brake cable, mounted the sensor on the rear swingarm of my Jekyll, and slapped the magnet on my rear wheel.

    Works like a charm, problem solved.
    I am trying like the devil to avoid unncessary cables. I'm so stubborn on that one that I manufactured a number of mounts and bought a number of computers until I found something that works. Kind of anal I know, but for some reason I cant bear the sight/thought of extra cables !!! I need to get a life.
    R.I.P 26ers....

  11. #11
    Sofa King We Todd Did
    Reputation: SpinWheelz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,268
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Missile
    I am trying like the devil to avoid unncessary cables. I'm so stubborn on that one that I manufactured a number of mounts and bought a number of computers until I found something that works. Kind of anal I know, but for some reason I cant bear the sight/thought of extra cables !!! I need to get a life.
    Thing is, you don't see this extra sensor cable 'cause it's wrapped tightly around the rear brake cable. It's practically invisible. I'd post pictures of it if you want. I'm really happy with the setup as I wanted to maintain one computer only and I knew that I wanted to use a wired setup in order to avoid any external interference.

  12. #12
    el Rappazapator
    Reputation: joschi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    22

    Good job! The perfect solution

    Have a look at "http://www.maliceonline.com/lefty___seb_4973.php". maybe a little bit pricy but definitely the perfect way to mount a sensor to your lefty.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by joschi
    Have a look at "http://www.maliceonline.com/lefty___seb_4973.php". maybe a little bit pricy but definitely the perfect way to mount a sensor to your lefty.

    my set up works great--it was suggested to me by a Cannondale team rider, Cateye Enduro 2 with pickup on the fork and mag on the rotor

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    22
    my set up
    Attached Images Attached Images

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by C-dog
    my set up
    hrr hrr hrr, just mounted my cordless 7 with no brackets at all. will post it up later tonight for critiques....

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    100
    alright guys, here are some pictures of how I mounted my cordless 7 computer with the standard mounting kit on my f800 and rode 70km on and off road without any problems. Spot any flaws? anyway I would've made it better?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomant
    alright guys, here are some pictures of how I mounted my cordless 7 computer with the standard mounting kit on my f800 and rode 70km on and off road without any problems. Spot any flaws? anyway I would've made it better?
    I know I'm referring to an old post but did your speedo mounting system work. I'm trying to fit a cateye cordless as well but was worried that the distance from the sensor to the speedo might be too much (recommended less than 700mm).

    When I tried mounting the sensor by youyr method I also found that the sensor was a fair way away from the magnet - was this a problem for you.

    As I've got the Marta SL's I don't have the additional post bolts that other brake systems have so I can't mount a bracket to the brake bolts.

    Any help would be appreciated.

  18. #18
    Roamer
    Reputation: Thundermaxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    11
    C-dog, did you have to grind off some of your magnet? I don't have enough clearance to get past the arm if i just cut the threads off the back. I have a Cateye that I'm trying to mount on mine.
    Let's Ride!!!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    117
    Actually I have the same setup as C-Dog with a Sigma Sport BC1600 wired sensor and a Cateye magnet I got by opening up a Astrale cadence magnet casing. I just superglued the chromed magnet to my disc rotor (Magura 180mm) at around the same spot as C-Dog, no mods needed. I find that's the best magnet to use cuz it's very low profile, chromed so the magnet is protected unlike bare black ones that tend to chip. Had this setup on my F800 / Lefty DLR Ti since October and works like a charm.

  20. #20
    Roamer
    Reputation: Thundermaxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    11
    It's a magnet that's supposed to mount to the spokes but it has a screw on the back of it. I'll put up pics later unless you know what I mean. It's not just a magnet alone. Testing with the magnet just stuck to the disc it hits the arm. I need a little off for it to pass by the arm where his is located.
    Let's Ride!!!

  21. #21
    Huge Tracts of Land
    Reputation: Mtbrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    165
    I have found using mavic zircal (flat blaed spoke) magnets work very well with the rotors

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    132
    buy a lefty computer mount..its a lil less than $20, so ur bike will b all original!!!!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: akhoundog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    25
    use an enduro 8 and run the wire down the brake line, besure to check the routing while compressing the suspension.

    mount the sensor on the upper disk brake mount, not where the adapter mounts to the fork but rather where the adapter mounts to the caliper. the sensor will be mounted horizontally but it will work fine. mount the magnet as you normally would on the spokes.
    Large hills tell only truth

  24. #24
    Drink...sleep
    Reputation: Boozzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    567
    Quote Originally Posted by akhoundog
    use an enduro 8 and run the wire down the brake line, besure to check the routing while compressing the suspension.

    mount the sensor on the upper disk brake mount, not where the adapter mounts to the fork but rather where the adapter mounts to the caliper. the sensor will be mounted horizontally but it will work fine. mount the magnet as you normally would on the spokes.
    Yep, like so. Have been running it like this fine for close to a year now; it's easy and, best of all, free.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2

    Cordless 7 on Lefty MAX

    Hi everybody!

    I've studied this thread and manufactured my own holder for cordless7 from kid's meccano just in five minutes. It's fixed on upper caliper bolt and holds sensor perfectly well!

    One problem I faced now: the distance between the computer and sensor is too big. When I hold the comp just 5 cm lower the handle bar everything works, when I put it into it's cradle onto handle bar it loosing the signal.

    Does it look normal? Got any ideas?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Best way to mount computer on lefty fork?
    By mikenbike in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-01-2014, 06:52 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-21-2005, 09:07 PM
  3. Computer mounting on Lefty Speed Carbon DLR2?
    By C-dog in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-17-2005, 02:33 AM
  4. Need help: Mounting a carbo lefty...
    By Denis in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-05-2004, 09:53 PM
  5. Cannondale Lefty Max+ compared to TALAS :my $.02
    By dawgcatching in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-13-2004, 11:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •